Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

I'm all in on a 1st this year and a 3rd next year to get this done. Some may say that isn't enough but I think you'd be surprised. We absolutely have the future cap space necessary in order to lock him, Donald, Peters and Gurley up long term over the next 3 years. Goff after that as well if they structure the deals properly (which Demoff seems to do constantly). With the caveat we sign him to a long term deal, I want this done.

24 minutes ago, JonStark said:

There is no way they would take just #23, it would have to be more. They probably want some sort of starter back or future picks.

Honestly, with the way our team looks right now, I'm not sure I would even do #23. He's the type of personality that I worry about in the locker room. Even if that isn't an issue, there's the fact that he said he won't be playing without a new contract and may still face discipline from the league for Pizza-gate. We already made massive moves this offseason to put us in contender territory. Just take the best EDGE at #23, keep everything else in tact, and reap the benefits come September.

I’ll keep saying this, if Snead/McVay are calling because they are interested they have and are doing their homework well enough to know the situation with OBJ and is comfortable getting him. Again remember when Fisher said the Rams would’ve drafted OBJ had he fell to them in the same draft they took Donald a spot or two after OBJ was selected by the Giants. Plus OBJ being in the same locker room as his former LSU teammate Brockers would be good for him. He would not only have people in the organization that he can respect and relate to but have a familiar face too. Brotherhood from LSU that still sticks together. Trust me when it comes to LSU I know that program sticks together no matter what. Just look at what happened when the Cards took Mathieu and the risk they took? Peterson was on that team and he helped Mathieu and that made Mathieu a better person in general in the NFL. Both guys were from LSU.

With that said as I mentioned the EDGE is being overblown. In Wade scheme the EDGE turns into an inside linebacker. The DL accounted for 48% of the Rams sacks last season and they were 4th in the NFL in sacks. Brockers, Donald, and Westbrooks (the starting DL) had a total of 19.5 sacks. Once you add Walker and Fox (back up DL) that’s 23 sacks. Now you add Suh and getting Easley back that number should go up. The Rams don’t need, if they don’t want too, to invest the 23rd pick on a EDGE rusher because again most of the sacks are going to come from the DL in Wade scheme. They can find linebackers in the 4th round or later to fit the 3-4 scheme and do the job to help fit in with the talent around them on defense. So yeah I’d totally give up the 23rd pick plus a 3rd round pick for OBJ. The Rams will have over 100m in cap space after this upcoming season to sort everything out. So it’s not an issue as you might think. 

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Or I can call it a group of incomplete receivers. Who have done nothing but under preform, some who shoot their mouths off, and others who have extra-curricular issues that I dont trust to stay on the field.

Ill take the better offensive system, that utilizes more balanced WRs, even if they are unspectacular to some

To be fair, I think Keelan Cole is very capable of being what Les though he was getting with Cooper and Thomas - or a poor man's version of what Les thought he was getting (or what Fisher convinced him he was getting) in Tavon.  He's not a major long-speed guy but he gets still manages to get separate and create more of it on deeper routes.  I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at him.

What may be fortunate for us is that he looks like he's being pushed further and further down their pecking order (Bortles certainly started looking his way less once Hurns and Lee were healthy, and given the money they're paying Moncrief even on a 1-year deal, you have to expect that he'll get first chance at Hurns' snaps over Cole as long as he stays healthy), so he might come available.

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I’ll keep saying this, if Snead/McVay are calling because they are interested they have and are doing their homework well enough to know the situation with OBJ and is comfortable getting him. Again remember when Fisher said the Rams would’ve drafted OBJ had he fell to them in the same draft they took Donald a spot or two after OBJ was selected by the Giants. Plus OBJ being in the same locker room as his former LSU teammate Brockers would be good for him. He would not only have people in the organization that he can respect and relate to but have a familiar face too. Brotherhood from LSU that still sticks together. Trust me when it comes to LSU I know that program sticks together no matter what. Just look at what happened when the Cards took Mathieu and the risk they took? Peterson was on that team and he helped Mathieu and that made Mathieu a better person in general in the NFL. Both guys were from LSU.

With that said as I mentioned the EDGE is being overblown. In Wade scheme the EDGE turns into an inside linebacker. The DL accounted for 48% of the Rams sacks last season and they were 4th in the NFL in sacks. Brockers, Donald, and Westbrooks (the starting DL) had a total of 19.5 sacks. Once you add Walker and Fox (back up DL) that’s 23 sacks. Now you add Suh and getting Easley back that number should go up. The Rams don’t need, if they don’t want too, to invest the 23rd pick on a EDGE rusher because again most of the sacks are going to come from the DL in Wade scheme. They can find linebackers in the 4th round or later to fit the 3-4 scheme and do the job to help fit in with the talent around them on defense. So yeah I’d totally give up the 23rd pick plus a 3rd round pick for OBJ. The Rams will have over 100m in cap space after this upcoming season to sort everything out. So it’s not an issue as you might think. 

