Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I wonder if the solution to "they don't have stack LBs to line up with 3 of them" is "don't do that." 

Like it's not like in obvious running situations you can't line up with 5 across the front and 2 stack LBs,  a thing they already have the personnel for.

If we have to go base 3-4 for a year I'm sure hafley can accommodate that, and then just run his nickle the other 80% of the time.

Edited by HighCalebR

9 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

After a day to think about it, the Nixon contract has to be back loaded with "fake" money that will never be paid without a restructured deal.  It's the only way I can make sense of it.  He's simply not a 6M/YR player.

glad to see more are coming around 

yea, i don't get it either. he's not good in coverage

i'm still waiting on the contract details to see what the dead cap hit next season is. and hopefully Gutey plans to draft a slot CB in the first 3 rounds and the rook supplants him

he should NOT be our starting nickel DB week 1 

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

consider me in the crowd entirely unconcerned about the ILB situation

Agree, so many here are gripping about not having enough off the ball LB's when most of the time they will play with 2 and sometimes only 1. Off season worrying about something just to have something to worry about. 

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Unfortunately, I'd say about 98% of this subforum is smarter than most fans.  And the few that aren't included in that group know who they are. 

Oh I know who I are.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I wonder if the solution to "they don't have stack LBs to line up with 3 of them" is "don't do that." 

Like it's not like in obvious running situations you can't line up with 5 across the front and 2 stack LBs,  a thing they already have the personnel for.

Well said. 

Nickel 80% of the time anyway.  If on the 20% you've got Erik Wilson or Kris Barnes or some roster filler vet to be signed later playing, how terrible would that be?  If some rookie plays 20% of the snaps, how bad would that be, especially if you draft decently?  If you have Preston, or 5 across, how bad would it be?  And yeah, if you don't have decent personnel to play with 3 true ILB, then skip it and don't.  

it's not a major need, i agree

i just think with good coaching we could make Devin White or Isaiah Simmons better players. much like we did with Campbell when we signed him for 1 year 2m 

totally fine leaving it for the draft though 

Edited by persiandud

5 hours ago, R T said:

Agree, so many here are gripping about not having enough off the ball LB's when most of the time they will play with 2 and sometimes only 1. Off season worrying about something just to have something to worry about. 

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. 

Don't agree.  We have Walker and that's about it.  Like McDuffie he's ok but really not a starter.  ILB is a major need on this team.  Put it right up there with S.  Gute has to find 2-3 more guys to fill out each room.  Don't be surprised if he burns a Day 2 pick at ILB.  Oh and Wilson is currently not under contract either. Need one more starter at least and some depth in both rooms.  

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Waaaayyyyy too much emphasis on what the 4-3 is while in the base and the need for off ball linebackers.

Telling yah.....Nubin fits the mold of a strong safety that can come down and be that Will when we need him to be.

Heck, that Texas Tech kid with 3 names looks like he can do that as well.  And FA has a lot of those guys, one of which is Adams, who is an absolute wrecking ball, when he isn't wrecked himself.

To me there is a need for that other off ball linebacker, probably a Will.  But it is minimal and it can be filled with a variety of different players, some at different positions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

None of those players are very exciting.  Probably just head to the draft and try to find a fit there. 

I'll take Isaiah Simmons because he's not going to be expensive and he's a freak athlete. 

6 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Don't agree.  We have Walker and that's about it.  Like McDuffie he's ok but really not a starter.  ILB is a major need on this team.  Put it right up there with S.  Gute has to find 2-3 more guys to fill out each room.  Don't be surprised if he burns a Day 2 pick at ILB.  Oh and Wilson is currently not under contract either. Need one more starter at least and some depth in both rooms.  

I'd argue that we need bodies at off ball linebacker.  Preferably guys similar to McDuffie in that they have started and you can rely on them to get you out of a game or even a stretch of games, if injury happens.  I liked Wilson for that role.

So get him back, or a guy like him, draft a kid in the second or third round, then another later in the draft, bring in some UDFA's and be done with it.

Considering that we were in it with Jewell....odds are we will be aggressive in the draft to get a top OBL in the draft.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd argue that we need bodies at off ball linebacker.  Preferably guys similar to McDuffie in that they have started and you can rely on them to get you out of a game or even a stretch of games, if injury happens.  I liked Wilson for that role.

So get him back, or a guy like him, draft a kid in the second or third round, then another later in the draft, bring in some UDFA's and be done with it.

Considering that we were in it with Jewell....odds are we will be aggressive in the draft to get a top OBL in the draft.

This is basically it. The 90-man will probably have 8 players on it this TC, maybe 9. With the signing of Welch yesterday that makes 4, could easily see 2 mid to late round picks and a couple of UDFA's to round that room out. Wouldn't be surprising to see a Wilson type FA added yet either though. 

Still nothing to be gripping about like some seem to be doing.  

• Like 1