Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Not sure what this really means but I have supported for a long time the idea of bringing in another senior defensive mind to assist Barry. Frazier would fit the bill if that's what this is potentially about. 

If we brought in Frazier, it wouldn't be a 'senior' defensive mind, it would be a SUPERIOR defensive mind. 

• Like 1

Rodgers is one of, if not, the greatest QBs I've gotten to watch.  I will always love and appreciate him for what he did for GB, the title, basically building title town district off his back.  It will be hard to top watching him play for me. Probably my favorite player and Packer ever and would love to see him win with the Jets.

Rodgers is one of, if not, one of the most insufferable human beings I can imagine.  Smug, arrogant know it all who, incapable of admitting fault, twists his words thinking hes some clever dude when really he's just a dishonest d-bag that would be miserable to be around. 

Both can be/are true IMO.

He'll never let it happen cause he doesn't do interviews that don't coddle him like McAfee, but there must be some respectable reporter willing to grill the **** out of him.  Cause most his material is so blatantly BS (gotta facetime me bro, apparently I've never heard of wifi calling,  I just want communication, but I only talk to people I like and I dont like you).  It would take so little effort to collapse his stupid hypocrisy, word games, etc.  Schneidmann did it in the article with the getting Gute fired thing.  Lie Lie Lie, busted, deflect blame to agent and pretend you knew nothing about it. 

Honestly I'm embarrassed for him after the article.  Hes a pretentious child.  Rodgers demanding transparency or the truth is PEAK irony.  Anyone not using a shovel sized helping of salt grains with Rodgers side of the story has not been paying attention.

That said, hes still a far better person that Brett Favre.  Congrats on being more palatable than a guy that steals from the poor.

Edited by Spidey

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

I think keeping Rodgers on longer had everything to do with Love’s development more than “competing”. I think the front office is smart enough to know they can spin “competing” as long as Rodgers is the QB.

But it seems like they didn’t have the confidence in Love to rip the band aid off. The extension was the price of business that Rodgers was happy to do because he seems more about that than winning at this point. And GB was trying to protect its investment.

I don’t like all the ish talking he, Rodgers, keeps doing… but he isn’t dumb and was in the building. He likely read the room correctly. At the first chance they would move on. But I would just slightly add to that… once signs of Love development showed, they would look for any excuse to move on. Just like Favre.

I doubt it had anything to do with Love. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I doubt it had anything to do with Love. 

I doubt Gute let’s a proven player at the most valuable position walk out the door without having confidence in a backup plan either.

This is the system now since it worked with Rodgers. Draft a 1st round QB with traits… develop and than transition.

Gute knows better to just move to Love as soon as possible, purely for the sake of it. They weren’t letting Rodgers walk until they felt confident.

beat and national reporters have stated as much. They all say one of the main reason they have made this move now is Love’s development. It also explains the change of language. Last off-season they were falling over themselves to state Rodgers is their guy. This off-season, it was let us know.

As the article show… all of this… comes back to Love in so many ways.

32 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

True

This isn't one of those times. 

I'm not discounting the fact that he didn't want to be here.

But, there is a world that's not too far fetched where he went to Den, didn't get hurt and lead them to a deep playoff/ SB run. In that same world, Jordan Love could have been awful (who knows when or if its even true that he turned the corner)

That would have been a disaster for us. A lot of people, even those claiming we should have traded Rodgers a year earlier would be calling for Gute's head. 

A decision like that would have been malpractice not going for the SB again.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 9:18 AM, Rainmaker90 said:

It also says Gute and him had a plan to meet when Gute was in CA. Gute texts him and Rodgers responds…. 5 days later 🤣🤣

I finally took the time to read the full article.  Rain, I'm sure you didn't mean to have this wrong, but this is contrary to what Rodgers said,  He explicitly said that he did NOT take 5 days.  That he responded either that evening or else the next day.  

Not taking sides or anything, just wanting to clarify Rodgers' statement.  

3 minutes ago, craig said:

I finally took the time to read the full article.  Rain, I'm sure you didn't mean to have this wrong, but this is contrary to what Rodgers said,  He explicitly said that he did NOT take 5 days.  That he responded either that evening or else the next day.  

Not taking sides or anything, just wanting to clarify Rodgers' statement.  

Yes, my fault. I misread that . 

4 hours ago, Green19 said:

I think keeping Rodgers on longer had everything to do with Love’s development more than “competing”. I think the front office is smart enough to know they can spin “competing” as long as Rodgers is the QB.

But it seems like they didn’t have the confidence in Love to rip the band aid off. The extension was the price of business that Rodgers was happy to do because he seems more about that than winning at this point. And GB was trying to protect its investment.

I don’t like all the ish talking he, Rodgers, keeps doing… but he isn’t dumb and was in the building. He likely read the room correctly. At the first chance they would move on. But I would just slightly add to that… once signs of Love development showed, they would look for any excuse to move on. Just like Favre.

Good point, I think both were true.  They thought they had a shot, given how the previous couple of seasons had gone, and given the misperception that the defense was going to be something special.  

