Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

It was bad business to give the pouting toad that bloated insane deal.  It would have been good business to move him for a D Watson or R Wilson kind of return.  What personal "trophies" he won possibly at the teams expense in the long run are completely irrelevant and meaningless.  

Yea, but no rational GM would even consider trading a HOF NFL QB coming off two straight MVP seasons. I don't know why people keep talking about why we didn't trade Rodgers last year. It was never going to happen. Now if you want to argue that we shouldn't have given him a new deal and forced him to come back on the existing deal...that's actually debatable. But Rodgers was literally "untradeable" after back-to-back MVPs, especially for a GM who wanted/needed an extension. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea, but no rational GM would even consider trading a HOF NFL QB coming off two straight MVP seasons. I don't know why people keep talking about why we didn't trade Rodgers last year. It was never going to happen. Now if you want to argue that we shouldn't have given him a new deal and forced him to come back on the existing deal...that's actually debatable. But Rodgers was literally "untradeable" after back-to-back MVPs, especially for a GM who wanted/needed an extension. 

That might be true for a franchise with an owner that can fire you ipso-facto, but not with the GBP. We could have easily gotten 3-4 first round picks and the team already knew that Adams wanted to leave. We missed a historic chance to revamp the franchise and we are now in the hands of a lunatic narcissist.

• Like 4

It is a combination of delusion and a personal wet dream if you think Murph and Gute COULD NOT trade Ol ROdg then because he won a couple of look at me regular season trophies.  He wouldn't have won them with the Texans or Bears or a dozen or more other teams.  No doubt, stats wise he is one of the best regular season QB's of all time.   They absolutely could have and it would have been easily justified, not that they would have had to justify it.  It is business, he was pouting and wanted out.  They could have helped get just that.   SO what if Brady was a FA, the Patriots could have convinced him to stay and end his career there.  But it was better in their present shape to let him walk, he and his 6 Super Bowl wins and 5 Super Bowl MVP's.  IF you want to count MVP's.

They made a mistake.  They need to mitigate it now.  We shot our cap in the backside and turned away a ton of treasure to watch Ol ROdg lose to the stinking Lions.  Can't fix that size of a mistake, the opportunity cost was a tidal wave of bad.  But now they need to begin the recovery process.

Edited by 15412
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, VonKarman said:

That might be true for a franchise with an owner that can fire you ipso-facto, but not with the GBP. We could have easily gotten 3-4 first round picks and the team already knew that Adams wanted to leave. We missed a historic chance to revamp the franchise and we are now in the hands of a lunatic narcissist.

Haha

It wont work like that. There are lot of teams who went this way and never seen success because of not able to draft a right QB.

Trading a QB who has back to back MVPs wont go well if Love gets bombed. Gute is fired by now.

Yeah fans like we who cares for Packers every day know that Arod sucks, but 80% of fans just care about Packers on the game day.

They all still like Arod last year. This year nah, not much.

You can comfortably trade him. 

Edited by Jaire_Island

5 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Love. Not Jordan but Julian

That real? Julian Love is a home run free agent signing. Adrian Amos 4 years ago. Don’t know if that would mean Amos is out but that would be an upgrade over Amos on the deep end without losing anything up front.

12 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think I saw a report out of the combine that the packers are rumored to be after a free agent safety.  Who's realistic that they could afford with the restructures? 

Safety is the cheapest position in football. They could afford Poyer or Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Or Bates. The only safeties that’s actually get paid are the elites who are game changers and hybrids.

Basically, any safety that gets paid is a safety in name only and is also out there in the slot role, playing deep, playing close, able to rush the QB, have elite closing speed…

James, Fitzpatrick, Adams… The only ones making legit money.

The rest are going to be cut, have their contracts reworked or are on rosters with an extreme abundance of cap space.

12 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think I saw a report out of the combine that the packers are rumored to be after a free agent safety.  Who's realistic that they could afford with the restructures? 

11 hours ago, Jaire_Island said:

Haha

These two posts worked really well together when I was skimming things.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Yea, but no rational GM would even consider trading a HOF NFL QB coming off two straight MVP seasons.

Given the context, I disagree. If there ever was a time to do so, after the 2021 season was it. There is going to be blowback from the fans, regardless. GB could've pushed the narrative about how they've already been through this with Favre. Also, the fashion in which they lost to the 49ers and the way Rodgers played in that game would've softened the blowback from fans. Not to mention the historical haul that trade would've given the Packers. It would have been the rational, and I'd argue, correct decision. 

Edited by malak1

49 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Given the context, I disagree. If there ever was a time to do so, after the 2021 season was it. There is going to be blowback from the fans, regardless. GB could've pushed the narrative about how they've already been through this with Favre. Also, the fashion in which they lost to the 49ers and the way Rodgers played in that game would've softened the blowback from fans. Not to mention the historical haul that trade would've given the Packers. It would have been the rational, and I'd argue, correct decision. 

To me, that thought is only valid given hindsight.  If the Packers would have won, say 11 games this year and gotten into the playoffs, this kind of thought has little to stand on.

This was a team that won 13 games for 3 straight years.

And really....the difference between where we were to 11 wins and the playoffs may have only been a thumb injury.  

I do understand what you are getting at, though.  I think the results of this past season is what makes that kind of argument valid.  And the results may easily be explained away as a thumb injury.  

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

To me, that thought is only valid given hindsight

Of course this isn't true. There were a LOT of people clamoring for him to be traded last year, before the 2022 debacle. If so many fans could sense it, the GM better have considered it or they're awful awful at their job and totally unqualified.

• Like 2