Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, craig said:

Barry's interview characteristically vanilla cheerful.  Nice upbeat cliches, positivity, but no ideas to suggest improvement.  We've got a great group of guys.  We need to be consistent.  We need to adjust and evolve.  Gotta tackle.  I love that expectations are high.  VanNess could be good in 4 or 5 years.  We've gotta get better.  I've gotta get better.  

Didn't really give much information:

1. Asked about 2nd safety starter, gave nothing.  Basically sounded like clueless, and they'll just try to shake the anti-awful tree during camp.  Used "competition", which in my jaded view is code for "nobody good enough to separate from collection of mediocre guys."
  2. Stokes is on the road to recovery, but can't practice.  Didn't give any indications that he was close.  Pretty much just said he's not OTA available.  Did not mention him when discussing the three spots.  
  3. Talked about "evolving" during last season.  Sounded the same as each of the last couple of seasons.  Gave zero idea what they learned or what grew or changed, of any lessons learned that would help this season.
  4. Referenced explosive plays.  I assume that's code for staying committed to his past philosophy and commitment to big cushions/soft zone/soft run.  
  5. Basically nothing said to indicate that he's identified any adjustment that might make the defense better.   

owens just got signed last week, no reason to anoint him.  

It’s May, the season of nothing but cheery cliches and platitudes, definitely no concrete information on injuries or competition on the depth chart will or should be given. The point that Barry might be a bad DC still stands. As pointed out, he might make a nice lightening rod if a storm starts brewing. 

56 minutes ago, craig said:

Barry's interview characteristically vanilla cheerful.  Nice upbeat cliches, positivity, but no ideas to suggest improvement.  We've got a great group of guys.  We need to be consistent.  We need to adjust and evolve.  Gotta tackle.  I love that expectations are high.  VanNess could be good in 4 or 5 years.  We've gotta get better.  I've gotta get better.  

Guessing you made the same comment about Gary when he was drafted as well. Terrible take. 

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Guessing you made the same comment about Gary when he was drafted as well. Terrible take. 

That wasn't my take, that was Barry's.  Barry wasn't the coordinator when Gary was drafted, so he didn't speak to Gary as a rookie.  

To be more fair, he was very positive about what a big guy VanNess was.   And after he made the comment about how good VanNess might be when he's 4-5 years out, he did realize that might be misconstrued, so he backed up and =and said he thinks VanNess will be able to play and will be able to help us this year.  

• Like 2

I had the opportunity to listen to all three coordinators.  Like MLF, they are all really nice guys who are very comfortable answering, and seem comfortable doing press conferences and talking.  And all three seem like really sincere, positive guys who would be comfortable to work with and work for.  

Whether MLF, Steno, or Barry are strategy smart or play-calling smart or creative, or quick to adjust or plan, I have no idea. 

But they sure come across as nice, friendly, straightforward, non-arrogant, and un-intimidating.  All of those guys are really easy to like, and guys for whom it is easy to wish them success.  

Steno was really relaxed. 

• Positive, like they all have been, about Love, and how professional he's been, how coachable, etc., the respect everybody has for him.  
  • As mentioned, he was asked about Tom.  His first thought response was how he'd be in the competition for RG/RT.  Then as an afterthought, he kind of also added in maybe C.  [Tangent:  RT had suggested a scenario where healthy Jenkins healthy could perhaps return to RT, and then have Tom for LG.  That didn't sound like it's at the front of Steno's mind at this point.  Obviously lots can change later.]
  • Steno recognized that with Love new, that teams might blitz more than with Aaron.  Recognized that they'd need to prepare for that.  But also seemed to think that the experience of the line would help there.  
  • Was pretty open that they'd kinda need to trial-and-error to find out what Love likes, is good at, and what will work.  
  • Didn't think they'd need to change the playbook, that Love can make all the throws.  
  • Did say something about maybe wanting to simplify some, will want Love to have somewhat easier reads. 
  • Seemed pretty upbeat.  No whining about being too young, or anything like that at all.  

56 minutes ago, craig said:

That wasn't my take, that was Barry's.  Barry wasn't the coordinator when Gary was drafted, so he didn't speak to Gary as a rookie.  

To be more fair, he was very positive about what a big guy VanNess was.   And after he made the comment about how good VanNess might be when he's 4-5 years out, he did realize that might be misconstrued, so he backed up and =and said he thinks VanNess will be able to play and will be able to help us this year.  

Sorry for jumping your ****! I was unaware of dumbass Barry's comment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craig said:

Didn't really give much information:

1. Asked about 2nd safety starter, gave nothing.  Basically sounded like clueless, and they'll just try to shake the anti-awful tree during camp.  Used "competition", which in my jaded view is code for "nobody good enough to separate from collection of mediocre guys."
  2. Stokes is on the road to recovery, but can't practice.  Didn't give any indications that he was close.  Pretty much just said he's not OTA available.  Did not mention him when discussing the three spots.  
  3. Talked about "evolving" during last season.  Sounded the same as each of the last couple of seasons.  Gave zero idea what they learned or what grew or changed, of any lessons learned that would help this season.
  4. Referenced explosive plays.  I assume that's code for staying committed to his past philosophy and commitment to big cushions/soft zone/soft run.  
  5. Basically nothing said to indicate that he's identified any adjustment that might make the defense better.   

Craig, I love you brother, but I have no idea how you got some of this stuff from that press conference. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, craig said:

I think his statement stands on its own. He led with the fact that just walking in the room, a guy with that build and that kind of movement ability was already something special. He added that because he was 21 it was impossible not to look several years down the road and imagine the possibilities. He wasn’t saying the guy couldn’t contribute now, just that he is already so advanced at his age and will absolutely grow into what he can do. The follow up wasn’t walking that back, just answering what could be done to accelerate the learning curve. That’s how I heard it anyway.