Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

57 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Everyone cross 6'6, Irish, All-XFL punter off your bingo square.

Didnt (dont) know who this guy is....but at the outset was hoping it was that FG kicker who's been killing it.
Oh well. Did somebody sign him already?

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Didnt (dont) know who this guy is....but at the outset was hoping it was that FG kicker who's been killing it.
Oh well. Did somebody sign him already?

No idea, really haven't watched the XFL too much so not sure who that is. 

This is probably a guy we try to sneak on the PS and train with Rich B for a year to take over for O'Donnell.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Neither have I....but I saw a tweet a day or so ago about some guy that's just been knocking them down.....in the XFL or USFL....dont know......with multiples over 50/55 yards.

8 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

I honestly think Joe Barry's job is to lose us ten games in '23 so that we can draft higher. We then replace him with fresh DC talent in '24 heading into three or four runs at the big prize. Any other reason for keeping him makes no sense.

8 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

Remember, Barry's just there to buy MLF some time. If a Love-led offense is going to find its stride, it'll probably take longer than a single season, making Barry a valuable piece of bait to jettison midway.

I gotta say I find it ridiculous to believe they will try to actively lose games this season because they don't think their 4th-year QB is ready to play well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I gotta say I find it ridiculous to believe they will try to actively lose games this season because they don't think their 4th-year QB is ready to play well.

Not 'try'(thought the guy you paired me with will disagree), but the O will be streaky and not truly ready for primetime, and Barry attracts all the kneejerk reactants because he has to strategize competently under duress and his D will underachieve. It'd probably be my MLF didn't replace him when he had the chance; he's a meat shield for criticism.

9 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

Not 'try'(thought the guy you paired me with will disagree), but the O will be streaky and not truly ready for primetime, and Barry attracts all the kneejerk reactants because he has to strategize competently under duress and his D will underachieve. It'd probably be my MLF didn't replace him when he had the chance; he's a meat shield for criticism.

How come you get to call him a meatshield (which is brilliant, by the way) and yet identifying Barry's inability to strategize competently under duress makes some of us knee-jerk reactants? (also brilliant)

To me, criticizing Joe Barry is like yelling "***HOLE!" at a screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show every time Barry Bostwick enters a scene. Yes, I am being an unserious reactant. No, I am not knee-jerking. It is a pretended thoughtlessness based on the fear that our defensive coordinator is a child with hammer, wood and nails building something that resembles a chair only in the rudest Platonic sense, but the pretended thoughtlessness also accepts that he knows more about professional football defensive strategies than I do. But that is a pretty ****ing low bar for an NFL DC.

Joe Barry's Legacy as DC:

2007--Last in league (Lions)

2008--Last in league (Lions)

2015--17th (WFT)

2016--19th (WFT)

2021--13th (Lucky us)

2022--17th (Lucky us)

Edited by Uffdaswede

On 5/15/2023 at 3:35 PM, Arthur Penske said:

I get that but what you were saying was kind of advocating only double digits sacks are what make an elite edge.

In my first post, I did not say that.  However, if you are deemed an "elite" EDGE, you need to have that on your resume.  Obviously there is more to it than that, but it is almost a disqualifier if that is not on the resume.

Top of my head, and I'm sure there are more, but I see only a few elite EDGE guys out there.  TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Nick Bosa.  Maybe Max Crosby.

The cool thing about Gary is if he comes back from that injury, I feel like he could be in that tier.  But he isn't there yet.

22 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Campbell's best football is likely behind him, but Walker's is in front of him. Ideally he earns the bulk of 3rd down snaps at that roster group.

Similarly, Wyatt needs to step up and be a mainstay on the DL and take away KCs pressure package snaps.

Campbell and KC are valuable veterans, but we drafted two guys who need to step up now.

Defense looked 100X better when Campbell got back in there.

Much respect for what he does.

But yah, his best may be behind him, but he's still really, really good.

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

This is probably a guy we try to sneak on the PS and train with Rich B for a year to take over for O'Donnell.

Maybe this is the guy I read about. I honestly wasnt giving it full concentration...

Bill Huber / SI -

Whelan also has some kicking potential, though that’s not why he was signed by the Packers. In 2021 at UC-Davis, 37 of his 68 kickoffs delivered touchbacks. His Twitter page shows him making a 73-yard field goal

2 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

How come you get to call him a meatshield (which is brilliant, by the way) and yet identifying Barry's inability to strategize competently under duress makes some of us knee-jerk reactants? (also brilliant)

To me, criticizing Joe Barry is like yelling "***HOLE!" at a screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show every time Barry Bostwick enters a scene. Yes, I am being an unserious reactant. No, I am not knee-jerking. It is a pretended thoughtlessness based on the fear that our defensive coordinator is a child with hammer, wood and nails building something that resembles a chair only in the rudest Platonic sense, but the pretended thoughtlessness also accepts that he knows more about professional football defensive strategies than I do. But that is a pretty ****ing low bar for an NFL DC.

2015--17th (WFT)

2016--19th (WFT)

2021--13th (Lucky us)

2022--17th (Lucky us)

Those rankings may be too kind. 

20th in DVOA in 2022, for example and 22nd in 2021.

3 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

2015--17th (WFT)

2016--19th (WFT)

2021--13th (Lucky us)

2022--17th (Lucky us)

I could've explained better. The 'knee-jerk reactants' would be coming if the team doesn't perform at a Playoff-caliber level, regardless of who was more at fault(and I sure didn't place you among them when I came up with the term). Who gets to be first in the blame game just depends on who is in the spotlight. So take this upcoming season with Barry at DC, and an Alternate Universe where he was canned, and in both universes the team falls short of the playoffs. Constants and Variables; in this case, the location of the blame is a variable rather than the constant. Barry's in the picture, his track record from last season makes him public enemy #1. Barry's not in the picture, then suddenly you're looking at MLF without any further scapegoats(or meat-shields) in front of him, unless his pick for replacement DC turns out to be the same as all the other b*stards before him.

And the massaging of the roster to get the right number of players by position continues as the number of CB's goes from 11 to 10 with the release of Benjie Franklin. This move makes room for the addition of punter Daniel Whelan.