Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Yah well I don't want to relive the past.  Taking a pass on that vid...

You're not missing anything; I watched it and it's an idiotic take. In a nutshell, if only the Packers would have kept Woodson, they would have won every SB forever. Typical Herman drama BS.   

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Using hindsight to lament missed evaluation on in house players and draft picks.  I'm sure at the time, Herman would have happily given the contracts Hayward and Hyde got.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Using hindsight to lament missed evaluation on in house players and draft picks.  I'm sure at the time, Herman would have happily given the contracts Hayward and Hyde got.  

Hyde got a pretty solid contract at the time.  Still, he was a 4 down player and what he got  was more than worth it for the Bills. I remember seeing what Hayward got and feeling like we could have definitely spent that for a starting DB. It was not a huge chunk of change and even though he had a slightly down season being dinged up, he was still a good player. 

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

I'll sum it up for you.  The Packers absolutely **** the bed when it comes to the handling of our secondary.  A litany of errors were made with that unit over the past decade.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

The Packers usually pay their own, and both of those guys had been productive enough to keep.  They let go of Woodson at least two years too early.  He had 2 or 3 productive seasons at safety after being forced out of GB.  The Packers were letting good players leave and then trying to replace them with high picks.  Most didn't pan out, and that was high draft picks that weren't getting spent on other positions.  It definitely took it's tool on our team.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'll sum it up for you.  The Packers absolutely **** the bed when it comes to the handling of our secondary.  A litany of errors were made with that unit over the past decade.

There is some truth in that. But a lot of it is down to how strongly the Packers emphasised the DB position and continually drafted there. Sometimes a drafteee fails.

As a comparison, the 49ers did equally badly, if not worse, drafting the front 7 of their defense. Aldon Smith was far from great, Solomon Thomas was a bust from where he was drafted, Reuben Foster was a total headcase, Javon Kinlaw was a disappointment and they couldn't afford DeForest Buckner's second contract when it came due (a repeat of them having to let top guard Iupati go earlier when HIS second contract was due).

We are talking picks far higher than the Packers had................yet I don't hear outsiders say that they **** the bed because their front seven is exceptional, just as the Packers DBs, taking into account their much lower average pick, is also very good.

If the Packers had picks as high as the 49ers had, they would most likely have done a considerably better job than they did with lower picks, but that is unprovable speculation.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The Packers usually pay their own, and both of those guys had been productive enough to keep.  They let go of Woodson at least two years too early.  He had 2 or 3 productive seasons at safety after being forced out of GB.  The Packers were letting good players leave and then trying to replace them with high picks.  Most didn't pan out, and that was high draft picks that weren't getting spent on other positions.  It definitely took it's tool on our team.

I agree on Woodson. How he played at safety for Oakland the last couple years he could've definitely still contributed in a big way for us. Such a bummer...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, R T said:

You're not missing anything; I watched it and it's an idiotic take. In a nutshell, if only the Packers would have kept Woodson, they would have won every SB forever. Typical Herman drama BS.   

I got as far as his nonsensical ranting in the first min, then he listed all the draft picks and I laughed at loud at his stupidity. Then I stopped watching.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I got as far as his nonsensical ranting in the first min, then he listed all the draft picks and I laughed at loud at his stupidity. Then I stopped watching.

I couldn't make it 12 minutes in or whatever it ******* takes before he ends his video "intros" but I was scrolling comments and it drives me insane to have morons act like we all knew Micah Hyde was this All Pro safety and that nobody wanted to let him go. Nobody ******* cared when he left, very very few thought he would be some sort of stud at safety, if anything the idea was to move him there to try to salvage something from the pick.

EDIT: Same thing as Hayward...it's hindsight bull**** like has been stated. At least the Woodson thing I sort of get, I think a lot of people would have been like nah keep that dude a BIT longer.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Norm said:

Same thing as Hayward...it's hindsight bull**** like has been stated. At least the Woodson thing I sort of get, I think a lot of people would have been like nah keep that dude a BIT longer.

Yeah I don’t remember a single poster on here at the time clamoring for us to keep Hayward. Everyone was comfortable with letting him go bcuz of the injury problems.  

I’m glad he was able to turn it around in SD but this was never a move to be second guessed.  If we had  extended him and he continued to miss games due to injuries, GB fans would’ve been furious at Ted. 

As far as Micah, he was a good player for us but going to BUF was the best thing that happened to his career. 

• Like 2

I was a fan of Hayward.  He was hurt about half of the time though.  I understand not paying him, and I believe that he was a very good CB for San Diego, but I believe that he also stayed healthy during that stretch.  

Hyde was a slow CB that was always a step behind in coverage.  3rd and 9? Just look which WR Hyde was on, and that is where the ball was going.  It looks like he was being played out of position.  I don't think that he ever gets the opportunity to play safety in GB though.  I believe he overlapped with Morgan Burnett and HaHa, who were both pretty good.

I am glad that both of these guys had success when they left the Packers.  They seem like good dudes.  

I also really like Charles Woodson.  I can't find the amount of cap space that it saved the Packers to cut him, but he was entering the 3rd year of a 5 year contract with no guarantees.  Sptrac and OTC have different numbers, but it looks like he was getting about 10 million per season from the Packers.  That puts him right about the top 10 safeties in the league right now, 10 years later.  I don't think that you will find any Packers fans that have anything negative to say about Woodson.  But if we are being honest, it was time to move on from him at CB, and that contract.  

[edit/add] Woodson made about the same amount of money in his final 3 seasons in Oakland as he did per season in his last contract with GB.

Edited by ThatJerkDave

36 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Yeah I don’t remember a single poster on here at the time clamoring for us to keep Hayward. Everyone was comfortable with letting him go bcuz of the injury problems.  

I’m glad he was able to turn it around in SD but this was never a move to be second guessed.  If we had  extended him and he continued to miss games due to injuries, GB fans would’ve been furious at Ted. 

As far as Micah, he was a good player for us but going to BUF was the best thing that happened to his career. 

Yeah, I was elsewhere but with Hayward he had that great rookie year and had been a little disappointing, due to high expectation and also due to injury. When he left I was very much "I hope he gets healthy, because he can be a good player." 

Hyde I felt like letting him go was a mistake, but not "HE COULD BE AN ALL-PRO SAFETY" - more "he really does a lot of stuff here, it'll take 3 guys to replace him" - in GB he was a terrific PR, played CB, and I swear he subbed in at safety here and there, but I'll take That Jerk's word for it that it didn't happen. 

• Like 1

The main issue Andy never mentioned was the huge void left after we lost Collins. He and Burnett was the future at Safety. His departure created a vacuum. We were constantly using draft capital to replace Collins.

Ted dropped the ball. Instead of paying guys like Heyward and keeping good veterans like Woodson, he was always focused on rolling money over to the next season and relying on cheap UDFA to fill the void.

It's absurd to realize 11 years later we still haven't found elite Safety play on the level of Nick Collins. Same thing with Finley at TE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Yeah I don’t remember a single poster on here at the time clamoring for us to keep Hayward. 

Yup…

I don’t remember any chatter about keeping Hayward. I only remember the indignant remarks when people spelled his name with an “e”.

There was a lot of surprise at not keeping Hyde; he was a good competitor and a rare beast for us on special teams. It was kind of galling that Buffalo got so much out of him. Had he stayed with us I don’t think we would have used him as well. 

• Like 2