Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

29 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Touche! I like the guys who say nothing and just go out and do it. 

Don't get me wrong, Wyatt has the ability to be one of those dudes. I'll be rooting for him. 

We have to decide on tags for both him and Walker pretty soon. I think you tag Walker and take your chances with Wyatt. You can always tag him, but you can't tag both of them. 

Both are entering year 3.  So 5th year option is next offseason.  Still plenty of time before a franchise tag decision is needed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Again, there’s nobody on this team named McKinnon. And who gives AF about team RAS lol. 

I mean I do. Gute's stated rationale behind it is the same as mine. The "ceiling." If you see someone who can do it once you gotta trust your guys to get them to do it consistently. Obviously H/W/S doesn't always win but that's still obviously what should be bet on. It's just playing the odds. 

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Love the confidence and hope this comes true. I'd rather the player do it on the field and then talk about it as opposed to talking about it prior to doing it. 

Wyatt seems to like the new DC's attacking style. Hope he lives up to his words. 

Packers' former first-round pick planning to make 'monster leap' (msn.com)

man he's 26 already??

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 7:36 PM, Old Guy said:

...Wyatt seems to like the new DC's attacking style. Hope he lives up to his words. 

Packers' former first-round pick planning to make 'monster leap' (msn.com)

Wyatt said that Hafley's scheme will allow him to "focus on one thing and not a lot of things" and that focus is going to be "attack, attack, attack instead of reading and reacting" as it was under former defensive coordinator Joe Barry.

Will be really interesting to see whether anything will actually be different?  And if so, will it be advantageous or not?  Not sure there has ever been an NFL defense where guys didn't need to be smart and read?  I can imagine o-linemen welcoming Wyatt to go dashing between them into the backfield, while the RB is dashing forward through some other lane.  May leave more responsibility for ILB to stop the gaps that single-focus-attack linemen are ignoring and leaving open? 

Or maybe it will be great.  Often in past, it seemed like the whole o-line was moving, and our d-linemen were being driven, not driving.  Even when there wasn't a big hole, opposing runners could still sometimes just get pulled/pushed for 5 yards because the whole momentum was in their favor, and our defenders were kinda on their heels.  But maybe we'll attack, attack, attack and the run defense will look very different?  

Hope it all works, and that Wyatt can step up his game.  All the attack, attack, attack sounds great for pass pressure, but yeah, I wonder both about the run defense, and about how well we'll contain scrambling QB's.  Maybe better, if ILB/S have more speed to pursue, if the box and the line have more occupants, and if the whole defense is just compressed in more tightly than recent practice.  

Edited by craig

19 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I mean I do. Gute's stated rationale behind it is the same as mine. The "ceiling." If you see someone who can do it once you gotta trust your guys to get them to do it consistently. Obviously H/W/S doesn't always win but that's still obviously what should be bet on. It's just playing the odds. 

Like the thing about data is that data is not useful without context, and all the RAS numbers from 2020 are a little bit suspect because that was the year the whole pre-draft process got shut down by Covid (including the actual gyms guys train at to put up numbers for the combine.) 

Eric Stokes said trip to Badger Athletic Performance revealed foot wasn't strong enough to support hamstring, leading to rash of injuries. He attacked leg strength all offseason. "I feel like I’m faster than I was before." Hell of a thought. Stokes ran a 4.25 before.
  • Like 1

Jaire dialed in. Defensive backfield should look very different this year with a motivated Jaire and much more talent at safety.

“I think the biggest thing,” Alexander said, “is understanding that, although I am on an island all the time and all day, it’s the culmination of everybody being around, and the culmination of the chemistry we’re building now that’s going to matter later on in the season. You’ll see it.”

“Going into Year 7,” Alexander said, “at this point, I’m trying not to make it as much about myself and just do what’s best for the team.”

“I think it’s just trial and tribulations, you know,” Alexander said. “We all grow at different stages of our lifetime, whether that be sooner or later. So it’s just trial and error, and also wanted to be here for the guys. They need a leader around here.”

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls is such a goober. 

The way he says that last line kills me, like it's good luck that's soon to be expiring rather than the very foreseeable outcome of a very specific strategy. 

• Like 4