Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

42 minutes ago, Norm said:

We keep falling into this trap. Bahk is maybe the exception where it was like, not the trade part, but he's never going to come back close to the same I don't think and many feared that. JA could easily come back and be a stud again. But a little 'adversity' and it's, give up, ship em out, next man up. Hey maybe we should see what we have in Sean Clifford! I'm exaggerating a bit but JA is the exact kind of trade we'd WANT to be on the receiving end of if he wasn't here..I guess it's just pent up frustration though...I think.

I'm the one, lone idiot who said if Love/MLF couldn't crack 60-70 net passing yards in a half, then we should turn to Clifford to see if the fault lies on MLF or Love.  :)

But I get what you are saying.  

One should not move on from a still young elite cornerback who is under contract.  

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, craig said:

That would also save you another $8 the following year, too, though?  

I feel like we're finally coming out of a stretch of severe cap pressure, and it will be nice to be more free.  But with Love and lots of young players stepping along, we're probably going to be right back into cap pressure before we know it, and be unable to keep all of our young talent.  $3M saved in 24 and $8M saved in 25 might be some welcome millions come 26 and 27?  

Yes, we'd save $8M in 2025 and $8M in 2026. So it's certainly a consideration. 

40 minutes ago, Norm said:

We keep falling into this trap. 

16 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

If someone offers us a Jalen Ramsey trade package, we'd be foolish not to take it. 

This is my favorite mental trap of all. The idea that some team is going to offer us a Jalen Ramsey package for a stud player who's injured too much for our liking. He'd be a $27M dead cap hit for us, how many first round picks is that worth?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly not sure who we'd rather face. Taylor sucks. 

Where does this nonsensical tyrod animosity come from? He does not suck. He has a career td:int ratio of 62:26. 

Even this year his passer rating was over 90. 

He just keeps getting hurt behind garbage olines and a fluke injection issue. 

Edited by HokieHigh
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

This is my favorite mental trap of all. The idea that some team is going to offer us a Jalen Ramsey package for a stud player who's injured too much for our liking. He'd be a $27M dead cap hit for us, how many first round picks is that worth?

Goes to my point of the FO timeline. If they're looking at 2025 as the first serious year at contending, getting Jaire's contract off the books with a FRP and some change would be an attractive option

3 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Goes to my point of the FO timeline. If they're looking at 2025 as the first serious year at contending, getting Jaire's contract off the books with a FRP and some change would be an attractive option

Someone notify gute we are contending this year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

Barry gets a lot of hate for a lot of stuff. My biggest issue with him is probably (total conjecture on my part) that we used a first round pick and spent $50million on ILBs in the same off season because of his style. Yuck.

I'm 100% of the opinion that if you get a JAG and he balls out for a year you let them walk and take the comp pick. As much as I disliked the Rodgers extension resigning Campbell and Douglass were probably worse IMO. 

I can get behind Campbell.  We signed him after a career year and he has reverted to form.  But to be fair to Gute, much like not trading the two time defending MVP, you can look real dumb real quick by letting an all-pro just walk.

I think Douglas was actually a good move.  Not only did we get a surprise 3rd in return, but we got 24 games and 19 starts in 2022 and 23.  He also filled in for both Stokes and Jaire while they were hurt, and played mostly good football.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

After watching Sunday's game, you have to assume we are contending now. This team is capable of beating any team in the NFL.

All that aside, this team could probably not process a $27M dead cap hit. Like, it might not be fiscally possible.

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Every OL is going to lose some reps now and then. The almost funny point being made about Myers is he's been more of an "all or nothing" guy meaning he's actually a very solid C, especially as a pass blocker, but when he does lose, which isn't much, he reallllly loses, hence the "whiff" reference that's been thrown at him so many times. 

I get it it's just not that good.

49 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

If someone offers us a Jalen Ramsey trade package, we'd be foolish not to take it. Jaire has been injury prone for 2 out of the last 3 years. He's undersized and the older he gets, the injuries have a good chance of piling on.

A lot depends on the front office timeline. If they expect 2025 to be the first year we're serious contenders, eating the dead cap from Bakh and Jaire in 2024. Go into 2025 offseason with a ton of cap space and draft capital. 

But they aren't going to.

25 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Where does this nonsensical tyrod animosity come from? He does not suck. He has a career td:int ratio of 62:26. 

Even this year his passer rating was over 90. 

He just keeps getting hurt behind garbage olines and a fluke injection issue. 

RuNInG QBbbbbeeeee

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think Douglas was actually a good move.  Not only did we get a surprise 3rd in return, but we got 24 games and 19 starts in 2022 and 23.  He also filled in for both Stokes and Jaire while they were hurt, and played mostly good football.  

I guess it turned out fine. We only ended up paying him ~$7 million of the ~$20 million and we got a pick out of it. I'm just not a fan of the play or the player in general but he wasn't a complete disaster or anything. Got some picks, didn't give up a ton of yards, but gave up a ton of TDs.