Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

34 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Tony Boselli getting in means it is not really about longevity.  Certainly it will help some, but.....  

With Offensive Lineman, a lot of it is about telling a story. 

Whitworth's story is a really good under dog story. 

Dominant college player who played Tackle but got shoe horned in at Guard in the pros. He was a really really good Guard for his first couple of years before getting his shot at Tackle and being excellent there as well. Despite being really good at two spots he never got the accolades he deserved.

After a full career (11 years!) being really good on really bad Bengals teams and being a consummate professional on a clown show of a team, he moves over to the Rams and gets his ring while being a genuine leader of the team. 

It's basically the Matt Stafford story if Matt Stafford was good and his teammates took him seriously. 

+++

Bakhtiari's story is basically, mid round guy who played Tackle with Aaron Rodgers and turned out to be really good. 

• Like 2

Just one other "stat" for tackles and the Hall of Fame.

If you look at Pro Football Reference, they have a metric for HOF tackles.

I first saw it on Boselli.

Hall of Fame Monitor.  It is right above the All Pro Teams stuff.

Average HOF Tackle scored 95.5.  

Boselli was 80.68.  17th among tackles.

Whitworth is 62.95.

Trent Williams is 61.45.

Tyron Smith is 73.15.

Jason Peters is 86.5.

Bakh is 49.13.  40th among tackles.  

To view how the HOF Monitor score is calculated, here is the link.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/about/hof_monitor.htm

"A score of 80 or above means they're a good candidate to eventually get in, or they’re the highest-profile borderline candidates. The absolute lowest score for HOF inductees would be 40, although most of these lower scoring Hall of Famers are senior committee selections that may have cases beyond their statistical output."

Edited by vegas492

Bakhtiari has been an All-Pro in 62% of his healthy seasons played. If that's not a HOF player, not sure what is.

Expect him and Davante to be more like Butler where it takes a handful of years to get in, but they should both be in. Top 2 at your position for half a decade should be an auto entry into the hall.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Bakhtiari has been an All-Pro in 62% of his healthy seasons played. If that's not a HOF player, not sure what is.

Expect him and Davante to be more like Butler where it takes a handful of years to get in, but they should both be in. Top 2 at your position for half a decade should be an auto entry into the hall.

Funny that you bring up Butler...

Looking at PFF and their HOF Monitor...he scored 86.5.  Which put him above the 80 score referenced as being "a good candidate to eventually get it".  And he did.

Adams is 54.3 right now.

Bakh is 49.13.

They are pretty close.  Each needs to do more.  Each can and probably will.

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Funny that you bring up Butler...

Looking at PFF and their HOF Monitor...he scored 86.5.  Which put him above the 80 score referenced as being "a good candidate to eventually get it".  And he did.

Adams is 54.3 right now.

Bakh is 49.13.

They are pretty close.  Each needs to do more.  Each can and probably will.

I think both those scores are ridiculous for Adams and Bakhtiari honestly. Over 50% of healthy seasons played you make All Pro? It shouldn't even be a question.

57 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think both those scores are ridiculous for Adams and Bakhtiari honestly. Over 50% of healthy seasons played you make All Pro? It shouldn't even be a question.

I agree, Bakhtiari has a better pass pro grade then Williams most season and just a tad worse run blocking, so those grades don't reflect the eye test for either player imo.

57 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You actually read how they score?

It takes longevity into the equation.  And it talks about shortened careers as they relate to All Pros, Pro Bowls and things of that nature.

Adams.  4 of 9 year at 1,000 yards or more.  Deceiving.  Two other years were 997 yards.  LOL.

To me, he needs another year in the 1300 yard range and one year when he hits like 1600 and he should stack the off-season awards and get that score high enough to be in serious contention.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Let me ask you this.  And keep this in mind, I believe that Bakh is close to being in contention for the HOF.

But....

