Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I’m not sure exactly how they’re arriving at their numbers, but FG added is likely a measure of how a kicker fares vs. the difficulty of the kick. I’m no mathmagician but it seems to me that points added is a better measure than FG added, and that it would be more useful as a points added per kick number than what appears to just be a flat FG added. Maybe I’m a dummy though. 

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If feel like graphic designers are just making up stats at this point so they can make charts

all of this can be pulled out automatically as far as the charts and visualizations go.  Just all Rstats

@packfanfb this shows how many FGs more each kicker made than they would be expected to make from 2009-2017.

12 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I’m not sure exactly how they’re arriving at their numbers, but FG added is likely a measure of how a kicker fares vs. the difficulty of the kick. I’m no mathmagician but it seems to me that points added is a better measure than FG added, and that it would be more useful as a points added per kick number than what appears to just be a flat FG added. Maybe I’m a dummy though. 

points added is just 3x what these numbers are.  Same thing.  FGs are all worth 3, and this doesn't account for XPs at all.

The bolded part is exactly correct.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

all of this can be pulled out automatically as far as the charts and visualizations go.  Just all Rstats

@packfanfb this shows how many FGs more each kicker made than they would be expected to make from 2009-2017.

Ah, so what determines the "expectation" -- in order words what criteria turns an expected make into an unexpected one? 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You're telling me an average kicker nails 61 yard GWs all the time? Cause Elliot isn't even registered. Seems like a completely arbitrary stat.

how about you try to understand what the stat is before you pick it apart.

Elliot has a NET added Field Goals over expectation of 0.  It's because the 61 yarder he made is counterbalanced by several 30-x yarders he missed.

19 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

how about you try to understand what the stat is before you pick it apart.

Elliot has a NET added Field Goals over expectation of 0.  It's because the 61 yarder he made is counterbalanced by several 30-x yarders he missed.

Why would I care about kicker analytics honestly? Lol. We don't need kicker analytics. 

• Like 1