Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

For all intent and purposes this is the last year of Bak's deal. He's not seeing that 20 million base salary next year and virtually no way the Packers extend him. ...

I don't agree.  If he's reasonably healthy, and his capacity and investment remain excellent, I'm not sure that either waiving him or keeping him under the existing terms would appeal to Packers.  $40 under existing; $19 dead cap.  Neither is to love.  yes, I know it's not the Packers way to keep re-signing old guys, especially with a beat up knee.  And yes, I know $19 dead cap can be swallowed given our improved cap standing, and is way better than $40.  But $19 in dead-cap is not the traditional Packer way, either, and can motivate some different approaches.  

*IF* Bakhti still can and wants to play, I think his agent will have lots of leverage to get Gute to offer some kind of an extension that keeps the still-good player, and that spreads out the cap hits.  Obviously that's continent on the player still being good, and still being a guy who makes the 2024 Packers a better team.  If he isn't, take the $19 dead cap and so it goes.  

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

How do you hide a DB in today's NFL? Doesn't work. This is Fangio's defense. He had Bethea and Reid in SF, Eddie Jackson (who's fallen off a cliff without him) and Amos, and then Justin Simmons and Kareem Jackson in Denver. Those are 6 safeties who've played a long time in the NFL at high levels too.

We're broke, that's why we have no safeties this year. 

You may be right, but there is a difference between can't play and being a functional JAG. Guess when you say hide a DB you are suggesting he can't play? Ford and Owens have proven they can be functional, there just are no Pro Bowls in their futures. This is a Barry version of that defense; it may be the same, but it is probably not a given.  

2 minutes ago, R T said:

You may be right, but there is a difference between can't play and being a functional JAG. Guess when you say hide a DB you are suggesting he can't play? Ford and Owens have proven they can be functional, there just are no Pro Bowls in their futures. This is a Barry version of that defense; it may be the same, but it is probably not a given.  

Potentially very strong safety class next year if the underclassmen declare. Think we patch ourselves up long term with a pick there among our first 3 top choices. Then hope between Savage, Owens, Ford, Moore or Johnson Jr, we have the other starter there. 

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

We could afford to trade him after June 1st. 

There is a 0% chance Bak is going anywhere right now. They just restructured his contract.

Come back and visit this topic before the trade deadline. That's the next window, but the far more likely event is that he's a Packer for the entire 2023 season and then traded in the off-season. 

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

How do you hide a DB in today's NFL? Doesn't work. This is Fangio's defense. He had Bethea and Reid in SF, Eddie Jackson (who's fallen off a cliff without him) and Amos, and then Justin Simmons and Kareem Jackson in Denver. Those are 6 safeties who've played a long time in the NFL at high levels too.

Again, I don't think starting Rudy Ford at safety is going to win or lose you any games. He and Savage will be the very definition of "adequate" back there, and if we're lucky, by mid-season Johnson Jr. will start making noise and pushing for a starting spot. The best way to help those guys is by having a better pass rush. If the defense is going to be any good, it's because Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Clark and Wyatt are getting it done up front. If they don't, it really won't matter who's playing safety. 

Edited by packfanfb

27 minutes ago, craig said:

I don't agree.  If he's reasonably healthy, and his capacity and investment remain excellent, I'm not sure that either waiving him or keeping him under the existing terms would appeal to Packers.  $40 under existing; $19 dead cap.  Neither is to love.  yes, I know it's not the Packers way to keep re-signing old guys, especially with a beat up knee.  And yes, I know $19 dead cap can be swallowed given our improved cap standing, and is way better than $40.  But $19 in dead-cap is not the traditional Packer way, either, and can motivate some different approaches.  

*IF* Bakhti still can and wants to play, I think his agent will have lots of leverage to get Gute to offer some kind of an extension that keeps the still-good player, and that spreads out the cap hits.  Obviously that's continent on the player still being good, and still being a guy who makes the 2024 Packers a better team.  If he isn't, take the $19 dead cap and so it goes.  

He's going to be 32 in September and has had two years recovering from an ACL. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell we are going to extend him. 

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Bakhtiari isn't going anywhere this season, not sure why we're wasting keyboard strokes on the thought.

If you would rather......  you can come over to my house and dethatch about half an acre of lawn, bag it, then drop down about 1,000 pounds of top soil, rake it, seed it and then get the sprinkler going?

Because that is what I've got going on.  I'd rather discuss the merits of social media vs the practicality of Bakh's contract.

Heck, I'd rather discuss the merits of dating @Norm 's mom again over what I have ahead of me.

• Like 3

Just now, vegas492 said:

If you would rather......  you can come over to my house and dethatch about half an acre of lawn, bag it, then drop down about 1,000 pounds of top soil, rake it, seed it and then get the sprinkler going?

Because that is what I've got going on.  I'd rather discuss the merits of social media vs the practicality of Bakh's contract.

Heck, I'd rather discuss the merits of dating @Norm 's mom again over what I have ahead of me.

Already did that about 2 weeks ago, we're on to mulching. 

3 hours ago, Green19 said:

Because Rodgers is gone now… and after decades of psychologically analyzing him the fan base needs a player to do this to.

Bakhtiari is the next logical person given his contract and that of the group he is kind of the man left behind by the Rodgers exodus.

I remember when Clifton was the last one left standing.  We paid him very good money for a long time.  I think he was the LT on the 2010 SB team.  Further proof that life is circular.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Potentially very strong safety class next year if the underclassmen declare. Think we patch ourselves up long term with a pick there among our first 3 top choices. Then hope between Savage, Owens, Ford, Moore or Johnson Jr, we have the other starter there. 

As far as I have been told, also a big class at OT. Hopefully we restock with some young talent in a few areas of need but the class is rich enough not to have to reach. Having two 1sts would help the cause. 

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I agree we don’t have money to splurge on much of anything, even a position that could put points on the board like a kicker. I think the original point that safeties were more valued than ILB in Pettine’s system and the reverse is true in Barry’s still is true. We want all pros at every level, but if concessions have to be made, certain positions make the wheel turn more than others. Hope we find some guys that can be more than just bodies out of the current group and get some solid talent there in the seasons to come.