Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

11 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

With Murphy hitting mandatory retirement age after next season I'd find it very unlikely any major changes are going to happen concerning the HC or GM unless the wheels totally and completely fall off in some sort of spectacular fashion. 

Murphy won't fire him.  But, much like GMs want their coach, and coaches want their QB, perhaps the next President will want to make their mark?

19 hours ago, 15412 said:

The dreaded vote of confidence.  The question is Adam why has he not "come through" as of yet?

I'll answer it for you, he has.  He is what he is.  Now get Jones healthy and get your O-Linemen run blocking to the level they should be.

What else is he gonna say?  I'm guessing he doesn't want to throw his RB under the bus to the media.

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Murphy won't fire him.  But, much like GMs want their coach, and coaches want their QB, perhaps the next President will want to make their mark?

Its entirely possible but....

I think the clearest indication that would be a possibility is if Murphy immediately retires after the 2024 season rather than working through the 2025 draft and retiring in July when he hits 70. With the draft being held in GB in 2025 I'm guessing Murphy works through that and by extension so do Gute and MLF. Timing wise I just don't see a likely scenario where Murphy isn't president/CEO until July of 2025 and by extension (barring complete collapse or personal scandal) Gute and MLF holding their positions through at least the 2025 season. 

TL,DR

Murphy is extremely unlikely to blow things up on his way out the door and it would be extremely unlikely for the new hire to blow things up immediately upon arrival.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think their quiet extensions will keep them safe for at least a couple of years. It will be interesting to see if the next president wants to involve himself in the day to day football operations like Murph ended up doing. I don't see many people turning down power, but there was something to be said about the way it was run from the turn around with Wolf and Harlan...

8 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I think their quiet extensions will keep them safe for at least a couple of years. It will be interesting to see if the next president wants to involve himself in the day to day football operations like Murph ended up doing. I don't see many people turning down power, but there was something to be said about the way it was run from the turn around with Wolf and Harlan...

*themself

• Like 1

I wonder if Mark Murphy wasn’t more of a buffer between Rodgers and Gutey than he was someone who wanted to be more involved in football operations. After all, Gutey was not Rodgers’ choice to be GM, and he already had thrown a stink about Ball potentially being hired for it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the structure goes back to the way it used to be when Murphy retires. Part of me wonders if it hasn’t already informally gone that way. 

• Like 1