Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I feel like what he said would be hard to find examples of at all, for anyone.

I love this idea because we know Blake’s avg tackle depth is like 4.8 yards so apparently on a typical play he’s meeting the ballcarrier like 1-5 yards in the backfield and just getting taken for a ride

2 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Especially at what he signed for.

That is why I'd be reluctant to sign a Bulaga and even Bhak to longterm deals. American Football is a highly physical sport and production is like a bell curve. Few players produce into their third contract and paying big bucks for that I feel is a mistake. That's why I like what Gute did last year pay top dollar to guys on their second contract.

1 minute ago, Brit Pack said:

That is why I'd be reluctant to sign a Bulaga and even Bhak to longterm deals. American Football is a highly physical sport and production is like a bell curve. Few players produce into their third contract and paying big bucks for that I feel is a mistake. That's why I like what Gute did last year pay top dollar to guys on their second contract.

I was watching the NFL deal on Bill Walsh. He once told Randy Cross he thought he had 5 or 6 years left in the NFL but he only want 2 or 3 of them. He then said, he was only interested in his prime years, not his years in decline. 

It's ruthless as hell, but it's also the way a great GM should approach things in the modern NFL. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I was watching the NFL deal on Bill Walsh. He once told Randy Cross he thought he had 5 or 6 years left in the NFL but he only want 2 or 3 of them. He then said, he was only interested in his prime years, not his years in decline. 

It's ruthless as hell, but it's also the way a great GM should approach things in the modern NFL. 

Now you said that I remember seeing it too!!! Being from the UK I follow Soccer here which is a much less physical sport and rarely do clubs spend big on players who are about to hit 30. A top level soccer player in general can play at such a level to about 33. I don't see how most NFL players with all the punishment they take can still play at the elite level into their 30's. There are exceptions of course but as a rule I wouldn't touch an ageing player. The Packers in the past have suffered from that keeping hold of guys too long.

7 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Now you said that I remember seeing it too!!! Being from the UK I follow Soccer here which is a much less physical sport and rarely do clubs spend big on players who are about to hit 30. A top level soccer player in general can play at such a level to about 33. I don't see how most NFL players with all the punishment they take can still play at the elite level into their 30's. There are exceptions of course but as a rule I wouldn't touch an ageing player. The Packers in the past have suffered from that keeping hold of guys too long.

Soccer players are constantly running whereas the NFL is a 5-10 second play and then about a 25 second pause. Sure, the physical body blows add up, but recovery time is much greater than that of a soccer player's; plus you have to bear in mind that the season is much shorter.

11 minutes ago, Joe said:

Soccer players are constantly running whereas the NFL is a 5-10 second play and then about a 25 second pause. Sure, the physical body blows add up, but recovery time is much greater than that of a soccer player's; plus you have to bear in mind that the season is much shorter.

True to a point but soccer players I feel are no way the level of athletes that NFL players are and the demands are much less. For example soccer player who tear ACL are back playing typically within 6 months. Also the NFL is really predicated on speed and decision making in extreme short bursts that means as a player you really have to be at the top of your game, you can't coast along. In soccer it is easy to hide and be quiet for 80 minutes and do some magic for 10.

Factor into that concussion and a 30 year old NFL player will have been through the mill much more than a soccer player would have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

True to a point but soccer players I feel are no way the level of athletes that NFL players are and the demands are much less. For example soccer player who tear ACL are back playing typically within 6 months. Also the NFL is really predicated on speed and decision making in extreme short bursts that means as a player you really have to be at the top of your game, you can't coast along. In soccer it is easy to hide and be quiet for 80 minutes and do some magic for 10.

Factor into that concussion and a 30 year old NFL player will have been through the mill much more than a soccer player would have.

I agree with some of this. NFL collisions are often bigger by the nature of the game. I wouldn't call soccer players lesser athletes, they are a different type though. They have to scoot about for 90 minutes without much recovery time. NFL players are either sprinter types (WRs CBs) or huge guys that would really struggle to run 60 yds. There are in-between guys like linebackers or TEs, but you get the idea.

I'd expect NFL players in the very big/strong, and the very fast categories of NFL players to be either huger and more muscular than soccer players, or blazing fast over say 40 yds. By contrast, footballers are guys who pay much more attention to stamina, given how much more flowing their game is compared to the start-stop nature of the NFL. Both NFL extremes (the big and the fast) are very energy-intensive for a short space of time (one play).  It's a similar comparison between the NFL and rugby players, where even the big rugby guys have to run around all game, which imposes limits on how big they can be and still play.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Until you have a 38 year old QB making 36 million dollars next year. 

Why don't you just make this your sig, it will save you the trouble of typing it eleventy million times this year
Just trying to be efficient here

Lombardi was running practice one day and he was riding em hard. Over and over they ran the sweep, but if anybody messed up - he'd make em run it again
Both the offense and the defense were getting tired of the repetition
After about the the 10th time, Jerry Kramer told the old man : "Hey Coach !  By now, even Nitschke knows its gonna be a sweep "

Lombardi laughed and practice was mercifully ended.

• Like 3