Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Packers playing Giants Sunday October 9th at the Spuds Stadium, London. 2.30pm local time kickoff, 8.30am for you Yanks on the East Coast.

Now let's see if I can get tickets....

Damn... gonna have to slam the coffees instead of beers. Maybe Irish coffees?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I appreciate the critical viewpoint however. He's certainly been around long enough to offer a qualified opinion, but I wonder if the nature of his departure from the front row of the media circles hasnt left him bitter - which is pure conjecture on my part. Might not appreciate the tone / tenor of all of it - but he's not far off on some of his criticisms. Nobody (not even Gute) hits on all their picks - especially when drafting in the upper ranks each year. On the whole - and in comparisons to many other front offices - we're in good hands.  

When he says outrageous things to criticize Gute like 4 out of the top 5 players on the team are holdovers from the TT era, yeah makes sense considering

1 is the best QB in the league

1 in the best LT in the league(before injury)

1 is a top 3 DT

1 is a top 5 RB in the league(argue Jenkins is the best player/more valuable)

Lose credibility when you try too hard to be a contrarian 

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I appreciate the critical viewpoint however. He's certainly been around long enough to offer a qualified opinion, but I wonder if the nature of his departure from the front row of the media circles hasnt left him bitter - which is pure conjecture on my part. Might not appreciate the tone / tenor of all of it - but he's not far off on some of his criticisms. Nobody (not even Gute) hits on all their picks - especially when drafting in the upper ranks each year. On the whole - and in comparisons to many other front offices - we're in good hands.  

He has been bitter ever since TT sealed up all the FO leaks and gave him the boot from inside info. Ron Wolf used him for years to push his narrative, but McGinn took it hard when the sources were gone and went on a smear campaign against TT because of it. He still has some good info from time to time and shouldn't be discounted because he is no longer a beat writer. Writes like he still is bitter though.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R T said:

He has been bitter ever since TT sealed up all the FO leaks and gave him the boot from inside info. Ron Wolf used him for years to push his narrative, but McGinn took it hard when the sources were gone and went on a smear campaign against TT because of it. He still has some good info from time to time and shouldn't be discounted because he is no longer a beat writer. Writes like he still is bitter though.    

Hmmmm...didnt know the nature of his departure from the scene....just that it seemed to happen fairly quickly.

13 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

When he says outrageous things to criticize Gute like 4 out of the top 5 players on the team are holdovers from the TT era, yeah makes sense considering

1 is the best QB in the league

1 in the best LT in the league(before injury)

1 is a top 3 DT

1 is a top 5 RB in the league(argue Jenkins is the best player/more valuable)

Lose credibility when you try too hard to be a contrarian 

Agree with the overall, but you can lose proper perspective if all you consume are fluff pieces that are generally nothing but supportive / complimentary in nature. There's a necessary yin yang quality....

McGinn's observation (somewhat detailed above) is accurate in that they were all TT draft selections - was he saying it to be hyper-critical of Gute? Was he trying to insinuate Gute's riding TT's coattails? Maybe - I dont know and I dont honestly care. Gute's making his mark by rebuilding the roster and shepherding it (with the assistance of the other FO members) a successful team over an extended period - not easily done.

10 minutes ago, R T said:

I have a friend who I talk Packers with who  still takes McGinn’s words as gospel. (Haven’t told him about this board because we get in long, multilayered arguments and we get enough of that already). I still call him Bitter Bob just to tick my friend off but there is some truth to it. Also true that he can be thoughtful and has insights other writers barely scratch the surface on. I don’t mind being critical, but it has to be under the context of the rest of the league, who are also not batting 1.000. If we make team building mistakes, you have to put it in light of what we were hoping to do and it just not working out. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We got great value for what we paid for with King last year. 

Huh? We have 3 million in dead money on the books this year for that stiff! I think we paid him 2 or 3 million last year. We got hosed just like we did for four years on his rookie deal. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Huh? We have 3 million in dead money on the books this year for that stiff! I think we paid him 2 or 3 million last year. We got hosed just like we did for four years on his rookie deal. 

