Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

30 minutes ago, Chili said:

My guess is Nixon will be KR and slot and they'll save him a bit by giving PR duties to someone else. Would prefer it just be Reed. Giving Coutee a spot means one of Wicks, DuBose or Melton will be cut, and all 3 have more potential as a WR than Coutee. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My guess is Nixon will be KR and slot and they'll save him a bit by giving PR duties to someone else. Would prefer it just be Reed. Giving Coutee a spot means one of Wicks, DuBose or Melton will be cut, and all 3 have more potential as a WR than Coutee. 

I agree with those guys having more potential, although Melton might have shown them enough that there is a willingness to upgrade. Either way, this is just a no stone unturned workout so doesn’t necessarily mean anything except we are keeping the rolodex full in case we need another guy down the road. 

10 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I agree with those guys having more potential, although Melton might have shown them enough that there is a willingness to upgrade. Either way, this is just a no stone unturned workout so doesn’t necessarily mean anything except we are keeping the rolodex full in case we need another guy down the road. 

Yeah, this.

I think people forget how many players get injured even in training camp. This is just due diligence. Not to mention the fact that someone like Dubose could probably get stashed on the practice squad pretty easily.

27 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Coutee had an absolutely ELITE 20 yds/target last year

;)

Still say that if Nijman comes in and demonstrates improved play at RT from last year (his first year playing that position), you have to think about putting Tom at C and moving Myers into a competition with Runyan at RG. To me, that's putting your "best 5" on the field for 2023. 

• Like 2

FYI:

Coutee had 4 fumbles in 17 punt returns and 1 catch last season for the Colts. Thats Amari Rodgers level bad.

He also had 4 fumbles in 40 total touches in 2020. Only had 2 games and 1 catch in 2021

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I just listened to this guy talk and I come off unimpressed. 

dude is talking about how he doesn’t like looking backwards only ‘through the windshield’ to see what’s ahead. 

He then later says how he goes back and goes through every play ‘like a fine comb ‘ 

and  then he brings up that he needs to get better and they ask how. 

He responds with ‘situational football and tackling’ … tackling

I genuinely believe he doesn’t think he did anything wrong. Yeah, they need to tackle better, but that’s not something Joe Barry needs to improve on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Interesting. However, if the Packers are going to look at adding a 26-year old "veteran" to the group, I'd prefer Tyler Johnson who was just cut by the Raiders. 

I will repeat what I said about Watkins last year.

If he was unable to produce with Mahomes throwing to him why on earth would he produce with Rodgers throwing to him.

In this context:

If he was unable to produce with Brady throwing to him why on earth would he produce with Love throwing to him?

27 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

dude is talking about how he doesn’t like looking backwards only ‘through the windshield’ to see what’s ahead. 

He then later says how he goes back and goes through every play ‘like a fine comb ‘ 

I genuinely believe he doesn’t think he did anything wrong. Yeah, they need to tackle better, but that’s not something Joe Barry needs to improve on.

I think, given your forum name, you are exactly the right person to call out when someone is peeing on your leg and saying that it is raining.

Bill B. can be grumpy and uninformative because success earns him that. That sort of grumpitasse doesn't wear well on a dude with his record of determined mediocrity.

I honestly think Joe Barry's job is to lose us ten games in '23 so that we can draft higher. We then replace him with fresh DC talent in '24 heading into three or four runs at the big prize. Any other reason for keeping him makes no sense.

41 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Remember, Barry's just there to buy MLF some time. If a Love-led offense is going to find its stride, it'll probably take longer than a single season, making Barry a valuable piece of bait to jettison midway.

Barry's interview characteristically vanilla cheerful.  Nice upbeat cliches, positivity, but no ideas to suggest improvement.  We've got a great group of guys.  We need to be consistent.  We need to adjust and evolve.  Gotta tackle.  I love that expectations are high.  VanNess could be good in 4 or 5 years.  We've gotta get better.  I've gotta get better.  

Didn't really give much information:

1. Asked about 2nd safety starter, gave nothing.  Basically sounded like clueless, and they'll just try to shake the anti-awful tree during camp.  Used "competition", which in my jaded view is code for "nobody good enough to separate from collection of mediocre guys."
  2. Stokes is on the road to recovery, but can't practice.  Didn't give any indications that he was close.  Pretty much just said he's not OTA available.  Did not mention him when discussing the three spots.  
  3. Talked about "evolving" during last season.  Sounded the same as each of the last couple of seasons.  Gave zero idea what they learned or what grew or changed, of any lessons learned that would help this season.
  4. Referenced explosive plays.  I assume that's code for staying committed to his past philosophy and commitment to big cushions/soft zone/soft run.  
  5. Basically nothing said to indicate that he's identified any adjustment that might make the defense better.