Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

22 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Meh, it's way too early to even speculate whether Gute's first off-season will pay dividends. So far, I'm okay with it, but it hasn't exactly been a revelation or very different even from TT's typical off-season, which is somewhat disappointing. Still about four months between now and the start of the season, and hopefully Gute intends on continuing to improve the roster. 

Few points: 

1. The Jordy situation is a debacle as of right now: When Gute cut Jordy I was fully behind it. Guy is 32 years old, looked 45 when Hundley was playing QB and was basically a red-zone guy at this point of his career. That being said, Jordy was still a savy veteran, liked by Rodgers, and it appears he would have been willing to play another year here for cents on the dollar. As such, when Gute made the move I liked it because I assumed it was made with the guarantee that we would be upgrading at the WR position. To date, that has not happened. Instead, we drafted three guys on Day 3 of the draft and we'll cross our fingers that one of them can contribute early on in the season. Good luck because it doesn't happen very often. To me, letting Jordy go without a real effort to retain him on a cheap deal is downright dumb unless we plan to replace him, even on a 1 year basis. Still plenty of time to add another WR and let's hope Gute does so.   This is like complaining your horse isn't winning with five furlongs to go. You are not at the winning post, so the result is not yet determined. A vet WR is still possible.

2. The Fuller deal: Not Gute's finest moment. There were plenty of good CBs in FA this year and the only one we reportedly offered a big contract to was the one guy we had a 5% chance to sign, Kyle Fuller. Basically, we negotiated the Bears' deal for Fuller for them. Amateur hour for Gute on that one. On the one plus side, at least Gute was willing to take a shot a big-name FA and show that he's not afraid to throw a big contract at a player -- that makes me feel better about him going forward. Forget the talk about Gute having negotiated the Bears deal for them, and look at it in the simplest way. You like a player, you put together the best deal you can to tempt him, and see how it all falls out. Straightforward.

3. No EDGE defender: This is a problem and I'm not buying the bologna that simply relying on Biegel, Gilbert and Fackrell behind Perry/Matthews is going to be good enough. I'm already reading the news articles about "Pettine's going to have manufacture pressure" etc. We have ignored the EDGE position for years now and I fully expect we will struggle there again this year absent some type of move at the position. So far, Gute hasn't solved that problem and IMO hoping that Vince Biegel is the answer seems very cavalier. There was a need for 2x starter-level CBs, 1x starter-level WR, 1x starter-level coverage ILB, not to mention a high-level edge rusher or even a TE. Too much to get in one draft. CB, CB, ILB, WR, was not the way most fans would have drafted, but looking at what the Packers did, at least it makes sense. Pettine should be very satisfied. Whether you "buy the bologna" or not on edge rushers really doesn't matter, the Packers have decided to (mostly) forgo the OLB position this year, making it an even higher priority next year, along with (possibly) OT and possibly WR again, with a TE for good measure............2019 looks like it could well be a Packers offensive-heavy draft, for once.

I had a general feeling of discontent as I read this, so I critiqued it above.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

21 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Meh, it's way too early to even speculate whether Gute's first off-season will pay dividends. So far, I'm okay with it, but it hasn't exactly been a revelation or very different even from TT's typical off-season, which is somewhat disappointing. Still about four months between now and the start of the season, and hopefully Gute intends on continuing to improve the roster. 

Few points: 

1. The Jordy situation is a debacle as of right now: When Gute cut Jordy I was fully behind it. Guy is 32 years old, looked 45 when Hundley was playing QB and was basically a red-zone guy at this point of his career. That being said, Jordy was still a savy veteran, liked by Rodgers, and it appears he would have been willing to play another year here for cents on the dollar. As such, when Gute made the move I liked it because I assumed it was made with the guarantee that we would be upgrading at the WR position. To date, that has not happened. Instead, we drafted three guys on Day 3 of the draft and we'll cross our fingers that one of them can contribute early on in the season. Good luck because it doesn't happen very often. To me, letting Jordy go without a real effort to retain him on a cheap deal is downright dumb unless we plan to replace him, even on a 1 year basis. Still plenty of time to add another WR and let's hope Gute does so. 

2. The Fuller deal: Not Gute's finest moment. There were plenty of good CBs in FA this year and the only one we reportedly offered a big contract to was the one guy we had a 5% chance to sign, Kyle Fuller. Basically, we negotiated the Bears' deal for Fuller for them. Amateur hour for Gute on that one. On the one plus side, at least Gute was willing to take a shot a big-name FA and show that he's not afraid to throw a big contract at a player -- that makes me feel better about him going forward. 

3. No EDGE defender: This is a problem and I'm not buying the bologna that simply relying on Biegel, Gilbert and Fackrell behind Perry/Matthews is going to be good enough. I'm already reading the news articles about "Pettine's going to have manufacture pressure" etc. We have ignored the EDGE position for years now and I fully expect we will struggle there again this year absent some type of move at the position. So far, Gute hasn't solved that problem and IMO hoping that Vince Biegel is the answer seems very cavalier. 

On the flip side, I like the other moves Gute has made in FA, adding Graham, adding Wilkerson and adding depth to the CB position with Tramon/House. Safety position still worries me a bit because I'm not a Josh Jones guy (I think he's a better ILB than safety), but we'll see. Overall, I liked the draft as well, but it's way too early to grade Gute's draft right now. 

Here's hoping Gute has a few more moves in him this off-season to bolster the WR and EDGE position. If he does, I think we are right in the Super Bowl conversation this year. 

Serious props for being as critical of Brian as you were Ted. I feel like very few who were critical than have been. Consistency is nice.

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

You really like quotes

-Norm

More seriously. I'm not even agreeing with him but at least it's not giving one guy a pass that you'd crap on the other for doing the same thing (s)

Edited by NormSizedMidget

36 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I had a general feeling of discontent as I read this, so I critiqued it above.

