Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 6/25/2024 at 1:35 PM, Leader said:

That's really interesting that San Fran has 20 guys ≥30.  Kind of amazing.  I wonder how many are key good players?  Versus roster-fill and camp-bodies?  When there are 90-man spots, or back-of-roster spots, Gute tends to go young.  But maybe 9ers just prefer to pick up older experienced guys like Oren Burks and Campbell for their on-the-bubble competitions?  Kittle is 30.  

Being fair to the 9ers here, only Trent Williams, Jake Brendel, George Kittle, and Javon Hargrave make over 4 million dollars this season, of the guys over 30.  One of them is a punter, one is a long snapper, another is a back-up QB, one is a WR with 3 catches last season.

They haven't had 10+ draft picks since 2017.  The Packers have had at least 11 the last three drafts, and if we go back to 2017, like the 9ers, the Packers have only not had at least 10 picks two times.  Both of those years they had 9.  Just different philosophies.  Also, if you sort the Packers roster by age, I would guess that we cut at least half of the guys over 25 anyway.  This is going to be a very young team again.  I won't pretend to know the specifics of the 9ers roster as well as the Packers' but as I alluded to before, you can probably drop some of their older players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Being fair to the 9ers here, only Trent Williams, Jake Brendel, George Kittle, and Javon Hargrave make over 4 million dollars this season, of the guys over 30.  One of them is a punter, one is a long snapper, another is a back-up QB, one is a WR with 3 catches last season.

They haven't had 10+ draft picks since 2017.  The Packers have had at least 11 the last three drafts, and if we go back to 2017, like the 9ers, the Packers have only not had at least 10 picks two times.  Both of those years they had 9.  Just different philosophies.  Also, if you sort the Packers roster by age, I would guess that we cut at least half of the guys over 25 anyway.  This is going to be a very young team again.  I won't pretend to know the specifics of the 9ers roster as well as the Packers' but as I alluded to before, you can probably drop some of their older players.

If you add up the 49ers cap space between this year and next year they are a combined 7 million over the cap. Next year they have Purdy who is going to need a new deal. Greenlaw and Ward are free agents and then you have the Aiyuk situation to still be played out this year. 

Pretty safe to say, they are putting the chips in the middle this year. Not that they won't be able to field a contender next year. They very likely will have a weaker roster. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Old Guy said:

If you add up the 49ers cap space between this year and next year they are a combined 7 million over the cap. Next year they have Purdy who is going to need a new deal. Greenlaw and Ward are free agents and then you have the Aiyuk situation to still be played out this year. 

Pretty safe to say, they are putting the chips in the middle this year. Not that they won't be able to field a contender next year. They very likely will have a weaker roster. 

They are going to have to have a youth movement in the near future.  Nick Bosa has a cap hit of 52 million in 2027.  I only looked up that season because that is the year a lot of the older guys' contracts are up.  They already have 52 for Bosa, 25 for McCaffrey, and about 25 for Hargrave, Warner, and Kittle on void years.  A lot can, and will, change in the meantime, but that is about 1/3 of their estimated cap space on two players and three guys that won't be under contract.  

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

They are going to have to have a youth movement in the near future.  Nick Bosa has a cap hit of 52 million in 2027.  I only looked up that season because that is the year a lot of the older guys' contracts are up.  They already have 52 for Bosa, 25 for McCaffrey, and about 25 for Hargrave, Warner, and Kittle on void years.  A lot can, and will, change in the meantime, but that is about 1/3 of their estimated cap space on two players and three guys that won't be under contract.  

That is a problem for the 49ers. they have never been especially good with later draft picks, like the Packers manage - and if you want to go young you need lots of draft hits.

The 49ers also fail to invest sufficiently in their O line. How can you go into a season with a 36 year old Trent Williams at LT and the best guy behind him is almost certainly Dominick Puni, taken at the bottom of round 3 this year. They could have really upgraded the interior of the line as well, but didn't. My guess is that they will really regret not taking center JPJ with their first round pick, instead of WR Pearsall. That lack of O line strength and depth is bound to come back and bite them in the season.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Saw a fun stat the other day and I'll assume it was accurate....

Romeo Doubs is just the third Packer to have 100+ receptions, 1000+ receiving yards, and 10+ TDs in their first two seasons. The other two were James Lofton and Sterling Sharpe. 

26 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Saw a fun stat the other day and I'll assume it was accurate....

Romeo Doubs is just the third Packer to have 100+ receptions, 1000+ receiving yards, and 10+ TDs in their first two seasons. The other two were James Lofton and Sterling Sharpe. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, maybe we've underestimated Doubs quite a bit. Maybe this kid is capable of being a hell of a #2 WR. 

BTW, Jayden Reed seems like a very good bet to join that list after this season. If all TDs count Reed already has that threshold crossed. 

5 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

SF is in win now mode and will have to do some retooling in a couple pf years.  I don't see where they have any cap issues that seem out of the ordinary.

You can always create space, but they also have a WR problem. Aiyuk doesn't want to play on the 5th year deal. Samuel will be on the final year of his deal next year. No way, at the age of 29 with the way he plays, is he going to play next year without an extension. Pearsall seems like a desperation pick but clearly, they are expecting him to take one of those two spots next year.  

Kittle will be 32 next year and in the last year of his deal. He won't want to play, on a one-year deal at his age either. 

McCaffrey is going into his 8th year. That is a lot of wear and tear on a RB.