1 EDGE player plays more of an off-ball linebacker role (they're still sent on blitzes and rushed from time to time), but 1 EDGE player is also sent as a weakside pass-rusher from the 7-Tech or 9-Tech on the regular.  Note: That's why @jrry32 has been so zeroed in on guys who can run the arc, because those are the guys who can come in and be schemed to success more immediatel in that 7T/9T role (it's basically a LEO in that respect or Elephant backer).

Just clarifying.

Rapoport tweeted that Rams offered 23 and Giants are listening, but it will take more. I would go 23, next years 3rd, and Tavon. But if we get Beckham this offseason would go down in history (atleast on paper). Snead and McVay aren't playing around while Goff is on rookie deal. We have ALOT of cap space the next two years so if we hit on late round rookies and turn them into eventual starters while also paying Goff, Gurley, Peters, Donald, and Beckham, we are talking about a dynasty. And if we do win multiple championships, Veteran FA's will sign for cheap alleviating cap space. Also, if we win multiple rings, the LA market will eat up football again that will bring with it endorsement deals for top players to compensate for lack of max contracts available to offer. This is all extremely wishful thinking, but it is all in the realm of possibility.

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Rapoport tweeted that Rams offered 23 and Giants are listening, but it will take more. I would go 23, next years 3rd, and Tavon. But if we get Beckham this offseason would go down in history (atleast on paper). Snead and McVay aren't playing around while Goff is on rookie deal. We have ALOT of cap space the next two years so if we hit on late round rookies and turn them into eventual starters while also paying Goff, Gurley, Peters, Donald, and Beckham, we are talking about a dynasty. And if we do win multiple championships, Veteran FA's will sign for cheap alleviating cap space. Also, if we win multiple rings, the LA market will eat up football again that will bring with it endorsement deals for top players to compensate for lack of max contracts available to offer. This is all extremely wishful thinking, but it is all in the realm of possibility.

Wishful thinking sometimes turns to reality, let's keep it up :D

So, the Rams offered NYG #23 for OBJ (rumor has it)??? ...........and to think I was absolutely CREAMED in here a week ago for mentioning the notion of an early round pick being spent on a WR?? Tune has changed quite a bit on that topic since then, eh?

Ok, Ok,  lets all take a step back here. And Im not talking about just the rumor we have offered #23 for OBJ, but I really talking about this "$100m in cap space next year" that all of you are spouting about all across this website.

First things first, that only cover 35 rostered players. 7-8 of which are not even locks to make THIS team much less the 2019 roster, with another handful that will be here this year and probably not next. 

Lets also realize that number DOES NOT include the 5th year options for either Todd Gurley or Marcus Peters (thats probably $15+m right there)

That does not include what we will be paying Aaron Donald (there is another $20m)

That also does not include 4 or more RFAs (Littleton, Fox, Countess, Hill) that we will likely be looking to retain (another $6-8m)

And we havent factored in Year 2 of contracts for the Draft picks we will have coming up. (even if we send #23 for OBJ, thats still like $3-5m)

Just right there, adjusting for the guys we basically KNOW that will be on that roster as well, thats $45m coming out of that number. And we are suddenly down the $55m in cap space.

And we will only have 2 Starting Offensive Lineman, (Havenstien, Brown & Saffold are Free Agents), We wont have a NT, another #1 WR hitting free Agency, no Elite Edge Rushers, and we still dont have Lamarcus Joyner signed long term.

Remember I was the one telling you all that we could keep all the guys we wanted leaving last year, but this is much more of a dire situation we would put ourselves in, especially without a 2nd or a 3rd (potentially) next year. That would leave us with only 2 first rounders in the past four drafts and even worse (assuming we get the 2 comp picks for this year) only 8 Top 100 picks in the past four drafts. You cannot sustain a team like that.

10 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

So, the Rams offered NYG #23 for OBJ (rumor has it)??? ...........and to think I was absolutely CREAMED in here a week ago for mentioning the notion of an early round pick being spent on a WR?? Tune has changed quite a bit on that topic since then, eh?

You really need to chill, because that is not at all what happened, not what you said nor now even remotely the same situation.

38 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Sorry I think I'm missing something. What does Jeff Fisher wanting to draft OBJ have anything to do with our current coaching staff?

I think the LSU connection could be real, but PP and Mathieu played on the same side of the ball and both in the secondary none the less. Brockers and OBJ no doubt would relate to each other, but the amount of time they spend together wouldn't be near as much. Also, Mathieu looked to have already put his past behind him by draft time. OBJ is still making headlines and no one knows if he'll actually mature or not. He very well could, but I'm not sure I want to pay a king's ransom in trade value and then shell out a HUGE contract to find out.

I agree that they don't NEED to invest in an EDGE at #23, however I think it would add a whole nother element to the beast of a defense we already have. Landry or Davenport (with Wade's coaching) would be unstoppable on this team.

