Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

This was talked about in the draft section but turns out it's really fun to grab skill position players in free agency too.   Get to spend a few days looking at youtube highlights of RB's and safeties between now and the draft and is more fun than an offensive lineman

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He probably is, but we need three starters now.  I'm iffy on McDuffie, but he probably deserves an opportunity.  I just think he's going to be fringe, and a guy they will soon be looking to replace.  Gonna draft somebody fairly high and maybe sign a veteran in FA as well.

I think ideally you would want McDuffie to be maybe LB4  in a 4-3.   Would get playing time but not as a starter.  Not sure how you make that happen.  Probably need a FA and pretty high draft pick.  An probably a later round pick as well and see how it shakes up.  In that scenario McDuffie maybe starts season as a starter but you hope a draft pick takes that off him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikemike778 said:

I think ideally you would want McDuffie to be maybe LB4  in a 4-3.   Would get playing time but not as a starter.  Not sure how you make that happen.  Probably need a FA and pretty high draft pick.  An probably a later round pick as well and see how it shakes up.  In that scenario McDuffie maybe starts season as a starter but you hope a draft pick takes that off him.

McDuffie's the starter now simply because he was Campbell's replacement last season. Whether they view him as the long term starter.....not so sure. I like the guy...but not sure he's a killer.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

McDuffie's the starter now simply because he was Campbell's replacement last season. Whether they view him as the long term starter.....not so sure. I like the guy...but not sure he's a killer.

He played under Hafley at BC and fits that Matt Milano mold

reason for optimism there I think

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

Kind of interesting what can happen when a team's front office doesn't head to Cancun the first week of free agency.

The Bears’ front office prefers Juarez. 

• Like 2

These signings align well with both @MacReady and my own perspectives on NFL valuation.

In a league where you can realize the biggest value gaps at QB, EDGE, WR, OT and CB, it makes sense to sign the best FAs at the other positions when a potential stud is available. Commit draft resource (best chances at value surplus) in a preference toward the former. Then use the cap savings to sign the best possible players you can at relatively cheap (compared to more expensive positions) but don't have to be super frugal when doing so.

Of course, much of this is made possible by the cheap WR/TE/QB/OTs, too. Although Bakh's dead cap slightly offsets that, too.

As a bonus, this strategy is extra efficient when you target positions that you perceive to be undervalued by the rest of the league.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

I don’t think the Packers are finished in FA either.

Im expecting another mid tier safety and a linebacker to come.

I'm not sure about another safety, but there probably is more money to be spent depending on how McKinney's deal is structured.

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Today’s my mother’s 16th 49th birthday. I  have changed how counting works in her favor. That still counting?

My mom was the same way except she was stuck at 40 for a few years