Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, StatKing said:

The flip flopping going on in some of these posts is legendary. I was led to believe for years that QBs who miss OTAs/Training Camp because they wanted a new contract were selfish divas. Also what happened to that hometown discount people were claiming he was gonna take? It's almost like people on this forum hated the last guy for reasons outside of football....

The people he's referring to:

Is the term 'straw man' gender insensitive? - Quora

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, StatKing said:

The flip flopping going on in some of these posts is legendary. I was led to believe for years that QBs who miss OTAs/Training Camp because they wanted a new contract were selfish divas. Also what happened to that hometown discount people were claiming he was gonna take? It's almost like people on this forum hated the last guy for reasons outside of football....

Yeah Rodgers turned into a wanker. Love is not giving off wankerish vibes. If this time next week he ain't signed up then I might get on the wank train but till then we good.

I'd like to think a deal is done by the time pads come on...

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

There was HOPE that Love would sign a team-friendly contract.  And I think most were upset when Rodgers came out and said that he wasn't trying to be the highest paid QB, and would sign a team-friendly contract.  And the reality was he did the opposite of what he said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

AgendaKing is doing AgendaKing things.

Football really is back!

I've always been consistent when it comes to guys getting every dime they can. You guys are the ones who change your narrative based on personal feelings about the player as a person.

7 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

ultimate revenge story for eason. 2-4 day camp arm contract goes to him years after fromm ends his georgia tenure. what a story. this is the climax of the eason movie. 

I guess we're gonna have an ongoing footnote about how our Long Snapping is terrible this year again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, craig said:

I like the Newman revision.  Modest enough that if he's the better player, you can keep him.  And if as we hope somebody else emerges as better and more promising, the better man can win. 

Personally, I don't think Newman is that bad.  I don't expect that much from deep subs.  Is he good?  No.  But you can run your offense with him at guard, and most of the time you don't notice.  Whiffs and gets beaten badly sometimes, more often than you'd like which is why he's nobody's starter.  But that may happen with other backups too... or with Rhyan.  I surely hope Rhyan really steps up with opportunity and increasing experience.  But I'm not actually even sure that the gap between Rhyan and Newman is necessarily all that large.  Sure hope that Rhyan continues to progress and to refine his game, and ends up being perfectly solid.  

I like it too.  Herman said it is basically veteran minimum for a 4th year player, I haven't looked at it myself.  That is a pretty good rate for Newman.  We don't want him to start, and if he just plays FG ST units that means the OL was remarkably healthy.  What he has going for him is the ability to play either guard or right tackle, which makes him a valuable "up" on game days.  If he makes the team, it just means that the rookies aren't ready yet.  If he is cut, then they are.  Newman being a top 9 or 10 OL is not absurd, nor something to be worried about.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Presumably 5 years, $280M in new money on top of what he's getting paid this year.  It'll likely drop his base salary to the minimum, and spread the signing bonus over this year plus the additional 4 seasons they're allowed to.

6 yrs 300 million IS a home town discount.

16 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The hold-up with the Love deal is probably mostly about the Packers wanting to make sure they have the flexibility to resign their other good young players when their deals are up, not "being unwilling to reset the QB market."

How and when the "future" guarantees kick in.  

2025/2026/2027 base salary guaranteed on X date.

Option bonus that converts to signing bonus .

GB will likely have the ability to move guaranteed money to future years to afford retaining / adding needed players.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There was HOPE that Love would sign a team-friendly contract.  And I think most were upset when Rodgers came out and said that he wasn't trying to be the highest paid QB, and would sign a team-friendly contract.  And the reality was he did the opposite of what he said.

The thing is, if it's structured correctly, the way things go the 6 yrs/300 mil will be gobsmacking at first but by the end it'll morph into something team friendly. 

Mahomes set the market with his extension and right now he's a f'in bargain (part of that is because he's clearly the best in the game now with no challengers, but even if he were "just" a top 5 guy his annual would be a good value)