But I also don't think they thought Love was ready.... yet.  I think one extra season for Love to practice, to mature, to have a second non-Covid camp, I think management as well as fans are much more ready to think Love is the answer than would have been true last year.  

Sure, the contract was expensive. But yeah, they bought another season to go for it; they bought another year for Love to get ready; and they bought two high draft choices.  

42 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I'm not discounting the fact that he didn't want to be here.

But, there is a world that's not too far fetched where he went to Den, didn't get hurt and lead them to a deep playoff/ SB run. In that same world, Jordan Love could have been awful (who knows when or if its even true that he turned the corner)

That would have been a disaster for us. A lot of people, even those claiming we should have traded Rodgers a year earlier would be calling for Gute's head. 

A decision like that would have been malpractice not going for the SB again.

No. In that situation, GB would have 3 1s, plus our own top 5ish pick, and ammunition to get the next can't miss qb (probably next year?). The worst case scenario was a below average qb and a ton of upcoming draft capital. 

Rodgers wasn't going to get a SB in Denver. He is too risk averse in a "win or go home" scenario. Get to the playoffs, sure.

But GB would be in a better situation because of upcoming draft capital alone...

8 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

No. In that situation, GB would have 3 1s, plus our own top 5ish pick, and ammunition to get the next can't miss qb (probably next year?). The worst case scenario was a below average qb and a ton of upcoming draft capital. 

Rodgers wasn't going to get a SB in Denver. He is too risk averse in a "win or go home" scenario. Get to the playoffs, sure.

But GB would be in a better situation because of upcoming draft capital alone...

This whole Rodgers can’t do it in the playoffs is beyond ridiculous. We just saw Matt Stafford win a SB. 

Edited by Rainmaker90

14 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

This whole Rodgers can’t do it in the playoffs is beyond ridiculous. We just saw Matt Stafford win a SB. 

Yes we did. Because Stafford was able to do what Rodgers couldn't. Beat the 49ers in the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

So all Rodgers needs is a boy genius at HC and play caller, Ramesy, Aaron Donald, and a WR that won the triple crown for receiver…

Get on that Jets!

I finally read the full article.  Very interesting, surprised that Rodgers was so open.  

The board has been pretty thoroughly anti-Rodgers, and I get that.  Big stars tend to get self-absorbed and have big egos, and Aaron epitomizes that.  

But I actually thought the article was pretty interesting, and I can see it from Rodgers' point of view. 

1. They'd just been to the conference title, and a player thinks they've got a chance to get a better and go further.  Player is all-in Nowacrat.  For the GM to instead go all-in Buildican and use two draft picks to add a red-shirt QB who isn't going to help the cause short-term, that's working at cross purposes.  Frustrating for the Nowacrat QB.
  2. And obviously making that move reflects what the GM thinks about you and your future.  Team isn't drafting a QB if they expect 5 more good championship years from you.  Rodgers said he figured with selection of Love, that meant management was looking for 1-2 years.  Maybe 2-3 would have been a better perspective.  Or maybe without Covid it would have been 2 instead of 3.  But yeah, Rodgers read it right:  they think my end is in sight, and they are preparing to move on within a couple of years.  And in that view, he also recognized that salary cap was involved in that.  Seems to me his objective recognition that the GM was preparing to move on from him was accurate.  We all recognized the same. 
  3. But I can certainly sympathize that a proud man would be hurt by that.  I think I'm still good, and that I'm not close to washed.  But you disagree, and are more prioritized on replacing me years down the line than helping the team I'm on for the next couple of years to win?  The Nowacrat-Buildican difference couldn't be more obvious.  
  4. I don't know if his version of the text-message stuff is true.  But if so, I can see being annoyed.  A visit with the franchise qB isn't worth a planned-in-advance meeting?  The GM thinks it's so insignificant that he can't schedule it in advance, or take a day away from scouting UDFA draft prospects?  Gute's coming on Monday and leaving on Tuesday and didn't think to pre-schedule with Rodgers, before being on the road on Monday?  Kind of absurd, *if* that's how Gute actually did it.  Rodgers also mentioned that he'd wanted to meet with Gute and MLF together; so Gute just texting him on the road without having the courtesy or respect to include MLF in the plan would also seem kind of weird.
  5. I can also see why Rodgers would have taken offense at the OTA's stuff.  He'd had a process for preparing himself which had not interfered with back-to-back MVP seasons.  To suggest that he doesn't prepare himself for the season is insulting, or to suggest he lacked commitment.  It wasn't in this interview, but Rodgers has spoken elsewhere about why he hasn't thought OTA's were that crucial.  Half of the receivers there won't make the team.  Throws are split up among backup camp-filler QB's.  Most of the teaching is focusing on introducing the playbook, not on advanced nuanced stuff.  So personally, I kinda respect his perspective on this.  And think all the flak he's gotten for no-showing OTA's is kinda over-the-top.  So I can understand how, if Packers insiders are whining about that, that he'd be feeling unjustly slurred.