Week 18: Bills @ Jags

gopherwrestler

I love Tony Romo so much.  I swear to God, not even half the PLAYERS in the league know that rule that he just referenced.  If the punting team is the first to touch the ball, the punt returning team can attempt to return it with LITERALLY zero consequences.  They can ALWAYS take the ball at the first point the punting team touched it.  They could pick it up and return it 99 yards, fumble it, have the punting team recover, and they would STILL maintain possession of the ball. 

I don't know why more teams don't specifically plan for this play.  They could pick it up and keep lateraling it because it's literally a free play. 

1 minute ago, Dodo said:

I've seen about four of Buffalo's games this season and Tolbert has about three bad plays for every good one. Really question why he gets the ball as often as he does 

He's the worst Bills player I've ever seen. Seriously. I'm not exaggerating. 

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

........is that accurate? If a player on the kicking team touches the punt first, you can't fumble as the return team? That doesn't sound right 

Yes.  Look at what I just said above.  It is a real rule, and nobody knows it. 

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

Philly's offense without Foles and Peters is probably on the same level as the teams you mentioned. Plus Buffalo's offense has been good enough to get the ball down field.

That kind of makes my point for me though.  If they stick to the gameplan that the Jets and Bills used (run heavy, pepper with mid-range passes, and don't turn the ball over), they can still capably move the ball against Atlanta's defense even with Foles and without Peters.

2 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

........is that accurate? If a player on the kicking team touches the punt first, you can't fumble as the return team? That doesn't sound right 

Yep, it's basically like offsides on the defense. Free play.

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I love Tony Romo so much.  I swear to God, not even half the PLAYERS in the league know that rule that he just referenced.  If the punting team is the first to touch the ball, the punt returning team can attempt to return it with LITERALLY zero consequences.  They can ALWAYS take the ball at the first point the punting team touched it.  They could pick it up and return it 99 yards, fumble it, have the punting team recover, and they would STILL maintain possession of the ball. 

I don't know why more teams don't specifically plan for this play.  They could pick it up and keep lateraling it because it's literally a free play. 

So much this. I feel like my wife and I are the only ones who know this rule. 

You know who knew this rule and knew it to a T? Ed Reed!

Archived