The Rams have 100m in cap after this season, but what happens once we extend Donald. And then need money for Peters, and Gurley, and most importantly, Goff? OBJ isn't going to want a 2-3 year deal, he's going to want a long term deal and big bucks, and with his injury history (soft tissue none the less), on the field outbursts, and off the field concerns, I don't think shelling out a massive contract to bring him here is a great idea. I trust Mcvay and Snead right now, so if we did the 1st and 3rd I could make peace with it, but please no more than that.

44 minutes ago, The LBC said:

1 EDGE player plays more of an off-ball linebacker role (they're still sent on blitzes and rushed from time to time), but 1 EDGE player is also sent as a weakside pass-rusher from the 7-Tech or 9-Tech on the regular.  Note: That's why @jrry32 has been so zeroed in on guys who can run the arc, because those are the guys who can come in and be schemed to success more immediatel in that 7T/9T role (it's basically a LEO in that respect or Elephant backer).

Just clarifying.

I’m just quoting what DeMarcus Ware stared unless I misunderstood. But I don’t mind at all if the Rams went EDGE in the first round, I’m just saying if they choose to go OL or trade the pick for OBJ then use later round picks on linebackers then I wouldn’t be shocked because Wade knows what he wants in his scheme.

8 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Sorry I think I'm missing something. What does Jeff Fisher wanting to draft OBJ have anything to do with our current coaching staff?

I think the LSU connection could be real, but PP and Mathieu played on the same side of the ball and both in the secondary none the less. Brockers and OBJ no doubt would relate to each other, but the amount of time they spend together wouldn't be near as much. Also, Mathieu looked to have already put his past behind him by draft time. OBJ is still making headlines and no one knows if he'll actually mature or not. He very well could, but I'm not sure I want to pay a king's ransom in trade value and then shell out a HUGE contract to find out.

I agree that they don't NEED to invest in an EDGE at #23, however I think it would add a whole nother element to the beast of a defense we already have. Landry or Davenport (with Wade's coaching) would be unstoppable on this team.

The Rams have 100m in cap after this season, but what happens once we extend Donald. And then need money for Peters, and Gurley, and most importantly, Goff? OBJ isn't going to want a 2-3 year deal, he's going to want a long term deal and big bucks, and with his injury history (soft tissue none the less), on the field outbursts, and off the field concerns, I don't think shelling out a massive contract to bring him here is a great idea. I trust Mcvay and Snead right now, so if we did the 1st and 3rd I could make peace with it, but please no more than that.

I mentioned that with Fisher because Snead was the GM too. We have no idea if Snead wanted OBJ too had he fallen to the Rams. Also with the LSU connection, it’s a brotherhood no matter what side of the ball it’s on. Trust me I know. As for cap, the Rams are very strategic that they know ahead of time situations. They wouldn’t even be thinking about being interested in OBJ if they had major concerns with him as a player/person or how it would effect the team in terms of its long term plans. So when I hear about the Rams being interested in OBJ, I’m not thinking it’s an epic fail waiting to happen. I’m thinking Snead/McVay must know what they are doing or else they wouldn’t even waste their time calling and offering assets to the Giants.

40 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You really need to chill, because that is not at all what happened, not what you said nor now even remotely the same situation.

Pretty darn close. I mentioned spending a 1st (or 1 of 3 picks) on a WR and majority lost their **** over it. The argument was we needed to address other needs and it was basically a stupid move. I was confident in this.....now look at how the tune has changed since its "OBJ", lol. I'm chill....100% chill...just find it funny is all. Cheers! Go Rams

Giving up 1st for OBJ is still giving up a 1st for a WR (not a need according to most)

23 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

Pretty darn close. I mentioned spending a 1st (or 1 of 3 picks) on a WR and majority lost their **** over it. The argument was we needed to address other needs and it was basically a stupid move. I was confident in this.....now look at how the tune has changed since its "OBJ", lol. I'm chill....100% chill...just find it funny is all. Cheers! Go Rams

Giving up 1st for OBJ is still giving up a 1st for a WR (not a need according to most)

No.  It's not pretty darn close.  It might be in your mind where you can selectively ignore details of posts that were made, but it's not in touch with reality.

No one said that WR wasn't a need.  A number of us said that WR depth wasn't so pressing a need as to necessitate spending a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on a position that doesn't contribute as immediately as others.  There is a substantial difference between Odell Beckham Jr. and rookie WR's, much less any rookie receiver from this class.  What you're making is a false analogy.  And the sad part is, I think you know you're making a disassociation and don't care because it allows you to thump your chest and steer attention towards yourself.  Kind of like how you accused me of not letting things go and getting my panties in a twist, when you were the one who went out of your way to tag me in a post.

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

F it, if we can get him for not much more than 23, do it. But please re-sign him and Donald.

Archived