Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

? Did he then go on to make changes last year?

More precisely stated....did he relieve anybody of their job (as opposed to filling vacancies due to departures).

To be clear, last year he said:

"I don't really anticipate a whole lot, if any, staff changes at all," LaFleur said during his season-closing press conference on Monday. "Certainly, I think there's a lot of things that all of us can improve upon, most notably myself. But I do believe in the people, not only in the locker room but our coaching staff."

This year it sounds like:

So...there is a chance but I'd still bet against it and hope to be wrong.

• Like 1

Finish up the Monday protocols. Show everyone, players and coaches, their due respect for the very hard work that goes into each season. I still think they would be negligent not to interview candidates for DC and see what the options are. None of this has to be finished this week or on media’s timeline but you can’t claim “due diligence“ if you don’t explore all of the options. If they decide to run it back, there will be plenty of wailing and doubting from the fans with a lot of good reason. We are trying to win it all, if they don’t think Barry can be that guy I don’t want to settle for the devil we know. 

• Like 4

Sounded like LaFleur is at least open to making changes.  I'd go for culture change on the defensive side of the ball .. want aggressiveness, and a team that plays with it's hair on fire.  I'd rather be aggressive and give up a quick score at the end of that San Fran game then let them waltz down the field and get a score that leaves us with a minute on the clock.  Got to put the players in position to make that critical stop.  What we were doing doesn't allow that.  Saw that kind of crap all year long.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Well....that kinda crushes my hope then...that he'll get rid of Barry.
Do I need to call MLF directly at this stage?  :)

How does that crush your hope? Last year he was asked if he was retaining the staff and he said yes.

This year he was asked and he said "it's too early for that talk." If he was retaining everyone, he would've said the same thing as last year.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

How does that crush your hope? Last year he was asked if he was retaining the staff and he said yes. This year he was asked and he said "it's too early for that talk." If he was retaining everyone, he would've said the same thing as last year.

Okay. Got the logic now. Thanks. Good thing too....cause I was on hold with 1265 and was gonna give them a piece of my mind!  :) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

How does that crush your hope? Last year he was asked if he was retaining the staff and he said yes.

This year he was asked and he said "it's too early for that talk." If he was retaining everyone, he would've said the same thing as last year.

My thoughts as well. I wonder how quickly a decision is made should he decide to move on. 

4 minutes ago, Zing said:

My thoughts as well. I wonder how quickly a decision is made should he decide to move on. 

I'd be respectful to Barry. Tell him you have to think it over, to make it appear it was a hard decision. Five seconds later... let him know he's done coaching for the Packers.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

That was such a horseschit narrative in the first place. When asked how GB was disrespectful to veterans, the first and most important example 12 could list was “they didn’t keep Jordy Nelson” - boo hoo, old players get moved on from all the time. It was extremely annoying how many people ate that narrative up. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Aw man, the way that first question immediately broke him down. I know he's been one of the most criticized Packers of the past couple years, but JRJ seems like a genuinely great dude.

• Like 2

The best move the Packers made to start the season was to jettison Ol Rodg.  The worst move they made was not to dump him on the market a year sooner.

If the Packers were to fire a key "manager" such as a D coordinator they had better have a real good idea of who they can get to replace him.  Preferably multiple options.  When you look at Barry's whole body of work it's not good.  We heard things along the like of Lafleur himself had to get involved later in the year to make the changes needed.  If so, and we do not know if that's true, it's pretty clear he must go.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

That was such a horseschit narrative in the first place. When asked how GB was disrespectful to veterans, the first and most important example 12 could list was “they didn’t keep Jordy Nelson” - boo hoo, old players get moved on from all the time. It was extremely annoying how many people ate that narrative up. 

Yup.  There are 0 nfl teams that dont move onnfrom older vets.

NFL business 101

• Like 1