Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So you agree...

I said the only argument you could take a lesser OLB over a better CB is because you're unlikely to find a quality pass rusher.  Personally, I had Watt rated a bit higher than King, but I vividly remember being on the higher end with regards to Watt.  There was nothing wrong with taking Kevin King over Watt.  IF King hit, we're talking about an elite corner.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I said the only argument you could take a lesser OLB over a better CB is because you're unlikely to find a quality pass rusher.  Personally, I had Watt rated a bit higher than King, but I vividly remember being on the higher end with regards to Watt.  There was nothing wrong with taking Kevin King over Watt.  IF King hit, we're talking about an elite corner.

I think this is a fallacy. Given what I've read about how close the Packers were at taking Watt at 28 and not hearing the same about King, I see little doubt that Watt was rated higher...

If Watt makes it to 33, he's a Packer. 

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly didnt know much about King because the consensus was he had 3rd round tape but was a workout warrior at the combine and shot up boards. I'm not here trying to **** all over King and I pointed out that the play of Watt and Kings, plus injuries,  is hindsight so I didnt go there. At the time the pick was made you prioritize pass rushers given the limited resources available in acquiring them through other means even later in the draft. There were more avenues to get a CB than EDGE. Even if you grade Watt and King together (I would bet Watt was higher and would have been the pick at 33), you lean pass rusher if you need a tie-breaker and getting an extra 4th rd pick as a means of sacrificing the pass rusher is a bad move imo. 

Now compare that to 2018 where we gave up Davenport to get Alexander but got an extra 1st. Ignoring that Alexander is the better player, pretend he wasn't, it's still a good move. That's a different ball game because of the value of the extra compensation.

He was viewed as a Day 2 prospect because he was viewed as a marginal athlete and he was too grabby when he was at Washington.  But that doesn't change the fact that he had talent.  When he posted that 4.43 forty at the Combine, people were skeptical that was a real number.  Going back the last 5 combines, there's been 4 DBs who have posted a 4.45 or lower 40 yard dash and at least 6'3": Akhello Witherspoon, Obi Melifonwu, Kevin King, and Taylor Mays.  Only Witherspoon and King were viewed as CB prospects.  If you move that marker to 4.5 or less, you have 5 cornerbacks: Holton Hill, Witherspoon, King, Brian Allen, and Sean Smith.  You don't find that kind of athlete at cornerback.  They're usually playing WR.  Just for comparison, over that 10 year period there have been 41 WR prospects who were at least 6'3" and ran a 4.5 forty or less.  King is a WR-level athlete playing CB.  He was a rare athlete.

But back to TJ Watt, there were a TON of posters who believed if his last name was something other than Watt, he'd have been a late Day 2 pick at the earliest.  Instead, he was a first round pick based largely off one year of production.  And there were even fewer posters who felt that the combination of Biegel/King was less valuable than Watt.  King was graded higher.  Ted Thompson traded down to pick up another asset, and still got his man.  Do you think that he would willingly trade down knowing that Watt was unlikely to fall to him at 33?  I don't.

The only reason you're putting that last comment in there is because Alexander is playing better than Davenport.  The only reason you're arguing this part is because Watt has been better (i.e. healthier) than King.  IF they were closer and the Packers got some value out of Biegel, you wouldn't be making this argument.

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think this is a fallacy. Given what I've read about how close the Packers were at taking Watt at 28 and not hearing the same about King, I see little doubt that Watt was rated higher...

If Watt makes it to 33, he's a Packer. 

Yet the Packers had the opportunity to take Watt at 28, and they chose not to.  They chose to trade down.  If Watt was clearly the BPA, why didn't they take him?

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

Yet the Packers had the opportunity to take Watt at 28, and they chose not to.  They chose to trade down.  If Watt was clearly the BPA, why didn't they take him?

Even if the Packers stayed put, even in light of the rumors they considered taking him, it was not a guarantee they would have taken him.  We probably wouldn't have taken King over Watt at 29, but we also could have taken Ryan Ramcyzk, who is better than either King or Watt.  

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Even if the Packers stayed put, even in light of the rumors they considered taking him, it was not a guarantee they would have taken him.  We probably wouldn't have taken King over Watt at 29, but we also could have taken Ryan Ramcyzk, who is better than either King or Watt.  

They weren't taking Ramczyk.  They were going with a defender.  Especially in what was viewed as a mediocre OL class.  It was Watt or King.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They weren't taking Ramczyk.  They were going with a defender.  Especially in what was viewed as a mediocre OL class.  It was Watt or King.

All of this attempted revisionist history. We absolutely needed a CB in that draft. I wanted Watt, but it was obvious TT had his sights set on King. It's too early to tell if he was right or wrong. King stays healthy he can play CB. I've seen quite a few of Watt's sacks and not many are where he just cleanly whips his guy and gets to the QB in a hurry. 

Not sure he isn't a product of the system guy. 

20 hours ago, Siman08/OH said:

Honestly...how many times has the defense BLOWN it after Rodgers gave them a chance to win? How many times has it happened multiple times in a single game? I betcha it’s half those times.

As a Capers hater since 2011, there is certainly something to be said for that. Only posted it as an addition to our overall record against winning teams on the road. We just aren't as good as once thought

Andy Herman:

GB is going to have some intriguing decisions in the offseason.

Potential 2019 cap savings if released:

T. Davis - $720k
Graham - $4mil
Bulaga - $6.75mil
Spriggs - $1.13mil
K. Murphy - $720k
L. Taylor - $4.23mil
Perry - $11mil
Morrison - $720k
Tramon - $4.75mil
Crosby - $3.6mil

Geronimo Allison another really interesting decision. An original round tender for Allison as a RFA would be $2,035,000.00. That’s a fairly big contract for Allison.

By not resigning any free agents (Cobb, Matthews, Ryan, Mo, etc.), not tendering GMo, and releasing Murphy, Perry, and Morrison, plus not moving any of the dead space to 2020 and adjusting salaries, I get GB to about $50mil in cap space with 38 players on the roster.

Edited by Leader

Andy Herman:

In 2018 the Packers are paying $47 million & about 26% of the teams’ total salary for Cobb, Clay, Perry, Graham, Kendricks, Lewis & Bell.
That’s kind of a lot for what amounts to: 73 catches - 848 yards - 4TD - 4 sacks and one of the worst starting offensive lineman in football.

16 hours ago, Leader said:

Geronimo Allison another really interesting decision. An original round tender for Allison as a RFA would be $2,035,000.00. That’s a fairly big contract for Allison.

That'd make him the 76th highest paid WR.  You give him that in a heartbeat, especially given the production he had to start the year before he got injured.  Right now, you're moving forward with Adams, MVS, and Allison as your starters, and ESB as your #4.