Here are the recent guys to get in at Offensive Tackle.  Is he really in this class of tackle?  Mind this...I'm biased FOR him, as I am a homer and he is a Packer.  

2023:  Joe Thomas

2022:  Tony Boselli

2020:  Jimbo Covert

2016:  Orlando Pace

2014:  Walter Jones

2013:  Jonathon Ogden

2012:  Willie Roaf

2008:  Gary Zimmerman

And that is where I'll stop.  8 tackles inducted in the past 15 years.  There were some guards in there along the way.  Will Shields.  Hutchinson.  Grimm.  Dermonti Dawson.  Larry Allen....etc.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

We are the team that paid and played Chad Clifton until he was 35....

It takes two to tango, as in Bakh and GB's front office.  But, if Love shows to have the stuff, and our young WR's do as well, there is a scenario out there where we continue to pay Bakh.

And the wildcard is going to be Tom.  To a lesser extent, Walker.  If those guys show a lot of development, then it may not matter (Love's play).  Then it becomes economics.

With Gute in win-now mode, he'll want/need two starting tackles. The odds that BOTH Tom AND Walker look so impressive that win-now Gute (with cap to burn) commits both starting spots to them is improbable.  *IF* this year goes well, Gute will want to extend at least one between Bakhi and Nijman.  

It takes two to tango, but why wouldn't they?  *IF* Love shows well, both Gute AND Bakhti might see the Packers as a win-now team. Other contenders won't have more cap space than us.   

41 minutes ago, craig said:

With Gute in win-now mode, he'll want/need two starting tackles. The odds that BOTH Tom AND Walker look so impressive that win-now Gute (with cap to burn) commits both starting spots to them is improbable.  *IF* this year goes well, Gute will want to extend at least one between Bakhi and Nijman.  

It takes two to tango, but why wouldn't they?  *IF* Love shows well, both Gute AND Bakhti might see the Packers as a win-now team. Other contenders won't have more cap space than us.   

I can easily see scenarios where Bakh wants out of GB to be with his buddy.

That's why it takes two to tango.

If Tom looks like a LT, awesome.  I thought Walker had the size and feet for it as well.  We have that mountainous Caleb kid that could be a RT.  Or we find a RT.  They aren't that hard to find.

But this isn't all a GB front office decision as Bakh's desires will dictate what his future will be.  I'm pretty sure that his on the field play is going to be high end.  

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I love Kenny Clarke, bit he's not worth what Simmons and Williams are getting. He'd have to dominate this year to even consider it. 

If he's demanding a big contract after another decent, not dominant year, I'd have to consider moving him for as much draft capital as I would get. Especially if the younger guys start to show up. Talking specifically about Wyatt and Slaton.

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

We are the team that paid and played Chad Clifton until he was 35.  And I think we did that because we had a rising star in Rodgers and really needed his blindside protected.

It takes two to tango, as in Bakh and GB's front office.  But, if Love shows to have the stuff, and our young WR's do as well, there is a scenario out there where we continue to pay Bakh.

And the wildcard is going to be Tom.  To a lesser extent, Walker.  If those guys show a lot of development, then it may not matter (Love's play).  Then it becomes economics.

I had typed out something similar last night but decided against it.  Given the Packers history, if there is an ascending player at the position, the Packers probably look to move on to the younger, cheaper option.  If they do not, the Packers have shown that they do keep select players for third or even 4th contracts .  And it seems that the Packers will be able to afford Bakhtiari's contract if they decide they want to do so.  And it isn't like he is ancient either.  He will be 32 this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I love Kenny Clarke, bit he's not worth what Simmons and Williams are getting. He'd have to dominate this year to even consider it. 

If he's demanding a big contract after another decent, not dominant year, I'd have to consider moving him for as much draft capital as I would get. Especially if the younger guys start to show up. Talking specifically about Wyatt and Slaton.

I'd agree .. he isn't quite in the same class as those other two.  He's probably going to get close to that 24 mil mark .. just not sure it will be from GB.