Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

In today's game, we win that game. 

Still kills me.

And as much as the replays can take too long (although they have gotten a little better) turnovers and scores have to be reviewed.  Just too much of a momentum swing to ignore the multiple angles of video evidence. 

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

He started off pretty slow and didn’t step up to star level when 33 went down. He has been playing pretty well and even fighting through a broken thumb trying to help this team. I really like the guy, but feel he is replaceable if he wants a high guarantee contract. RBs have it tough and as much as I love Jones and he has special qualities, a better plan of succession would have had a younger, cheaper replacement for him 2 seasons ago. I’m glad we have both every year we start the season. In the offseason it’s hard not to want to be completely ruthless when it comes to the RB market. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Herbie_Hancock said:

Don’t post in here too often compared to old days (pours one out for arrigo and thrillhouse) but… after watching that jaire coin flip video. Is he thattt stupid?? He just talks like he’s 12. 

Jaire about to lock **** down this wkd. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leader said:

I'm with Uglem on this one. Speaking right out of the back pocket of my Lee Riders, there were some games early and mid season where Dillon seemed to wander sideways in the LOS traffic to no effect. How much of that was him I don't know, but in real time it looked like him being indecisive and not seeing the seams. Taking a beat to think about it after, it did seem as if MLF was pointing his "between the tackles Dawg" too far east or west.

Lately, he has been beating up the opposing D right in the middle for 3-5 yards. I'm pretty sure that's all you need to get the required hesitation that makes play action work.

TL/DR Dillon is good when you point him in the right direction.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Jaire about to lock **** down this wkd. 

He's tough to read.  

Here's my take on it.  I feel like those responses were "coached up" for him, probably by an agent.  Pretty textbook.

So I was looking for "tells" to see if he was lying, or if something slipped.  

I thought I saw a smirk starting at one point when he was talking about communication and how it was easier to communicate "with his guys", which means it was tougher talking to coaches.

But then I didn't see any tells when he offered up that his relationship is better now after he did speak to coaches.

I don't know.  After watching that, I feel like he's all in for the Packers right now.  And maybe with him that is a week to week thing.  Tough to say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

I'm with Uglem on this one. Speaking right out of the back pocket of my Lee Riders, there were some games early and mid season where Dillon seemed to wander sideways in the LOS traffic to no effect. How much of that was him I don't know, but in real time it looked like him being indecisive and not seeing the seams. Taking a beat to think about it after, it did seem as if MLF was pointing his "between the tackles Dawg" too far east or west.

Lately, he has been beating up the opposing D right in the middle for 3-5 yards. I'm pretty sure that's all you need to get the required hesitation that makes play action work.

TL/DR Dillon is good when you point him in the right direction.

Let us not forget that the offensive line, early in the season, was quite poor.

Then we had a coach tell us last week that the line is better now because he saw them get better in practice the past few weeks.

And now the offense looks much better, as does the run game, and as does Dillon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leader said:

I've always thought it has a lot to do with draft position. When you take a running back in the 2nd round, you expect that guy to become a league leader, not a reliable backup.

If Dillon was selected in the 5th round, we'd never stop singing his praises. The irony, of course, is that he's outperformed 4/5 of the guys taken ahead of him (Clyde Edwards Helaire, D'Andre Swift, Cam Akers, JK Dobbins) and there's not a single guy drafted after him that out performed him (except Antonio Gibson, the next back taken)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

He's tough to read.  

Here's my take on it.  I feel like those responses were "coached up" for him, probably by an agent.  Pretty textbook.

I thought I saw a smirk starting at one point when he was talking about communication and how it was easier to communicate "with his guys", which means it was tougher talking to coaches.

But then I didn't see any tells when he offered up that his relationship is better now after he did speak to coaches.

I don't know.  After watching that, I feel like he's all in for the Packers right now.  And maybe with him that is a week to week thing.  Tough to say.

2f8e5744036de0c16816f82f47981d367357ca74

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

He's tough to read.  

I thought it was interesting that he said he communicates well with the other players, but struggles to communicate with others.  I took that to mean that he has work to do with communicating with coaches, and possibly the media too.  Seems like he's at least willing to work on it, and wants to remain a Packer going forward.  He just needs to get more serious about his job.  They are paying him big dough and expect a certain level of professionalism from him.  I think it will work out.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

Unlike what many modern parents practice, discipline strengthens relationships. Great interview for Ja. Excited about him. 

"Modern" parents (of younger kids) are now millennials. Discipline and minimalism are back in style. Time to catch up again on stereotypes!

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

"Modern" parents (of younger kids) are now millennials. Discipline and minimalism are back in style. Time to catch up again on stereotypes!

Yes perhaps we are in a transition. My perception is that 80s millenials are different than 90s millenials in this regard.