Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

28 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Wonder if CLE was willing to deal him prior to the draft vs now after adding some rookies.

Packers went after Jordan Matthews (6'4) and Allen Robinson ( 6'3 ) in FA and drafted 3 tall WRs

Don't think they'd be very interested in a 5'11 guy.

Eagles signed Callahan. I know backups in this leage bounce around all the time. How much intel on their previous teams do they take with them? Like I know a team is going to change audibles and terminology throughout the season. Are offenses similar enough at this level that it just doesn’t make a huge difference to have a team’s old QB in the film room saying “GB always watches for opposing CBs to do XYZ” or things like that? Is all their intel basically just stuff you’d get from film study anyway?

24 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Packers went after Jordan Matthews (6'4) and Allen Robinson ( 6'3 ) in FA and drafted 3 tall WRs

Don't think they'd be very interested in a 5'11 guy.

GB was also...reportedly ....after Sammy Watkins (6'1").   If Coleman would fill a role as a slot option after Cobb's departure, with a possibility to play on the outside, why not inquire...unless GB just does not like Coleman as a prospect.

14 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Eagles signed Callahan. I know backups in this leage bounce around all the time. How much intel on their previous teams do they take with them? Like I know a team is going to change audibles and terminology throughout the season. Are offenses similar enough at this level that it just doesn’t make a huge difference to have a team’s old QB in the film room saying “GB always watches for opposing CBs to do XYZ” or things like that? Is all their intel basically just stuff you’d get from film study anyway?

When Philbin and McCarthy are starting a whole new playbook, it means nothing for us.  If you're asking generally speaking, Belichick does this all the time, so it must help somewhat. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

When Philbin and McCarthy are starting a whole new playbook, it means nothing for us.

Is it bad I don't buy this line from them lol. I expect it to look pretty similar. I pray I'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I pray I'm wrong.

You're prayers have been answered a thousand times Norm. :)

How about praying for another Title given your obvious sway with the Big Guy upstairs ?

MM did mention one comment on the new playbook- he said because GB was always playing late into January, they didn't have as much time to do these types of full resets, but because the 2017 season was over sooner- it opened up additional time.

But we all know the real reason for the playbook reset was that the **** MBennett went back to NE after learning the Packers plays and tendencies. He reported back to Sauron in Mordor and that was the end of that....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

You're prayers have been answered a thousand times Norm. :)

How about praying for another Title given your obvious sway with the Big Guy upstairs ?

MM did mention one comment on the new playbook- he said because GB was always playing late into January, they didn't have as much time to do these types of full resets, but because the 2017 season was over sooner- it opened up additional time.

But we all know the real reason for the playbook reset was that the **** MBennett went back to NE after learning the Packers plays and tendencies. He reported back to Sauron in Mordor and that was the end of that....

Lol great post.

But seriously, I hadn't heard the line about playing longer, that actually chances my stance somewhat since there's some logic behind that and it sounds like an actual thing and not just yeah we're gonna change it up this time. 

I'm not trying to beat up Aaron but I hope he's on board. Sometimes I really wonder how much he controls what we do. Like not using backs in the pass game much, I've always thought that was a lot him. But I know Mike gets some blame there quite often. That kind of thing.

Edited by NormSizedMidget

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Sometimes I really wonder how much he controls what we do. Like not using backs in the pass game much, I've always thought that was a lot him. But I know Mike gets some blame there quite often. That kind of thing.

Yeah, AR is the Final Decider, but fans would rather rip on MM. Those two really are quite the couple. Pittsburgh Tough and California Cool. One is blunt force trauma the other more Cerebral. Both super competitive

AR wants to face a single high safety, but few DCs are willing to oblige. The typical way to get teams off of the Cover-2 is to run them out of it with RBs or to hit em up the seam with a TE like Graham/Cook. We'll see what Philbin has in store and what new wrinkles are added. One blogger raved about what Philbin did for the slot WRs, we'll see if Cobb has a big year.  Packers have 2 RBs with solid pass catching capabilities in Jones and Monty, maybe we see more of that in 2018

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Yeah, AR is the Final Decider, but fans would rather rip on MM. Those two really are quite the couple. Pittsburgh Tough and California Cool. One is blunt force trauma the other more Cerebral. Both super competitive

AR wants to face a single high safety, but few DCs are willing to oblige. The typical way to get teams off of the Cover-2 is to run them out of it with RBs or to hit em up the seam with a TE like Graham/Cook. We'll see what Philbin has in store and what new wrinkles are added. One blogger raved about what Philbin did for the slot WRs, we'll see if Cobb has a big year.  Packers have 2 RBs with solid pass catching capabilities in Jones and Monty, maybe we see more of that in 2018

And I totally understand ripping Mike over Aaron. Aaron is the best QB I've ever seen. It's hard to pick on him when you believe that. Even those the best at their craft can improve though. I'm cautiously optimistic this season. More than most years, but there are plenty of things to be intrigued over, even if we have some obvious flaws too.

Highly skeptical about a complete playbook overhaul as well. 

Partly because NFL teams have 80% the same playbooks across the league, and also because these guys may not be calling the same plays but they've run the same philosophies and have drafted players around those philosophies.