Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What the hell are you talking about?

Corey Bojorquez was the holder for the entire season. 

Hunter Bradley was the Long Snapper for 8 games. Steven Wirtel was the Long Snapper for 9 games, plus 1 playoff game. 

Yeah JK Scott, change #1. Hunter Bradley, change #2.

That's the hell I'm talking about, not too hard to comprehend there, come on.

Obviously Bojo => O'Donnell isn't about money. 

"O'Donnell ranked 23rd in @PFF punting grade, 31st (out of 35) in net punting average and 32nd in average hangtime last season."

Dumb Q's: 

1. How do you end up 23rd in grade, while being near last in both average and hangtime?  
  2. His return-yards allowed were much higher than Bojo's.  375 to 268.  So it's not like high being unable to outkick-the-coverage resulted in less return yards.
  3. Is net-yardage overused to some degree?  That's a primary stat used for punters... but there are ten other guys on the team involved in the net.  Wouldn't any punter's net have suffered given the play of the other Packers involved in special teams?  

Dumb comments:

1. If the Packers offense improves, and somehow both the passing game and the running game are above average, maybe we'll score on more drives and punt less often?  :):)
  2. Maybe the job should be retitled?  "Field-goal-holder" as the title, with punting as a secondary skill?  (Kinda like for non-Adams receivers, they should perhaps be retitled as "wide-blockers" rather than "wide-receivers"?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah JK Scott, change #1. Hunter Bradley, change #2.

That's the hell I'm talking about, not too hard to comprehend there, come on.

JK Scott never held for Crosby this regular season, and Crosby didn't miss a kick until Week 5. There is no excuse to be made for the JK Scott change. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Leader said:

David Byrne -  I feel like Bojos release was more due to his holding on FGs more or less than his punting abilities. I feel like that’s not talked about enough in his release.

Isn't that what everyone is saying? I haven't been on Twitter but that was all I thought it was and figured most of us thought that way. 

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

Isn't that what everyone is saying? I haven't been on Twitter but that was all I thought it was and figured most of us thought that way. 

IMO the kicking game has a handful of problems last year and nobody's performance came away unscathed.
Hopefully - like beating the dirt out of an old rug - hopefully GBs set things up for all around improvement this year.

This new punter? Dont know anything about him other than he was decent kicking in CHI conditions - which is about as close to GB conditions as you could find....outside of BUF (perhaps) :)

Edited by Leader

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He does not suck.

Agreed. But he has gone through moments of suckitude, like most kickers.

If we rewind the tape to the fateful Cincinnati game - we'll see that the Bengals kicker missed on (2) opportunities to win the game in the 4th quarter. The young, strong-legged McPherson failed both times, while Crosby finally came through. 

Then McPherson went on epic run through the playoffs without missing...so does he suck or is he clutch ?

tootsie-pop-owl-pic-300x225.jpg

• Like 2

Peter Bukowski -   Randall Cobb didn't have huge total production numbers last season, but 21 of his 28 receptions converted first downs.

His 75% conversion rate was matched by only 6 other WRs with at least as many catches.

Only 1 WR had a higher TD rate per target. High-leverage player.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

@packfanfb

Crosby

1. 49 non touchback, non squib kickoffs.
  2. 20 of them ended up past the 25 yard line. This equated to 223 yards.
  3. 24 of them ended up before the 25 yard line. This equated to 152 yards.
  4. 5 of them ended up on the 25 yard line.
  5. 20/49 = 41% of Crosby's non touchback kickoffs ended up past the 25 yard line.
  6. 158 - 223 = 65 yards
  7. 65 yards/17 games = 3.8 yards per game. 

vs. Bears

• Not Touchback (41 yard line)
  • Not Touchback (40 yard line)
  • Not Touchback (42 yard line)
  • Not Touchback (8 yard line)
  • Not Touchback (13 yard line)
  • Not Touchback (21 yard line)

vs. Ravens

• Not Touchback (23 yard line)
  • Not Touchback (27 yard line)
  • Not Touchback (37 yard line)

Vs. Browns

• Not Touchback (30 yard line)
  • Not Touchback (15 yard line)

Vs. Vikings

• Not Touchback (34 yard line)
  • Not Touchback (37 yard line)
  • Not Touchback (19 yard line)

Vs. Lions

Alex, I kinda selectively pulled the late-season games.  Seemed like the "red" not-touchback kicks exceeded the green, and sometimes by more significant amounts. Perhaps after Halloween, the coaches should have just kicked for touchbacks?  

Alex and RT or anybody, can you expand on the risk-reward analysis?  Your premise is that ST coach is instructing the kicker to "not-touchback".  The statistics show that doing "not-touchback" costs you about 4 yards per game, 65 total.   And perhaps the cost is a little worse in late-season cold.  So, Q's:  

1. If it costs you ~4 ypg, why instruct for that?  Where's the advantage?
  2. If it does no good and low-cost hard, don't you still need to expend practice time working on covering those? Isn't that a waste of time if you could just touchback-it at will?  Where's the advantage?  
  3. A factor is that there are a couple of long returns, which skew the average.  Part of me thinks many coaches would prefer to avoid the big play, so would rather play it conservative.  But, that apparently wasn't the instruction?  Is the perception that minus a couple of big plays, that there *IS* some advantage?  
  4. Do league-wide stats suggest that there is advantage, and the Packers are exceptional in being disadvantaged when they do non-touchback kicks?  
  5. In my mind, +/- 7 yards isn't a big deal.  Is it a significant value to get an occasional not-touchback that results in the opponent starting inside the 20?  Enough reward so that you're willing to allow for a couple of start-at-the-32 in order to get a chance for one start-at-the-18?  
  6. Alex, your logic on the capacity to kick it into the end zone based on field-goal capacity is very convincing.  Does that carry over into cold-weather kicking?   I don't remember how many 50-yard field goals Crosby got in the cold versus warm, or with the wind versus against it.  

25 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

If we rewind the tape to the fateful Cincinnati game - we'll see that the Bengals kicker missed on (2) opportunities to win the game in the 4th quarter. The young, strong-legged McPherson failed both times, while Crosby finally came through. 

Then McPherson went on epic run through the playoffs without missing...so does he suck or is he clutch ?

A key difference is how the rest of the season went for both:

McPherson only missed 2 FGs and 2 XPs the rest of the season. 

Crosby missed 5 FGs and had one blocked (on about 11 fewer attempts) and missed 1 XP.

38 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

McPherson made the most 50+ yd FGs(9/11) last year and was 11% better overall than Crosby.

I know where I'd rank those two relative to one another.

• Like 1