Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, Leader said:

You just have to figure they've seen enough of him.

Clearly its between Kizer and Hundley and this new UDFA guy will take some reps off their arms during TC/PS.

What is this, the 4th time they’ve cut him? Agree, they’ve seen enough. 

12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

He didn’t play like a top 100 player in the league last year - not even in the top 200.  Glad he’s at least acknowledging his poor play.  Need him to step up BIG this year.

He's number 100, not too overrated there lol.

56 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Lots of people down on HaHas play last season. I like that he's being honest that he could be way better and having a down year after a lot of criticism from the fans. I believe he'll have a rebound year!

"Im betting on myself" makes me think he's not gonna be interested in signing an extension until after the season. 

this may be known to the rest of yall, but it's news to me. or i didn't realize at least.. we got 41.6m in cap space next year. add on the likely cuts of tramon williams (4.75m savings) & bryan bulaga (6.75) and we got 53.1m. and two 1sts. FAs 1) HaHa 2) CMIII 3) Cobb 4) Wilkerson 5) Monty 6) Rip 7) Jake Ryan. We're sitting nicely. 

14 hours ago, Leader said:

"Monday afternoon, Gutekunst had made the decision to release Joe Callahan, the former Division III standout who spent most of the last two seasons in Green Bay"

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/04/30/packers-release-joe-callahan/565943002/

I liked callahan but mostly because he looked like a kid on the playground running for his life. Im not sure if I ever saw him complete a pass in rythm it seems like they were all after everything broke down. Perhaps thats because those are the ones that stick out. 

8 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

"Im betting on myself" makes me think he's not gonna be interested in signing an extension until after the season. 

He knows he's not going to be offered an extension at least until next season, because he doesn't deserve one. 

Clinton-Dix making the top 100 is validation for me when I said that, even in his worst season, Clinton-Dix was STILL among the top half of safeties in the game.  This isn't 2007 anymore.  Bob Sanders, Troy Polomalu, Ed Reed... You don't have those safeties in the league anymore.  The best safety in the league right now would probably be the fifth best 5-10 years ago.  For whatever reason, all the DB talent goes to CB/NB.  We saw this with Randall playing out of his best position for us. 

Teams just don't put their talented guys at safety anymore.  Fitzpatrick, James and Edmunds probably won't even play safety.  Fitzpatrick will be a slot guy, James will be slot and dimebacker, and Edmunds will probably be asked to do what Shazier did.  Then you gotta go to 54, 68, 82 and 93 for the next safeties. 

As far as Bakhtiari being 91, he missed 4 games, played injured in a couple more, Hundley didn't do him any favors, and the Packers sucked last year.  It's going to drop you down a lot on a list like this. 

Point is, terrible year and all, Clinton-Dix was still among the top half of safeties in the league.