Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think this is true, last year there was numerous posts on Twitter by the beat writers one the guys we had void contracts with, and how that money would not count against the cap if the Packers signed them to an extension.

Usually a voided contract hit means a hit given to a player whose contract expires. If the contract does not expire, the void penalty is not charged. 

I believe the above is correct.  I found this article helpful.  

Void Years Explained

Void years are contract years on which the player will never play. They are placeholders for prorated signing bonus money, which can be assigned when the void years are created or created through a later contract restructure. Since a bonus can be prorated over a maximum of five seasons, the highest number of void years that can be added to a contract is five minus the number of years left on the contract the player is currently on. 

Once a player reaches the void years portion of their contract and they are not re-signed to a new contract for that team, all the bonus money prorated onto the void years is accelerated to that year for cap purposes. 

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

it is true in the sense that the bill will come due later.  They would have to re-sign him (extend him) before his contract expires.  The money would then be due at the end of the new deal. 

No matter what, that money is a topper to whatever deal we sign, not an either or proposition, or something that has offsets.

Yes but that hit is an accelerant of a bunch of smaller money spread out of many void years, so if he signs a 3 year deal, suddenly you can continue to spread that over 3 years and more void years if you'd like, the cap charge for 2024 from the void could be minimal. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

it is true in the sense that the bill will come due later.  They would have to re-sign him (extend him) before his contract expires.  The money would then be due at the end of the new deal. 

No matter what, that money is a topper to whatever deal we sign, not an either or proposition, or something that has offsets.

When you said

Packers owe that 6M no matter what, and it doesn't offset whatever contract he signs with GB.  Any money he signs counts against the cap on top of the 5M in dead money from the void year.

It implied that if GB signed Savage to a 1 YR, 8M contract prior to the void year, GB would owe Savage 8M from the contract, plus 5M from the void, which isn't the case. (at least I don't "think" that is the case)

Edited by Mazrimiv

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Yes but that hit is an accelerant of a bunch of smaller money spread out of many void years, so if he signs a 3 year deal, suddenly you can continue to spread that over 3 years and more void years if you'd like, the cap charge for 2024 from the void could be minimal. 

I mean, sure.  You can do that with rollover cap and simple restructures to other players too just as easily.

The dead cap # for Savage will never decrease.  It may be spread out or pushed out.

Cap room in year N, N+1, N+2 are all basically the same connected number.  When you pay doesn't really matter at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

When you said

It implied that if GB signed Savage to a 1 YR, 8M contract prior to the void year, GB would owe Savage 8M from the contract, plus 5M from the void, which isn't the case.

they will!

Don't get caught up in when the money comes due.  It doesn't matter.  There is no extra incentive to sign savage due to his void year.  We can never recover that money in any way, only change when it might be due.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

I mean, sure.  You can do that with rollover cap and simple restructures to other players too just as easily.

The dead cap # for Savage will never decrease.  It may be spread out or pushed out.

Cap room in year N, N+1, N+2 are all basically the same connected number.  When you pay doesn't really matter at all.

Yeah, there's no way Sav will be a 10+m cap hit guy in 2024 if he's back like you mentioned. 

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

they will!

Don't get caught up in when the money comes due.  It doesn't matter.  There is no extra incentive to sign savage due to his void year.  We can never recover that money in any way, only change when it might be due.

I learned something today.  Yay me!

• Like 1

we have already borrowed from the future to reduce his 5th year option cap number.  GB can continue to do that if they resign him, or pay the bill.

borrowing from the future in the form of void years is a pretty common practice.  I had a longer post on it somewhere if you want to read on that and *why* they might want to do it. (basically the $ amount will be a lower % of cap in the future, so rather than pay 5% of cap now, you can pay 1%, 0.95%, 0.90%, 0.88% and 0.87% over the next 5 years)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

? Hayward was a good young player in GB right away. He just couldn't stay healthy.

So was Savage in his first two seasons when he was playing in Pettine's system. 

3 hours ago, pgwingman said:

A few notes: 

Due to his void year contract, Savage already costs us $5m in 2024. So if we retain him for say, $6m, his net cost to the Packers is only $1m. And depending on how the deal is structured, you could probably push his cap hits out farther. I'm sure Gute wants to quit the cap gymnastics, but it's a move I'd make.

My other note. At what point has Savage played well enough to demand more than a 1-year prove it type deal? He's PFF's 18th highest rated safety in the league, with the 24th highest coverage grade. I'm not sure I have an answer to the topic, but it seems like he's much closer to a 4 year extension than a 1 year prove it deal.

Some of this is hard for us to see. The Packers loved Amari Rodgers. It took triple doses of game day fails for them to give up on him.

It is hard to know if coach love is in the mix for Savage. Right now it’s all kum bah yah with that pick six. Let’s have another and feel good about letting the $$ take care of itself. 

16 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Some of this is hard for us to see. The Packers loved Amari Rodgers. It took triple doses of game day fails for them to give up on him.

It is hard to know if coach love is in the mix for Savage. Right now it’s all kum bah yah with that pick six. Let’s have another and feel good about letting the $$ take care of itself. 

It is in fact, very hard to see, if Savage is playing deep safety well.  We just don't get those looks when watching the games.

I'm going to remain open to the possibility that he has improved his deep space coverage and that he could actually be good back there.  

A couple of questions for the draft experts.

Is there another team in the league who only has 1 FRP on offense? Whether they drafted the guy or not. The Packers only have 1, Jordan Love. 

Is there another offensive line in the league that has no FRPs? Thinking the Rams on this one for sure. 

Edited by Old Guy

19 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

that's not how this works.  Packers owe that 6M no matter what, and it doesn't offset whatever contract he signs with GB.  Any money he signs counts against the cap on top of the 5M in dead money from the void year.

Reason being, he was supposed to cost 11M cap hit this year.  But they decided to spread some of that into next year so half this year half next.

The cap hit accelerates when the contract voids.  if the contract never voids, the cap hits don't accelerate and are spread out over the life of the contract.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

A couple of questions for the draft experts.

Is there another team in the league who only has 1 FRP on offense? Whether they drafted the guy or not. The Packers only have 1, Jordan Love. 

Is there another offensive line in the league that has no FRPs? Thinking the Rams on this one for sure. 

Yes.