Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

22 hours ago, Scoremore said:

He's going to have some growing pains for sure.  Agree odds are he won't be elite.  He may be very good give us a shot at the playoffs.  We won't be contending for a title whether it's Rodgers or Love. 

That's kind of my point though - the window is shut.

Its time to start being sensible. Instead of squeezing as much cap space out of restructures  and using that space to resign veterans, we need to be setting ourselves us up for the future.  

Barring something crazy, the ceiling for next year with Love is probably something like 9-8 and being the 7th seed whipping boys in the playoffs.  

Don't get me wrong, when season starts, I don't support tanking on the pitch, we should be going all-out for a play-off spot.  But its just not sensible spending money we don't have chasing something that isn't there.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Its time to start being sensible. Instead of squeezing as much cap space out of restructures  and using that space to resign veterans, we need to be setting ourselves us up for the future.  

Barring something crazy, the ceiling for next year with Love is probably something like 9-8 and being the 7th seed whipping boys in the playoffs.  

Don't get me wrong, when season starts, I don't support tanking on the pitch, we should be going all-out for a play-off spot.  But its just not sensible spending money we don't have chasing something that isn't there.

If we roll with Love, I understand this line of thinking but I’d hope w e keep our line strong and maybe give him a decent TE as a safety outlet. This will help him develop but also if he were to catch fire, continuity of a good line and a developed TE will really help in the near future. Hope we get some clarity on who’s under center very soon. 

On 2/22/2023 at 3:24 PM, mikemike778 said:

I don't think the window is all that closed, actually.  Some of it depends on what kind of jump younger players take and this isn't an elite team on paper, but I'm firmly in the camp that there's still enough talent there to win it all.  You've got elite talent at CB, edge, NT, and RB, and high end potential at WR, ILB, DT and OL.  Safety and TE are the only real question marks for me, and honestly I don't have an issue with the talent at safety, just the usage.  Of course, I'll admit a lot of this depends on the moves the team makes to be under the cap; but this is not a team staring down a rebuild yet.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I don't think the window is all that closed, actually.  Some of it depends on what kind of jump younger players take and this isn't an elite team on paper, but I'm firmly in the camp that there's still enough talent there to win it all.  You've got elite talent at CB, edge, NT, and RB, and high end potential at WR, ILB, DT and OL.  Safety and TE are the only real question marks for me, and honestly I don't have an issue with the talent at safety, just the usage.  Of course, I'll admit a lot of this depends on the moves the team makes to be under the cap; but this is not a team staring down a rebuild yet.

No, you are right, it is not a rebuild, unless you consider losing a HOF QB a rebuilding year.

I don't feel like we have elite talent at EDGE or DT.  Iffy on the OL, too.  But we are solid there.  EDGE is downgraded for me because I don't think Gary is going to be full go until at least half of the season is done.  He may play prior, but he won't be fully "back" for a while.

DL..Clark isn't elite.  He's good.  Maybe even very good, but he hasn't been elite in a while.  Probably an over usage thing with him.

But the point is...we have enough talent...and quite a bit of young talent.  We should be fine moving forward.

So long as the front office gets it right, and this is a huge off-season for them.

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Not sure on the high end talent at EDGE for 2023.  

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Not sure on the high end talent at EDGE for 2023.  

Word is that edge is good this year.

If you listen to Bootleg Football (Snyder and Colman work on the draft all year), then CB and Edge are good, even very good. TE is good too. Snyder also thinks RBs are good (but he does love his RBs).

Not so good is WR (no no.1 type WRs this year and few no.2s). QB is bad (the best prospects went back to college). OT is very thin and as a position always in demand it will run dry very quickly.  Although not stated explicitly, I'd also put S as below average.

DT and interior OL may be just one notch above average.

An interesting side-note. Both guys expressed their annoyance that Green Bay got OL Zach Tom. They liked him a lot last year and have little love for the Packers. Kollman is a Jets fan and Snyder a Bears fan, but whatever their own allegiances, they are fair when they talk about teams generally.

My favourite players in a draft are usually kickstarted by what these two say.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

No, you are right, it is not a rebuild, unless you consider losing a HOF QB a rebuilding year.

Yeah, but Rodgers was more middle-of-the-pack last season, very similar to 2018 and 19. That isn't losing a HoF QB in the middle of his prime, it's losing an OK QB who's probably only going to decline from here on out; that isn't an insurmountable loss. 

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Conservative medical staff.  Plays a position that needs explosive strength/ power.  I'm not counting on Gary providing much for 2023.

Preston is  going on 31.

With Gary, I hope the staff is incredibly conservative.  He has the ability to be good for many years.  I wouldn't risk any set back to recovery at all.  

Paul Bretl -   By Football Outsiders Aggressive Index metric, Matt LaFleur was the 5th most aggressive coach on fourth downs in 2022. Unfortunately, the Packers offense was one of the worst at converting those opportunities.

///

Maybe they'll be working to improve on this rather than going to the Combine.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Preston getting older but he has a great track record of availability. Of course, that could mean he’s overdue for the OLD to start kicking in but I understand that move. JA is a no brainer at his age so hope we get the cap to a reasonable spot and figure out just what the hell this team will look like over the next few months.