Given your responses, I'm questioning whether you actually read my post but to each is own. Let me guess, Gute gets an A+ from you? Or do you think it's actually too early to judge, which is exactly what I said in the opening sentence...

23 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Few points: 

1. The Jordy situation is a debacle as of right now: When Gute cut Jordy I was fully behind it. Guy is 32 years old, looked 45 when Hundley was playing QB and was basically a red-zone guy at this point of his career. That being said, Jordy was still a savy veteran, liked by Rodgers, and it appears he would have been willing to play another year here for cents on the dollar. As such, when Gute made the move I liked it because I assumed it was made with the guarantee that we would be upgrading at the WR position. To date, that has not happened. Instead, we drafted three guys on Day 3 of the draft and we'll cross our fingers that one of them can contribute early on in the season. Good luck because it doesn't happen very often. To me, letting Jordy go without a real effort to retain him on a cheap deal is downright dumb unless we plan to replace him, even on a 1 year basis. Still plenty of time to add another WR and let's hope Gute does so. 

2. The Fuller deal: Not Gute's finest moment. There were plenty of good CBs in FA this year and the only one we reportedly offered a big contract to was the one guy we had a 5% chance to sign, Kyle Fuller. Basically, we negotiated the Bears' deal for Fuller for them. Amateur hour for Gute on that one. On the one plus side, at least Gute was willing to take a shot a big-name FA and show that he's not afraid to throw a big contract at a player -- that makes me feel better about him going forward. 

3. No EDGE defender: This is a problem and I'm not buying the bologna that simply relying on Biegel, Gilbert and Fackrell behind Perry/Matthews is going to be good enough. I'm already reading the news articles about "Pettine's going to have manufacture pressure" etc. We have ignored the EDGE position for years now and I fully expect we will struggle there again this year absent some type of move at the position. So far, Gute hasn't solved that problem and IMO hoping that Vince Biegel is the answer seems very cavalier. 

On the flip side, I like the other moves Gute has made in FA, adding Graham, adding Wilkerson and adding depth to the CB position with Tramon/House. Safety position still worries me a bit because I'm not a Josh Jones guy (I think he's a better ILB than safety), but we'll see. Overall, I liked the draft as well, but it's way too early to grade Gute's draft right now. 

Here's hoping Gute has a few more moves in him this off-season to bolster the WR and EDGE position. If he does, I think we are right in the Super Bowl conversation this year. 

1. I do think it goes both ways, Hundley basically only threw to Adams. Hundley probably didn't help Jordy with the way he played.

case and point --https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2017/11/07/91c4c776-b02d-40d6-b59d-48be4b4f6a08/thumbnail/770x433/e93a8c87d3dac20a83b0fddfb6fb4292/screen-shot-2017-11-06-at-5-53-56-pm.png

Though I'm torn on the release, I think Gute could have gave him a little more, this is basically his first down year since he's become a starting WR many years ago, hell the year before he had an amazing comeback year after tearing his ACL, could have gave him another chance with a little less money. On the other hand I think change is good, and maybe Gute wanted to have a different type of guy on the outside who was bigger and faster, drafting 3 big tall fast receivers while saving money.

2. The Fuller thing didn't bother me as much, the guy was probably gonna get paid either way. Only thing I thought was dumb was it was your rival the Bears whom you were dealing with.

3. Whole heartly agree, I think we could have at least grabbed an EDGE in the middle rounds, hopefully it wont nip us in the butt late. Though I do think having a good secondary will help our pass rush a ton.

I'll give Gute a B for the offseason, pretty much addressed everything except EDGE, hopefully at least one of the backups can be at least a serviceable pass rusher.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

50 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Given your responses, I'm questioning whether you actually read my post but to each is own. Let me guess, Gute gets an A+ from you? Or do you think it's actually too early to judge, which is exactly what I said in the opening sentence...

If i hadn't read your post, then I wouldn't have been dissatisfied. You did indeed say it was too early to judge...........then you judged.

I would never grade a draft this quickly, so no A+ here. I wanted a receiver in rounds 1-3, I wanted a pass rusher early, I wanted TE Andrews, who the Packers could have had if they had kept the first pick in round 4. I said before the draft I wanted a trade down in round one and a trade up in round 2 or three (which almost happened, just not how I envisaged it).

The most important thing though (to me), is that although the Packers were quite a way off my own script, when I reflected on what they DID do, it made sense.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Forgot who called seeing JK take #8 yesterday on the Packers website, but alas...here we are.

Not sure how I feel about giving up a proven commodity over a draft pick punter, atleast without a showdown. Been down that road before. Vogel wasn't other-wordly, but dependable.

Edited by Csraverage

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... Except the weasels.

Homer Simpson

• Like 2

On 5/3/2018 at 3:11 PM, packfanfb said:

Few points: 

1. The Jordy situation is a debacle as of right now: When Gute cut Jordy I was fully behind it. Guy is 32 years old, looked 45 when Hundley was playing QB and was basically a red-zone guy at this point of his career. That being said, Jordy was still a savy veteran, liked by Rodgers, and it appears he would have been willing to play another year here for cents on the dollar.

Wondering where you got that info since all the reports I read said refused to take a pay cut.

9 hours ago, Csraverage said:

Forgot who called seeing JK take #8 yesterday on the Packers website, but alas...here we are.

Not sure how I feel about giving up a proven commodity over a draft pick punter, atleast without a showdown. Been down that road before. Vogel wasn't other-wordly, but dependable.

Report is that Vogel asked to be released. Vogel wasn’t all that impressive. He was solid but can absolutely be improved on. We were just so used to utter trash at punter that the average play of Vogel looked very good.