Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Disagree. Huber made a good point after people were coming after him, the Packers wouldn't have suspended him for an actual "mental health" issue. He just ****ed up and make a dumb decision.

I agree to an extent.  Even if Doubs never expressed being unhappy with his role in the offense, the act of skipping two days of mid-week practice/meetings with no communication is probably suspension worthy.

• Like 1

RE: Doubs

What we read about him last year was that he was wired a bit differently. He didn't hang with the other players much, and he put in lots of work because he fretted about being perfect. Whatever happened, it probably has to do with his being hard-minded to the point of being kind of brittle. It takes so many factors to make a world class athlete, and my fear for him is that this one episode doesn't have to do with youth and poor choices but with a lack of emotional resilience and social intelligence that become an obstacle to the success he deserves.

What I mean by the social intelligence stuff is just me proposing that he might be driven in such a personal way that his job and his performance and his role consume him to the point that he can't easily see the larger picture of his duties to the team. He's not a typical "Gimme the rock or I walk" wide receiver--but he may as well be if he walks off again. I am still rooting for him, for sure, but I would not be surprised if another episode like this would be his last in Green Bay.

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I agree to an extent.  Even if Doubs never expressed being unhappy with his role in the offense, the act of skipping two days of mid-week practice/meetings with no communication is probably suspension worthy.

The key is the no-call, no-show.  No matter what industry you are in, you can't do that.  Most employers will work through things with you, whether it is mental health, some kind of scheduling conflict (harder for a pro athlete), family emergency, or even getting sick.  But you have to be transparent about it, and they appreciate the earliest notification as possible. But part of being an adult is being accountable for yourself.  

I can empathize with whatever his issue happens to be.  But his his suspension, and probable loss of trust with teammates, are 100% at his own feet.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The key is the no-call, no-show.  No matter what industry you are in, you can't do that.  Most employers will work through things with you, whether it is mental health, some kind of scheduling conflict (harder for a pro athlete), family emergency, or even getting sick.  But you have to be transparent about it, and they appreciate the earliest notification as possible. But part of being an adult is being accountable for yourself.  

I can empathize with whatever his issue happens to be.  But his his suspension, and probable loss of trust with teammates, are 100% at his own feet.

Yeah, even as a severely underpaid part time prep cook, the no call/no show was one of the few things that could get you ****canned that didn’t involve stealing. None of us know what the underlying issue was or is but just because he’s saying it’s not about his role doesn’t mean that doesn’t have something to do with it. Anyway, hope it’s water under the bridge and he kills it for the rest of the season. In the offseason when it’s time to start making some plans for the future, the whole situation can be evaluated more clearly. 

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'm guessing the team has expressed that to him now that he doesn't need to hide from them and he can go to them about issues he's having

Any team has a whole bunch of people with a whole bunch of personalities and life situations.  Doubs is an exceptionally quiet, soft-spoken guy, very unusually so for a pro athlete.   I give him a lot of credit for being willing to get interviewed at all, he didn't have to do that.  That took some courage, he's obviously not comfortable with interviews.  I wish that young man all the best, and hope that over time this doesn't damage his long-term career with the Packers.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, craig said:

Any team has a whole bunch of people with a whole bunch of personalities and life situations.  Doubs is an exceptionally quiet, soft-spoken guy, very unusually so for a pro athlete.   I give him a lot of credit for being willing to get interviewed at all, he didn't have to do that.  That took some courage, he's obviously not comfortable with interviews.  I wish that young man all the best, and hope that over time this doesn't damage his long-term career with the Packers.  

This scans so much better than the "can his arse" type posts I've seen around. Plus points to @craig for showing humanity.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2024 at 10:54 AM, Uffdaswede said:

RE: Doubs

What we read about him last year was that he was wired a bit differently. He didn't hang with the other players much, and he put in lots of work because he fretted about being perfect. Whatever happened, it probably has to do with his being hard-minded to the point of being kind of brittle. It takes so many factors to make a world class athlete, and my fear for him is that this one episode doesn't have to do with youth and poor choices but with a lack of emotional resilience and social intelligence that become an obstacle to the success he deserves.

What I mean by the social intelligence stuff is just me proposing that he might be driven in such a personal way that his job and his performance and his role consume him to the point that he can't easily see the larger picture of his duties to the team. He's not a typical "Gimme the rock or I walk" wide receiver--but he may as well be if he walks off again. I am still rooting for him, for sure, but I would not be surprised if another episode like this would be his last in Green Bay.

In high pressure-based businesses this isn't that uncommon, those that burn very hot can implode. The good news is that he can learn from it and learn to manage it. It doesn't need to be forever who he is, yet some fans sadly will brand him for life over it.    

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does anyone know how many teams switched kickers since last season?  Now I'm actually curious how those K's are doing.

Quick search: 

Commanders - Austin Seibert - he was cut by the Jets on cut down day and available. Wash signed him and he's 15-16 on FGs so far this year. Been very good. 

Lions - Jake Bates - signed this off-season, he's 9-9 on FGs (missed one PAT)

Vikings - Will Reichard - drafted rookie, he's 9-9 on FGs

Jags - Cam Little - drafted rookie, he's 10-11 on FGs

Patriots - Joey Slye - signed with them in off-season, he's 9-11 on FGs

Beyond that, the Cardinals and Niners signed Chad Ryland (5-6 on FGs) and Matthew Wright (3-3) to fill in for injured kickers this year.

So yea.....this is pretty much just a Packers' problem. 

It looks like whoever is evaluating the kickers for GB has a real blind spot.  It's almost hard to have results this bad.  No other replacement K's are even close to as bad as what GB is experiencing, and this is after drafting the worst K in the league a year ago.

Nervouson missing 4 of 9 kicks from 40-49 is just unbelievably bad, and probably explains why he hasn't attempted a kick from 50+ yet.  The guy from CAR is the only other K who hasn't logged a 50+ attempt, and his overall FG% is at 90.  I have to believe the only thing keeping Nervouson employed is that he's a perfect 16-16 on XP's, which just makes his struggles from 40-49 even more bizarre.

18 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It looks like whoever is evaluating the kickers for GB has a real blind spot.  It's almost hard to have results this bad.  No other replacement K's are even close to as bad as what GB is experiencing, and this is after drafting the worst K in the league a year ago.

Nervouson missing 4 of 9 kicks from 40-49 is just unbelievably bad, and probably explains why he hasn't attempted a kick from 50+ yet.  The guy from CAR is the only other K who hasn't logged a 50+ attempt, and his overall FG% is at 90.  I have to believe the only thing keeping Nervouson employed is that he's a perfect 16-16 on XP's, which just makes his struggles from 40-49 even more bizarre.

Curious question; out of the misses, how many have been on the left hashmark and pushed so straight it ends up wide right? I almost want to say that Bray's big weakness is he sometimes doesn't adjust his kicking foot in order to angle those shots dead-center. Sometimes he does, but other times, no.

23 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Agree with this. It is a problem and it’s costing us games or affecting our strategies during the game. For a team that hopes to go places, it’s an odd “impediment” to go unaddressed.