Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Highly skeptical about a complete playbook overhaul as well. 

Partly because NFL teams have 80% the same playbooks across the league, and also because these guys may not be calling the same plays but they've run the same philosophies and have drafted players around those philosophies. 

Here's Joe Philbin talking about it shortly after he was hired :

“We all know we want to score more points,” Philbin said. “That’s one simple barometer. But how can we do that? Is it by adding more? Is it by cutting back what we’re doing? Is it by running more? Is it by throwing more? Is it more screens? More vertical shots?

“All those things are kind of up there for debate. That’s kind of the fun part. I said to the staff, ‘these next three months are huge. We’ve got to get everybody on the same page. We’ve got to be talking the same language.’ It’s a little bit different even since I was here. I’ve got some studying to do. … It’s time to go to work.”

18 hours ago, SSG said:

FYSA..... NFL network is currently replaying last year's GB/ Dallas game.

Have watched this a couple of times.  It brings up interesting points on Vogel and Jordy.

Vogel wasn't just our punter, he was our holder and in this game Crosby missed consecutive xtra point tries.  You all might remember that it was an issue early on before Hundley distracted us with his level of QB play. JK  Scott, I believe, is an experienced holder.

On Jordy- He didn't even get on the field for the winning TD drive.  Was it an injury?  The next game ARod went down with injury and Jordy kind of disappeared for the rest of the year.

One other question specific to this game.  After Randall's interception return for a TD, why did MM go for two leading 28-24?  If he just kicks the extra point we lead 29-24 and a FG wins it even if Dallas scores. There were still almost 10 minutes left in the game.  That's always bugged me.

Edited by Dubz41

25 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Have watched this a couple of times.  It brings up interesting points on Vogel and Jordy.

Vogel wasn't just our punter, he was our holder and in this game Crosby missed consecutive xtra point tries.  You all might remember that it was an issue early on before Hundley distracted us with his level of QB play. JK  Scott, I believe, is an experienced holder.

On Jordy- He didn't even get on the field for the winning TD drive.  Was it an injury?  The next game ARod went down with injury and Jordy kind of disappeared for the rest of the year.

One other question specific to this game.  After Randall's interception return for a TD, why did MM go for two leading 28-24?  If he just kicks the extra point we lead 29-24 and a FG wins it even if Dallas scores. There were still almost 10 minutes left in the game.  That's always bugged me.

Didn't you just answer your own question?  Crosby had missed two extra points.

if we went for one, Dallas would have gone for two to make it a three point game.  Going for two guaranteed us a win with a field goal.

Edited by HorizontoZenith

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

if we went for one, Dallas would have gone for two to make it a three point game.  Going for two guaranteed us a win with a field goal.

As I've said before, they drafted Scott because of poor holding skills by Vogel. Vogel can punt just fine, but he's butter fingers on holds. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

As I've said before, they drafted Scott because of poor holding skills by Vogel. Vogel can punt just fine, but he's butter fingers on holds. 

I think there's truth to this comment - plus - (I believe) they considered Scott a superior punter/athlete who can also kick FGs in a pinch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We would've stopped them on their two point.

Watched that Dallas game on the NFL network last night again also - what a great game to just sit and watch.  Martinez had a helluva game, as did our patch-work Oline (aside from a few sacks given up).  Ol’ Marty Bennett had himself a great game also (kinda weird watching actually).  Aaron Jones was phenomenal running the ball also.  Kept finding myself saying “God, I wish I could go back in real time to that game and warn Rodgers to look out for Barr in the next game”.  There was so much promise at that point in the season.  4-1 and really starting to click, only for it all to come crashing down a week later.  Sigh.

15 minutes ago, MathMan said:

im hoping we sign Dez Bryant for a 1 year deal 

do we have money for that?

Adams - Cobb - Bryant - Allison - Moore - Davis

with graham as TE.  Looks right to me.

I dont know. I say this not having seen a single snap of the 2018 Preseason - but if signing Dez means we lose either EQ or MVS to another team - I'm against it.

Probably sounds stupid - and might in fact be stupid (certainly at this juncture) - but I want to keep that "block" of talent together for our future.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I seriously still need to contact this guy and show him how to make his clips that don't look like they were designed for dial up

You're telling me you don't like video clips that were taken by pointing a cell phone video recorder at a TV?

• Like 1