Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Leader said:

Agreed. He's an affordable stop gap. Not great. Not terrible.

It is what it is in a salary cap world.

Be interesting to see how high OT (or a G to OT project) gets selected in the draft.

I'd take Wagner's ceiling over Lowry's so I'd say DL is still the priority at RD 1. All depends on value though.

• Like 1

SI -  The San Francisco 49ers traded defensive lineman DeForest Buckner to the Indianapolis Colts for a first-round pick, with the Colts quickly signing Buckner to a contract extension worth a reported $21 million per season.

That means it wasn’t only a good day for Buckner but for Green Bay Packers standout Kenny Clark.

Buckner and Clark were first-round picks in 2016, with Buckner being the seventh pick of the draft and Clark the 27th. Both players were set to play the 2020 season under their fifth-year option. Buckner’s contract extension sheds some light on Clark’s future deal. That future deal isn’t coming anytime soon, though. A source said that won’t be coming until after free agency.

15 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I get it, Clark's been solid for us but I'm not giving him that contract. He's no Fletcher Cox. You give that type of money to a difference maker which he isn't.

I was very much opposed to the drafting of young Kenny Clark.  

But he is a difference maker.  He's a game wrecker.  And he's still very young.  Meaning, he still can and will improve.

I honestly do not know if there is that much difference between Cox and Clark.  Probably a difference in exposure to the national media due to Cox having a great game or two during a playoff run that resulted in a Super Bowl victory.  Probably a difference in scheme, too, Cox plays the pass a ton and I've seen plenty of plays when he simply disappears in the run game.  Kenny is a "plus/plus" defender against the run and a "plus" against the pass.  I'd say Cox is a "plus" against the run and a "plus plus" against he pass.

To me, the Clark contract is easy.  Try like heck to re-sign him, franchise him, or franchise/trade for a king's ransom.  It isn't a terrible situation to be in, unless you are Clark and get injured.

• Like 1