Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Yeah I guess. Usually you hear oh his brother played, even if he was a bum.

Total rabbit hole. I'm reading something about Blount on here, and then it said he was on the Titans, and I was like he was? So I go to Wikipedia and see he was cut in Sept after signing there after the draft. But as I'm skimming I see this:

"In August 2010, Blount was involved in another incident in which he threw a punch, this time at teammate defensive end Eric Bakhtiari" and it's like okay let's click that and see if they are related...and sure enough.

Dayum, that was quite the rabbit hole find!  Glad you found it though.  And you’re right - there’s usually some info about a player who has a family member also in the league, even if they’re not playing anymore.  

• Like 1

"Ted Thompson and Brian Gutekunst have spent very little time in each other’s company since the former assumed his new role as senior advisor to football operations and the latter was promoted to general manager of the Green Bay Packers earlier this month"

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/27/former-gm-ted-thompson-energized-new-role-packers-talent-scout/1070372001/

3 hours ago, Leader said:

"Ted Thompson and Brian Gutekunst have spent very little time in each other’s company since the former assumed his new role as senior advisor to football operations and the latter was promoted to general manager of the Green Bay Packers earlier this month"

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/27/former-gm-ted-thompson-energized-new-role-packers-talent-scout/1070372001/

I see nothing wrong with this. Gute doesn't want to seem like he can't do the job and needs to lean on TT. I am guessing he will reach out when needed but I am betting he had plenty of ideas on how to run the department and that is what blew MM away.

1 hour ago, IBleedGreen&Gold said:

I see nothing wrong with this. Gute doesn't want to seem like he can't do the job and needs to lean on TT. I am guessing he will reach out when needed but I am betting he had plenty of ideas on how to run the department and that is what blew MM away.

I agree. I see no downside to Gute using TT's talents to supplement his own. I've no problem whatsoever with collaborative functioning. Ultimately its the GM's decision and he knows that.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Sorry man, but that quote is stirring the pot. If you read the entire article, you realize why they have spent so little time, and it's a non-issue. Thompson has been on the road scouting, and obviously Gute has been busy, and hit the road as well. 

"We haven’t had a ton of time together,” Gutekunst said last week. “But we’ve worked together for so long that it’s pretty typical."

Edited by cannondale

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:
4 hours ago, Leader said:

Sorry man, but that quote is stirring the pot. If you read the entire article, you realize why they have spent so little time, and it's a non-issue. Thompson has been on the road scouting, and obviously Gute has been busy, and hit the road as well. 

"We haven’t had a ton of time together,” Gutekunst said last week. “But we’ve worked together for so long that it’s pretty typical."

Yup.   TT is doing what he wanted to do, out on the road scouting college players in various corners of the US.  He very well may not return to GB until draft weekend.  Probably  will send in his scouting info via Pony Express

38 minutes ago, cannondale said:

?

Stirring the pot? If I'm not mistaken its the opening paragraph of the article which I did read in its entirely and posted with zero intent to stir anything.

Was looking at the Corey Linsley contract, and it's incredibly interesting.

2018: $4.85M ($6M)
2019: $8.15M ($4M)
2020: $10.5M ($2M)

The first number is his cap hit, and the second number is the dead cap incurred by releasing him.  It's effectively a 1 year deal with a pair of team options.  By releasing Corey Linsley after 2018, the Packers save a bit under $4M by releasing him.  So if he struggles with injury or plays poorly, they can release him.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Was looking at the Corey Linsley contract, and it's incredibly interesting.

2018: $4.85M ($6M)
2019: $8.15M ($4M)
2020: $10.5M ($2M)

The first number is his cap hit, and the second number is the dead cap incurred by releasing him.  It's effectively a 1 year deal with a pair of team options.  By releasing Corey Linsley after 2018, the Packers save a bit under $4M by releasing him.  So if he struggles with injury or plays poorly, they can release him.

Seems like IOL and one that can play center would be a target in mid-late rounds.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

2018 cap hit of $11M is steep.  

He gets released, that 11M becomes history and the market reestablishes his value:

"Talib has two years remaining on the six-year, $57MM deal he signed with the Broncos in 2014, and he is set to make $11MM in 2018..... It’s fair to wonder, though, if interested teams will simply wait for Talib to be released rather than try to trade for him. Jeff Legwold of ESPN.com says he asked three GMs at this year’s Senior Bowl if they would trade for Talib, and they all said “no” (Twitter link). After all, if the Broncos were to cut Talib, they would take on only $1MM in dead money, meaning that they would still shave $10MM off the books. So, if teams are confident Talib will be available anyway, they will not be as likely to give up draft capital for his services"

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

2018 cap hit of $11M is steep.  

For a top end CB, that is pretty reasonable. I’d cut Cobb in an instant to bring on Talib. Only question id have would be his character, and it’s a big question that should give Gute pause on if he’d be worth it. Don’t need another Bennett type player here. 

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

For a top end CB, that is pretty reasonable. I’d cut Cobb in an instant to bring on Talib. Only question id have would be his character, and it’s a big question that should give Gute pause on if he’d be worth it. Don’t need another Bennett type player here. 

I think that alone will put us out on Talib, no matter who the GM is.