Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

Just wait...... to show he is different from TT, Gute is putting together a deal for Reuben Foster :D    

Then you will have to log on here each hour, to see if he has done anything suspension-worthy yet.

If that were to really happen, there would be a mushroom cloud over Texas..........HtoZ nuclear alert sirens are sounding. That might not be the only state where someone has 'gone critical', either.

It's not like I have a problem with SIGNING inside linebackers.  I'd have a serious problem with signing Foster the person, not Foster the position. 

Didn't he beat the crap out of some woman? 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It's not like I have a problem with SIGNING inside linebackers.  I'd have a serious problem with signing Foster the person, not Foster the position. 

I see no way he doesn't get some serious prison time. 

11 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Reportedly beat his girlfriend round the head, dragged her out of the house by her hair, ruptured her eardrum.................................................I'd expect him to do jail time.

On 4/11/2018 at 12:11 PM, packfanfb said:

Couldn't agree more about Jake Ryan. Yet, he's currently one of two ILBs on our roster right now. Don't understand that at all.

Some stuff I like of Fennell's and others I feel like he's an idiot. Jake Ryan isn't on any roster bubble. He's a fine 2 down run playing LB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Some stuff I like of Fennell's and others I feel like he's an idiot. Jake Ryan isn't on any roster bubble. He's a fine 2 down run playing LB.

Only way Ryan is on the roster bubble is if there are a few ILB that are drafted/UDFA that are noticeably better than Ryan.  I think it would be pretty surprising for multiple ILB newcomers to supplant him

On 4/11/2018 at 10:11 AM, packfanfb said:

Couldn't agree more about Jake Ryan. Yet, he's currently one of two ILBs on our roster right now. Don't understand that at all.

What Fennell's saying is what many of us have been saying for some time about both Fackrell and Ryan. 

The day Dom and the previous GM were sent packing, Ryan and Fackrell's roster status should have immediately become precarious assuming they would now be judged more by their (mediocre to poor) play on the field rather than by their draft/rookie contract status off of it. 

Now, given the dearth of current talent on the roster both ILB and OLB it is quite possible that Jake and Kyler will still make the team in 2018. 

If they are both still being counted on to contribute much at all in 2018, then all I can say is good luck Mike Pettine. You'll need it.

Edited by TheOnlyThing

3 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

What Fennell's saying is what many of us have been saying for some time about both Fackrell and Ryan. 

The day Dom and the previous GM were sent packing, Ryan and Fackrell's roster status should have immediately become precarious assuming they would now be judged more by their (mediocre to poor) play on the field rather than by their draft/rookie contract status off of it. 

Now, given the dearth of current talent on the roster both ILB and OLB it is quite possible that Jake and Kyler will still make the team in 2018. 

If they are both still being counted on to contribute much at all in 2018, then all I can say is good luck Mike Pettine. You'll need it.

I'm sure he'll be just fine, because Ryan is a good player and Fackrell is hopefully going to be the 4/5th EDGE.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't see it with Ryan, and I'm a Michigan guy. To me, Ryan would be a fine ST guy and a good guy to come off the bench if there's an injury. He shouldn't be starting. That's aiming WAY too low.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't see it with Ryan, and I'm a Michigan guy. To me, Ryan would be a fine ST guy and a good guy to come off the bench if there's an injury. He shouldn't be starting. That's aiming WAY too low.

Does Ryan cost the Packers games?

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Does Ryan cost the Packers games?

Maybe. It sure doesnt help. Why does that matter? Would it cost us games to have Carl Bradford instead of Brian Urlacher at ILB? Maybe not, but why settle for mediocrity? 

38 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He plays on run downs and is good at stopping the run. Again I fail to see any issue.

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Maybe. It sure doesnt help. Why does that matter? Would it cost us games to have Carl Bradford instead of Brian Urlacher at ILB? Maybe not, but why settle for mediocrity? 

Because using a semi-high or high pick on a position that doesn't lend itself to impacting a game highly isn't a smart use of resources, especially towards a player who hasn't cost the Packers a game and probably won't.  Would I prefer to have Brian Urlacher in the middle?  Absolutely, but I'm more content with Jake Ryan in the middle with Von Miller on the outside than I am with Brian Urlacher in the middle and Kyler Fackrell on the outside.  IF we luck into a stud ILB in the mid-rounds, great.  If not, I'm not losing any iota of sleep over Jake Ryan taking meaningful snaps.  You're not "settling for mediocrity", you're using your resources wisely.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He plays on run downs and is good at stopping the run. Again I fail to see any issue.

certainly possible that there's a DP and an UDFA or low priority UFA who could push him though.  There's no reason to prioritize replacing him, but it's a scenario that could play out.  Especially if he were to have an ankle sprain and miss 2-3 weeks of camp, fall behind in the playbook, etc.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Ya I saw that, don't know why he lumped him with Fackrell, Ryan is a much better player than Fackrell is.

Can someone explain to me the theory behind "devaluing" inside linebackers? This is something I've been aware of for years but never really understood. It always seems to me that guys like Urlacher, Lewis, Thomas, Kuechly, Willis, Bowman, Wagner are among the biggest difference-makers in the NFL—certainly the DPOY awards bear that out, and the fact that they're seemingly always associated with great defenses. We've obviously never had anyone like that (not during my lifetime, I should say) so I've always thought adding a stud ILB/MLB would be amazing. And yet, other than Hawk, we've never really coveted it... why is that?

Earlier this offseason, I mentioned Roquan Smith in my list of elite defenders I'd love to see fall to us, and a number of posters quickly talked me out of it, saying an "off-the-ball" linebacker isn't what we need. And fair enough! I just don't understand is all. Someone please enlighten me. 

Edited by Lodestar