Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

How soon you forget the gospel of Matty Flynn. The second coming of our prodigal son was not really glorious, but it won us a game to help get 12 back in time to break the Bears in a final game to win the division.

I completely forgot he actually came back.

25 minutes ago, Chili said:

When Rodgers got injured Hundley became our starting QB and we brought in some random nobody as backup.

Before we started making Hundleymania jokes, he was looking like a legit player that could develop into a Heinickie or Tyler Huntley kind of player, like a QB1.5.  But he kind of stagnated.  And we then had a year 3 player making year 1 mistakes, and we just can't have that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Before we started making Hundleymania jokes, he was looking like a legit player that could develop into a Heinickie or Tyler Huntley kind of player, like a QB1.5.  But he kind of stagnated.  And we then had a year 3 player making year 1 mistakes, and we just can't have that.

I'm going to need video evidence of the bolded part. 

39 minutes ago, Chili said:

A question for long time Packers fans, whenever the backup QB situation got dicey, Packers fans, generally speaking, always clamour for an experienced QB.

Has that ever happened? fulfill the fans wishes by bringing in an experienced QB? I feel like they always bring in a project backup QB.

Kizer and Willis are the most recent ones I remember.

They chose to keep Boyle as #2 rather than finding someone better and more experienced.

When Rodgers got injured Hundley became our starting QB and we brought in some random nobody as backup.

It seems the Packers front office MO is to bring in young backup QB to develop and this doesn't appear to have changed under Gute. If that is the case then why are we wasting our breath screaming for an experienced backup when the evidence suggest otherwise? 🤣

People are wasting their breath about veteran backups, but if they have heard of them then they feel better about it even though it seldom matters. 

During Wolf's era he did bring in some even with drafting some pretty good future QBs. He brought in Jim McMahon and got him a SB ring, followed by Steve Bono and Doug Pederson. 

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm going to need video evidence of the bolded part. 

just let me dust off the vhs of the 2016 preseason...

You don't think he looked good? I thought there was something there. More so than Kizer or Clifford or whomever else we have trotted out there.  But he just didn't develop.  Sometimes they don't.

51 minutes ago, Chili said:

A question for long time Packers fans, whenever the backup QB situation got dicey, Packers fans, generally speaking, always clamour for an experienced QB.

Has that ever happened? fulfill the fans wishes by bringing in an experienced QB? I feel like they always bring in a project backup QB.

Kizer and Willis are the most recent ones I remember.

They chose to keep Boyle as #2 rather than finding someone better and more experienced.

It seems the Packers front office MO is to bring in young backup QB to develop and this doesn't appear to have changed under Gute. If that is the case then why are we wasting our breath screaming for an experienced backup when the evidence suggest otherwise? 🤣

wallace, seneca

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But he just didn't develop.  Sometimes they don't.

Which might turn out to be the case with Willis. Although he's only been in the league a few years, based on my knowledge of him, I've viewing him as a reclamation project. Maybe they'll straighten him out....maybe not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

wallace, seneca

He actually looked like he might get us out of a game or two and then immediately pulled his old man groin just as soon as we had hope that the whole season might not be lost. 

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You don't think he looked good? I thought there was something there. More so than Kizer or Clifford or whomever else we have trotted out there.  But he just didn't develop.  Sometimes they don't.

Hundley showed a couple of flashes but looked a lot better when watching preseason and huffing from the paper bag of hopium. When we came out after the bye, traditionally a MM strong point, and trotted him out there to get stomped by DET the buzz wore off pretty quickly for me. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Do we practice this afternoon? Surprised we haven't seen PS additions flowing in today.

The waiver claim window will be closed and processed at noon which means it's happening in 10 minutes (if I got the time zone conversion correct). Once that happens we can start signing guys for the PS. The details should start coming in very shortly.

Edited by Chili

Goes to show that waiver claims are rare because the player you're putting the claim on has to be better than the guy on the 53 that you're cutting. It's also contract considerations, the guy might have an expensive contract and if you claim him the team has to take on his entire contract which affects the salary cap.

Over the years Packers players very rarely get claimed. Last two was Price (DT) and Taysom Hill.