Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

23 minutes ago, R T said:

Probably just gas, try some Gas-X or Beano and the feeling will go away. 

I wish!

To be clear, I think we will try to add Landry or Fuller.  And they will compete with Watkins.  If their price goes down enough, I can see this happening.

40 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Too bad Mercilus retired. Would have been a perfect EDGE addition after nabbing Enagbare in the 5th. 

There are enough veteran edge guys out there to do the same thing, if we need them to.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Whys it crowded chief? (The vets in the room, Lazard included) So either you add a vet to delete Watkins, who we just added for vet presence, or Lazard. (the only o the real cut option that hasn't been drafted the last two years)

Just looking at it logically, I don't think we signed Sammy Watkins just to sign a different veteran to replace him later.

I suppose it's possible we signed Watkins to hedge our bets on which players would be available after 4pm today, but it just seems like a very disorganized and disingenuous way to run a franchise. Promise a guy and opportunity and then sign someone else to pretty much take it away.

Sammy Watkins will be given every opportunity to make this roster, and he'll have to have a terrible TC to be cut. I think it's more likely Toure forces his way on the roster as a 7th receiver (and st and return guy) than it is we cut Watkins.

I also see virtually zero percent chance we cut Lazard, if that's what you're suggesting (tough to tell from the typos)

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I just get a feeling like we are not done with the WR room.

Agree, Cobb and Watkins are missed time waiting to happen.

Side Note: Wonder if Rodgers is beating the drum for Jared Cook?

Edited by NFLGURU

I don’t really care if we add another WR or not…but, if we did, it would most likely mean that we extended Jaire. Which would be great news.

Every day that passes without him being extended makes me a lil bit more nervous that we won’t be able to keep him.

10 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

I don’t really care if we add another WR or not…but, if we did, it would most likely mean that we extended Jaire. Which would be great news.

Every day that passes without him being extended makes me a lil bit more nervous that we won’t be able to keep him.

I just keep telling myself there's no way Gute lets his first draft pick, especially since it was a home run, get away. But stranger things have happened 

• Like 1

I'd be interested in Kyle Rudolph for TE.  32 now, but he's a smart, big guy who's an experienced blocker.  His expensive days are past, but he's been at home in the division.  He's got blocking size that Deguara doesn't.  Think he might be a functional guy who might provide some run-game blocking and pick up 200-400 yards as a receiver.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Just looking at it logically, I don't think we signed Sammy Watkins just to sign a different veteran to replace him later.

I suppose it's possible we signed Watkins to hedge our bets on which players would be available after 4pm today, but it just seems like a very disorganized and disingenuous way to run a franchise. Promise a guy and opportunity and then sign someone else to pretty much take it away.

Sammy Watkins will be given every opportunity to make this roster, and he'll have to have a terrible TC to be cut. I think it's more likely Toure forces his way on the roster as a 7th receiver (and st and return guy) than it is we cut Watkins.

I also see virtually zero percent chance we cut Lazard, if that's what you're suggesting (tough to tell from the typos)

Yes. Thank you for explaining my original post. LIS the staff likes Lazard. They wont cut lazard. Were not adding another vet. Just say you agree with me next time. 

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

Yes. Thank you for explaining my original post. LIS the staff likes Lazard. They wont cut lazard. Were not adding another vet. Just say you agree with me next time. 

Your original statement was that they won't add a veteran because of Lazard.  Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in that Lazard has nothing to do with that. Lazard has been on the roster all offseason and at no point had any jeopardy for his roster spot. He is and has been a part of the solution.

The reason we won't add a veteran is because we drafted three youngsters. If we didn't draft at least two receivers then you could expect a veteran to fill out the room. They don't have a "veteran cap" of three.

I'm not sure we are done in the WR room.  I don't think Watkins has much, if any, guaranteed money.  I feel like we shopped that offer around and only he bit.

Now after the draft, maybe a guy like Fuller would take a deal like that to see if he can pump up his value for next year.  And if so, that's another veteran option.

But as I look at the roster, there is really only room for one veteran FA WR.  Be it Watkins, Fuller, Jones....etc.  (There can be only ONE!---Highlander)

I just feel like those higher contracts that may have been wanted by these other receivers simply won't be there and maybe any offer from us looks attractive.

But we shall see.  I'm good going in with what we have, but still I'll bet we kick some tires on veterans minimum deals, right?

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree, Cobb and Watkins are missed time waiting to happen.

Side Note: Wonder if Rodgers is beating the drum for Jared Cook?

Eh.  I'm not sure.

I liked the TE3 we had at the end of last year.  Clark maybe?  Looked big with a little life in those legs.