King played well last year, was probably his best year since 2019. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He played in 10 games and started six. He couldn't beat out a guy off of a practice squad. We remember a different Kevin King from a year ago. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He was the 5'th best corner that played for us last year.  Maybe even 6'th depending on how valid you think Nixon's grade is for 100 defensive snaps.

I get liking a proven veteran player to use in case of injury.  It is a good idea.

But this idea that King "played well" is not true.  He was not hot garbage.  He was also not good.  If he was good, he would be signed to a team right now, and he's not.  

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He was the 5'th best corner that played for us last year.  Maybe even 6'th depending on how valid you think Nixon's grade is for 100 defensive snaps.

I get liking a proven veteran player to use in case of injury.  It is a good idea.

But this idea that King "played well" is not true.  He was not hot garbage.  He was also not good.  If he was good, he would be signed to a team right now, and he's not.  

He gave up 17 yards to Higgins the week after Ja went down. In KC he gave up 21 yards against Hardman and Hill. He was PFF's highest graded player on the field in the shutout of Sea. Then he missed the LAR game with injury and got benched for Rasul (which he should've). He scored his best PFF grade of his career and had the lowest missed tackle % of his career. 

I don't see any reason why trusting him more than Nixon, Ento or SJC should be any sort of controversy. Whether he wants to sign on to be CB #4 is a different story. If he does, it's an easy one for me. 

• Like 4

King played 28% of the snaps last year and wasn't asked to handle any top receivers. He barely played at all on ST.  I don't understand why everyone wants him back. We have 5th string CBs.

We need a S who could play in case someone gets hurt - the odds of both Amos and Savage playing 95%+ of our snaps again is low in this league.

• Like 1

I don't see the problem with the McGinn notes that Leader shared.  At least from what Leaders quoted.  1.  He listed Gute's 1st and 2nd rounders:  Excellent success rate!  2.  He listed Gute's free agency work:  Excellent success rate.  3.  He said that scouts/GM's around the league had positive things to say about this year's draft picks.  4.  And he said that 4th-7th round, and 3rd round, have been unproductive.  True, true, true, and true I'd say?  

I don't see much problem with that, or untrue to reality?  It's true, Gute hasn't hit much on the 3rd day or the 3rd round.  What's bitter about that? 

Plus, Bakhti notwithstanding, even 3rd-day picks that eventually go down as successes, how many are successes early on?  Give Newman a 2nd-year jump, and give Deguara a second-season-in-action jump, and both might end up profiling as being solid good-value 3rd-day picks.  Three years from now, who knows but maybe we'll look back and see Newman/Deguara/Doubs/Tom as evidence of solid drafting, who knows yet?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, craig said:

I don't see the problem with the McGinn notes that Leader shared.  At least from what Leaders quoted.  1.  He listed Gute's 1st and 2nd rounders:  Excellent success rate!  2.  He listed Gute's free agency work:  Excellent success rate.  3.  He said that scouts/GM's around the league had positive things to say about this year's draft picks.  4.  And he said that 4th-7th round, and 3rd round, have been unproductive.  True, true, true, and true I'd say?  

I don't see much problem with that, or untrue to reality?  It's true, Gute hasn't hit much on the 3rd day or the 3rd round.  What's bitter about that? 

Plus, Bakhti notwithstanding, even 3rd-day picks that eventually go down as successes, how many are successes early on?  Give Newman a 2nd-year jump, and give Deguara a second-season-in-action jump, and both might end up profiling as being solid good-value 3rd-day picks.  Three years from now, who knows but maybe we'll look back and see Newman/Deguara/Doubs/Tom as evidence of solid drafting, who knows yet?  

Mentioning that 3rd day picks haven't been successful without providing the context that nobody's 3rd day picks are successful strikes me as being overly pessimistic.

• Like 3