Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

42 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

1. You said the Patriots never moved on from elite players via trade or allowing them in free agency. I quickly pointed out four cases. Of course you want to change the narrative, you're wrong. 

2. Richard Seymour was the same age as Davante Adams. Both were 29 when traded. 

2. He played 4 more years with the Raiders and was damn good in 3 of those years.

3. They got a first round pick for him.

4. Now you want to wait on extending Jaire for 'five games' to see how his shoulder is. The Packers want to extend him NOW for cap relief short-term to ad a few pieces. Are you willing to pay him that money now? I see how you changed the narrative there. 

5. Finally, Ramsey got 20 a year. I was on board with paying him that. Howard is now at 25. That is a big jump. I'm not on board with that. You don't seem to want to put a number on when it's too much. Put on your big boy pants and state a number per year you are willing to give Jaire. 

Good lord dude. The original post YOU quoted said "elite players at premium positions get paid."  What you provided was a list of good players and a 30 year old as if that somehow dispells what i said. Once again, none of those players you mentioned were elite, some of them aren't even premium positions. Oakland didn't even want to commit to Seymour long term handing out one and two year deals, which they ended up voiding anyway. And we have different views on what's "damn good."  Averaging 4.5 sacks a year isn't damn good. We're talking about a 25 year old entering his prime, yet you think a 30 year old at his end is apples to apples 🤦‍♂️. The narrative hasn't changed at all.

Why you brought up NE is beyond me, because they don't operate any differently than Green Bay does. We let good, top players walk all the time too. Unless Linsley, Bulaga, Hayward, Hyde, Jennings, Lang, and Sitton aren't good players, because that's exactly the same list of players you provided me, only they wore NE uniforms instead. 

I'm beginning to think you have me confused with someone else. Because your 4th point has nothing to do with anything I've said, unless you can quote me to where i said anything about paying the man now or waiting. You've also only asked me once to put a price on it and i explained my thoughts, yet you seem to think you've asked me repeatedly. You're confusing yourself, interesting way to change the narrative. 

Ramsey inked his deal two years ago. I believe you're smart enough to know that as the cap goes up, so do players contracts, so expecting another player of Ramseys caliber not to get a higher contract is wishful thinking. The cap will be closer to 300 million by 2025. Alexander's deal starts at 20 million, and with the cap expected to increase, i have no problem paying the man 22 million this year, and paying him a little more each year as the cap goes up. If its structured so that he's making 28 million in 2025, I'm okay with that. 

Also, Howard isn't making 25 million a year. It was a two year extension, with 50 million added in new money. He got a pay bump of about six million for this year, next year, and in 2024. The two new years that got added will pay him around 18 a year in 2025 and 2026. So no, he hasn't reset the market. Miami gave him a raise, that's all

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

NE gave up a 3rd (in 2023). They can have Parker for that. Surprises me Miami got that much.

In division trade always cost more to the buyer. 

Edit: The real cost based on the value chart.

2022 5th round pick, #158 overall = 26.6 points

2023 3rd round pick = 52 points

25.4 point difference = 18th pick in the 5th round of this years draft. 

Basically NE gave up the equal value of a 5th round pick in this years draft. 

Edited by R T

Just now, R T said:

In division trade always cost more to the buyer. 

That's why I wanted to see the terms. If it had been a 5th-6th like I had anticipated, that would have been a head scratcher. I'm sure this was far and away the best offer.

Reminds me of when BB traded a 2 for Sanu.

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

A 3rd 1 year out is valued at a 4th in current year, correct?

So get Parker and a 5th

for

a 4th

Not sure the Packers look at it that way given how married they typically are to draft picks. When's the last time we traded a day 2 pick for a player....Al Harris? 

Edited by packfanfb

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Aren't you the same guy who said no way we'd get a 1, 2 for Adams after we tagged him as well? 

The difference between baseball and football is laughable. The income disparity between the teams makes it nearly impossible for small market teams to re-sign their players. 

The way contracts are going teams will wind up paying those three positions 40% of their cap. That is stupid. 

You should never make such definitive statements. Arguably the top 2 WR in the league, both under 30, were traded this year. A stud QB under 28 was traded this year. Teams are waking up to how crippling these gross contracts can be to the bigger picture. 

I'm in the @Outpost31camp on cap management. 

Good luck winning the SB with a roster of mediocre players because you've traded all your good ones to avoid paying them.

Outpost lives in the Madden world of cap management and not the real one, so that tells me all I need to know.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I was on board for Parker for a 5th, but not a 3rd. I think there will be a draft day trade for a WR and then a draft pick devoted to the position.

Somebody pointed out above that it is equivalent to a 5th in 2022. Pats traded a 3rd next year, but they get back a 5th this year.

Edited by TheEagle