Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Lazard for any team would be a solid #2. In 2022 he was ranked 36 in yards total of any WR with 788.
Only 10 #2 receivers in 2022 had more yards than him. 

Lazard signed a 4 year $44m contract after putting up 2,229 yards and 20TDs in the past 4 seasons
Nelson Aglehor signed at 2 year $22m deal after putting up 2094 yards and 16TDs in the previous 4 seasons
Tim Patrick signed a 3 year deal for $34m after putting up 1694 yards and 11TDs in the previous 4 seasons
Sterling Shephard signed a 4 year deal for $41m after putting up 1752 yards and 8TDs in the previous 4 seasons
Russel Gage signed a a 3 year £30m deal after putting up 2428 yards and 14TDs in the previous 4 seasons

He got paid market rate for his production, where top end deals are $30m AAV. It's just a shame it didn't work out in NY. He is a good WR and got paid accordingly. I would happily have him back but just like the youth movement in WR and offence and wouldn't want to rock that boat

35 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No dog in this fight.  Just curious.

You have to pay $12M for one of these receivers.  Who do you take?  Lazard or MVS?

To me, that is a really tough one.  Rodgers made both look better than I feel they really are.

It just depends on team needs. If you look at the current group making $10-$12M right now (and the non-rookies below them), they're all pretty clearly role player types who fit a specific need for their offenses. 

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Lazard can run the full tree and block at an elite level for you. Pretty simple to me.

MVS never clicked with Mahomes, couldn't tell you why. He never refined the technical side of being a WR, even with Rodgers, but the two of them connected enough vertically to make him a valuable player for us. I think Rodgers rode MVS much harder and he needed that constant push to be as sharp as he could, Mahomes seems like a much more chill dude and MVS has suffered in the technical aspects of being a WR with him as QB. Mentally MVS just never had it to be a complete WR. 

I think it is kind of an Andy Reid thing.  Who were his WRs in Philadelphia? He had an already established TO, and then nobody really worth mentioning.  In KC, they stumbled into Tyreek Hill because they didn't care that he is not very judicious when throwing his hands at people, and again, nothing worth mentioning.  His offenses have had 2 good WRs for a total of like 5 years over 25 years.  Yet, his offenses are always good.

I also think they misevaluated MVS.  What they saw was a tall, fast deep threat, that was getting fewer targets because Davante Adams was force-fed the ball, and Lazard and Cobb (and the RBs) were better short distance/move the chains guys.  What they didn't see was that he was a 50-50 proposition wherever he was on the field.  It isn't that MVS can't run the 7 yard out pattern for the first down, he can.  It is just that he still only catches it half the time.  He looked like an up and comer when he would get 2 deep shots and a couple 10 yard catches per game, but when you are suddenly relying on him, and giving him 8-9 targets instead of 3-5 things really change.  

15 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

My point is the players behind adams/jordy are pretty bad and that just because they are on the roster and putting up decent numbers doesn't make them good players or even necessarily  average players.  We've not come close to the jennings/jordy or jordy/adams teams since Jordy left the building.  Mayyybe we have something with Reed/Watson cooking but Watson is a huge ??? right now.

Yeah, Lazard is a similar athlete to Mike Evans, that can't be argued. There's probably some dog**** QB who's a similar athlete to Aaron Rodgers, which couldn't be argued. Just in this very thread 20 minutes ago there's posts about Lazard being a crap athlete. 

Where does anyone say Lazard is going to play like him? 

Lazard was a ++ level blocking WR.  GB run hame hasn't dropped any significant amount  in ypc or ypg this season as the young WR group is collectively + level blocking WR.  

The rookie/ 2nd year WR are better WR on most advanced metrics vs Lazard from 2021 and 2022.

Rookie contract Lazard probably has a case for a spot on the roster, but not 2nd contract Lazard.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:19 AM, skibrett15 said:

looking over his statistics included, there's a LOT of bad process here, but the signal probably still comes through the noise.

notable:

PENALTIES

Best: LA Chargers, 4 for 35 yards

Worst: Green Bay, 19 for 178 yards

League average: 11.9 penalties for 97.9 yards

GB had DOUBLE the league average in penalty yards on STs.  Worst special teams program in the league for going on 20 years now.  Coaching is bad, plan is bad, roster is bad.

Huh?  I thought ST penalties improved this year over the past.  We still have work to do there but that squad improved, especially as the the season progressed.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-penalties-teams-nfl-2023

23 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

He's never played STs more than offense.  I think he had one season where he was on like 1 unit in 2019 maybe?

He's a 6-5 guy who doesn't use an inch over 6-0 of his height when not blocking.  So he's just a 6-0 4.55 guy who doesn't really do much for ya when you're trying to pass him the ball.

Lazard is playing out of position IMO.  He should be a TE.

31 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Really?  Wow...  You could knock me over with a feather on this news.

Still league leader in KR Yards, and technically KR Average(thanks to all the fair catches, only one other person met the minimum requirement to qualify on average(one return per game).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zycho32 said:

Still league leader in KR Yards, and technically KR Average(thanks to all the fair catches, only one other person met the minimum requirement to qualify on average(one return per game).

I wonder how long it will be before they forgo awarding this All-Pro award altogether...