Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, R T said:

Every year has 15-20 new faces on the 53. Last year's roster had 18 new players in a 'all in', 'run it back' season. The 2024 turnover will be no different than the turnover in any other year. 

There will be far more contributing position turnover. Bahk, Jones, Preston, Campbell are all potential cap cuts, Nijman is a UFA, Dillon, Nixon, Savage, and we'll have money to attack FA and improve a spot like RG, RT, IDL (if Wyatt doesn't step up), S. 

Not that this is a bad thing at all, I just think the 2024 roster will be the one that's ready to push the envelope.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Explain how a 35-40% chance of having a worse than average draft class isn't wildly pessimistic considering in the same sentence you said we're in the top 10% of draft capital.

Do you think our talent evaluators are 3.5-4x worse than their average peer? 

they had 3.5-4x more draft capital? no.  They had more but not hugely more

It's the NFL draft - luck is a huge factor

34 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

they had 3.5-4x more draft capital? no.  They had more but not hugely more

It's the NFL draft - luck is a huge factor

I want to be clear we're talking the same language here:

Are you saying there's a 35-40% chance GB's draft class will be in the bottom half of 2023 draft classes?

Or are you saying there's a 35-40% chance that GBs draft class will be in the bottom half of historic draft classes with the same or similar draft capital?

2 hours ago, Eternal said:

I think it'll mainly come down to the defense. I trust whatever Jets have over Joe Barry. If we had a better d coordinator over what we have in Barry, Packers I think would be much improved.

I think I’d like to see Joe Barry on an episode of “Between the Ferns”. Let Zach Galifianakis ask the questions we would if we could.

Q: Is it the word “defense” or the word “coordinator” that you’re having trouble understanding?

Also, since the talk swerved to the draft for a bit, (Cover your ears That Jerk Dave) The Kansas City Chiefs 2022 draft class was nuts. Their first year players played in 161 games on the way to the championship. That seems to push the credible upper limit for a Super Bowl winning team.

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I think I’d like to see Joe Barry on an episode of “Between the Ferns”. Let Zach Galifianakis ask the questions we would if we could.

Q: Is it the word “defense” or the word “coordinator” that you’re having trouble understanding?

Haha that's a great idea

I’m expecting anywhere from 5-7 wins next year. I’m cool with that, it’ll be interesting to see if Jordan can potentially be a franchise QB. It’ll also be interesting to see if MLF really is a good coach.

If we end up winning the North or making the playoffs, I’ll be ecstatic. I wouldn’t put my money on it tho.

55 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

I’m expecting anywhere from 5-7 wins next year. I’m cool with that, it’ll be interesting to see if Jordan can potentially be a franchise QB. It’ll also be interesting to see if MLF really is a good coach.

If we end up winning the North or making the playoffs, I’ll be ecstatic. I wouldn’t put my money on it tho.

Let's bet on 7.5. I'll take the over. Let's say $1,000. This way we both avoid the vigorish.

Edited by incognito_man

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Let's bet on 7.5. I'll take the over. Let's say $1,000. This way we both avoid the vigorish.

Make it for 50 bucks, and you got a bet. For 50, I’ll be happy to lose. For 1000, in this economy, I’ll be rooting against my beloved packers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Why is Vegas giving me much higher odds? They emotional hedging too? 

Not emotional hedging, economic hedging. If for some reason millions of people started betting for the Texans, their odds would decrease. Doesn't make them any more likely to win, it's just that Vegas doesn't like losing money. People don't bet for the Packers because the general public's perception is "they lost Rodgers and they will suck" so their odds increase. Not that complicated really.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

How much higher? Are they infinite odds? Are they saying GB has no chance?

Obviously saying GB has no chance is dumb.  I don't see any problem with viewing the 2023 roster as inferior to the 2022 roster heading into the respective seasons.

48 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Obviously saying GB has no chance is dumb.  I don't see any problem with viewing the 2023 roster as inferior to the 2022 roster heading into the respective seasons.

I sure don't see the 2023 roster as favorably as I did the 2022 roster at this point.

I admit my perception was wildly imperfect last year.  I thought the defense might be fantastic, one of the top handful in the league.  Gary might be a DPOY type guy ready to break out with big-time pressure.  That Stokes and Jaire might be an elite pair of coverage corners.  That Wyatt might be good enough to get snaps.  And I thought the OL might be really good by October, with Bakhti and Jenkins back as full-capacity studs on the corners, and healthy Myers emerging as a smart, power guy in the middle.  My perception was way wrong then. 

My perception may be way wrong now, too.