We Did it!! DARNOLD DECLARES FOR the DRAFT!!!

Mind Character

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

Darnold has some core characteristics that are similar enough to Pat Mahomes that it makes me feel more confident that Dorsey would love him. A funky set of mechanics that cause him to be able to make both amazing and errant throws, flair for the splash play, big, tough, and clearly a very good natural athlete.

Mahomes has the baseball background and sometimes looks like a giant pitcher of a QB. Darnold has the basketball background and sometimes looks like a giant point guard.

Very true. Really good points.

I think the thing that I missed with Mahomes in that I didn't think he'd go top 15 despite really liking him was that he just has the natural ability to throw the ball. Doesn't matter that his feet are off or that his body mechanics should make a certain throw impossible or guaranteed inaccurate..the ball still goes where it's intended and it gets there in a hurry.

Like Mahomes they both have unbelievable touch throw ability as well. There are so many throws where Darnold's feet are so bad it should be a wild uncontrolled throw; however, the ball ends up being pinpoint accurate right in front of the helmet away from the defender. He does not look like a QB but he just has natural gifts and ability.

I hope he can learn to improve his mechanics and particularly the release, sitting for a year or so. 

Above all else, it is the thing that scares me the most about him. We need to shorten it or it might manifest itself as ball security issues and giving pro DBs a jump on where the ball is going.

36 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I hope he can learn to improve his mechanics and particularly the release, sitting for a year or so. 

Above all else, it is the thing that scares me the most about him. We need to shorten it or it might manifest itself as ball security issues and giving pro DBs a jump on where the ball is going.

His delivery is long, but it’s not slow.

It’s really unique to see imo, it’s like the video feed is at 1.5x when he winds up.

I don’t care about that as much tbh. Whatever benefits a defense can gain from a an having a longer delivery are pretty easily negated when the QB can sling the ball all over the field like he can.

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s really unique to see imo, it’s like the video feed is at 1.5x when he winds up.

I don’t care about that as much tbh. Whatever benefits a defense can gain from a an having a longer delivery are pretty easily negated when the QB can sling the ball all over the field like he can.

I agree with that completely. It's a pretty funky and long release, but at least it's explosive. Bit of an oxymoron but I see it too.

If he can tighten it up though and stop dropping the ball low first, it opens up his potential even more.

That he is as exciting and effective as he is, working with little more than high school mechanics, is a good thing. It means he has so much room to grow with top level coaching.

That's where Hue jumps in to ruin it.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

It’s the one thing that is swing me back to the Rosen bandwagon. Dude will come in with amazing machanics and throwing motion. You can spend time improving other aspects of his game instead of those two things

38 minutes ago, buno67 said:

It’s the one thing that is swing me back to the Rosen bandwagon. Dude will come in with amazing machanics and throwing motion. You can spend time improving other aspects of his game instead of those two things

You can't teach toughness and ithink Sam is tougher than Rosen. 

Also I think Sam is better under duress. 

I like those qualities. 

48 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Rosen is a wonderful prospect. Perfect mechanics like you say, can make any throw. Knows how to read defenses.

What bothers me about him in Cleveland (besides him supposedly not wanting to play here) is kind of what Kiwi said... I actually think he's tough and hangs in there to try and make the throw, but it's his body. I just can easily envision him being broken by the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals. Concussions, rotator cuff problems, lost seasons.

That and those Redzone efficiency stats that were posted about him earlier. Wow I did not expect them to be that bad.

Meanwhile Darnold is very good in the redzone, is clutch, and is built like a brick ****house whilst being more athletic to boot.

He feels like what a Cleveland Browns QB should be.

Hear me out on this, but Darnold's ball is so similar to Peyton Manning's it's crazy. Neither of them have the greatest arm and sometimes their throws have a tendency to waft through the air, but high IQ plays always gets the ball there. I think Darnold could be really special, but it's going to come down to keeping Hue away from him. If we're running streaks every other play Darnold is going to crack. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agree with that completely. It's a pretty funky and long release, but at least it's explosive. Bit of an oxymoron but I see it too.

If he can tighten it up though and stop dropping the ball low first, it opens up his potential even more.

That he is as exciting and effective as he is, working with little more than high school mechanics, is a good thing. It means he has so much room to grow with top level coaching.

That's where Hue jumps in to ruin it.

I'm not overly concerned with Darnolds delivery only because there are QB's in the NFL now that throw the ball at so many different angles.   I still smirk and shake my head every time I see Philip Rivers make a pass.  Bernie used to have a funky throwing motion and he did just fine in the NFL.

Peace!!!

12 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Hear me out on this, but Darnold's ball is so similar to Peyton Manning's it's crazy. Neither of them have the greatest arm and sometimes their throws have a tendency to waft through the air, but high IQ plays always gets the ball there. I think Darnold could be really special, but it's going to come down to keeping Hue away from him. If we're running streaks every other play Darnold is going to crack. 

His deep ball accuracy is good enough to make Hue’s nonsense work.

I also think he has the ability to make the reads and these guys open that Kizer lacked.

Hue’s offense CAN be effective, it just was a bad fit with Kizer imo.

We can't screw this up, right? We've gotta be taking Darnold first. Rosen would have been a very good consolation prize, but I prefer Darnold.

Now it's just a matter of time until the media starts reporting that Cleveland really wants someone like Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson at #1 instead.¬¬

It seems as though the vast majority are now on board with the Sam Darnold/Saquan Barkley combo I have been wanted all year. Even letsgo is having a party in his pants about Darnold right now less than a week after telling me how uncool it was to to hang on the nuts of the best prospects all year.

As long as we take Rosen or Darnold #1 I'll be really happy - some great points already brought up here about each one's strengths, weaknesses, and potential. Time for Dorsey to man up and pull the trigger on the one he likes best - and Hue's input/system shouldn't factor into the decision too much, because he's a lame duck.

21 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

It seems as though the vast majority are now on board with the Sam Darnold/Saquan Barkley combo I have been wanted all year. Even letsgo is having a party in his pants about Darnold right now less than a week after telling me how uncool it was to to hang on the nuts of the best prospects all year.

I’ve always wanted my very own hater.

It’s nice to know that you hang on every post I make while I have to remind myself who the hell you even are.

Don't ever change.

Oh, and feel free to tag me in your posts if you want to mention me so I don’t miss any of your bitterness.

Rosen is a wonderful prospect. Perfect mechanics like you say, can make any throw. Knows how to read defenses.

What bothers me about him in Cleveland (besides him supposedly not wanting to play here) is kind of what Kiwi said... I actually think he's tough and hangs in there to try and make the throw, but it's his body. I just can easily envision him being broken by the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals. Concussions, rotator cuff problems, lost seasons.

That and those Redzone efficiency stats that were posted about him earlier. Wow I did not expect them to be that bad.

Meanwhile Darnold is very good in the redzone, is clutch, and is built like a brick ****house whilst being more athletic to boot.

He feels like what a Cleveland Browns QB should be.

To me Rosen’s red zone issues is up there with Kizer. I don’t think there was enough talent around them. So when push came to shove, they were forcing the issue. If USC didn’t have the RB they had, I think Donald’s red zone turnover increases when more pressure is on him and defenses aren’t worried about the run. 

I am also losing interest in that idea of we play in the afc north and it’s the only division with big physical defenses. Pitt was a top5 defense but Ravens and Cindy were bottom 6 with cincy being dead last. 

Rosen isn’t small, so I think he is going to be just fine. 6’3 215 is perfect now if he was closer to 200 it be another issue

Archived