Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

Packers knew what they had in Gute. He's been with them for 20 years. Yet they seeked to interview 4 other guys from other teams. If he was such a slam dunk, he would've been hired right away. Had they been given permission to interview those other 4 guys, I guarantee you Gute would not have gotten the job. Again, this isn't that hard.  xD

2 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Packers knew what they had in Gute. He's been with them for 20 years. Yet they seeked to interview 4 other guys from other teams. If he was such a slam dunk, he would've been hired right away. Had they been given permission to interview those other 4 guys, I guarantee you Gute would not have gotten the job. Again, this isn't that hard.  xD

yep, just like the first team in the draft only interviews one prospect.

nailed it.

Just now, Slinky said:

Holy cow, you still don't understand what we're saying?  We're saying the Packers did their due diligence.  They attempted to inteview two FORMER Packers personnel, and their teams blocked their interviews.  If the shoe was on the other foot, wouldn't you want the Packers to block them?  They were never really viable options despite opinion otherwise.  They wanted to interview DeCosta since he's viewed as one of the best GM candidates in the league.  DeCosta turned down the interview, likely because he'll take over for Ozzie Newsome sooner rather than later.  Doesn't mean that he was their 4th choice, it meant the Packers wanted to leave no stone unturned.  If the Packers only interviewed Gute, Wolf, and Ball, yo'd be here complaining that the Packers didn't try their hardest to find the best possible GM.

1 minute ago, Slinky said:

Of course they knew what they had. As anyone who knows anything should know, you interview to find out if someone absolutely blows you away. How many times have we heard that ? We reached out to guys familiar with Green Bay and guys who we thought would be a good fit. It didn't happen. Who cares ? The result would have likely been the same if the sources are correct

3 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

I have no reason to think positively or negatively about this guy. As a TT fan, I like that we went with someone straight off the tree here. I only really am familiar with him from his draft press conferences. 

Here's a few - it'd be grasping at straws to try and conclude anything about the hire from these, but just for interest/familiarity purposes. 

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Gutekunst-on-pick-No-61-S-Josh-Jones/b0da6513-4b24-4e11-92a7-fee10e2736ee

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Gutekunst-on-Spriggs-His-athleticism-stands-out/5e32d848-0f51-428d-87a6-51765ab9a47e

It'll be interesting to see how it all works out because I'm excited about the hire because I'm an anti-TT guy. I see BG as a Wolf guy, not a TT guy. Maybe he'll fall somewhere in the middle and be a decent drafter but also much more aggressive in FA/trades. Maybe I'll be wrong but if you were to put these guys on a spectrum in terms of using non-draft roster building options, I'd imagine something like:

Ron Wolf 

Elliot Wolf

BG

-

-

-

-

-

Ball

TT

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

yep, just like the first team in the draft only interviews one prospect.

nailed it.

The team with the 1st pick in the draft worked with the draftees for 20 years? They knew all about all the candidates already?

Great comparison. Nailed it. 

They started the search on Tuesday, interviewed at least 4 candidates, and hired Gutekunst less than 5 days after Thompson was moved, ON A SUNDAY.

This, with him on a plane to Houston.  He was, obviously, far and away, their top candidate.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Holy cow, you still don't understand what we're saying?  We're saying the Packers did their due diligence.  They attempted to inteview two FORMER Packers personnel, and their teams blocked their interviews.  If the shoe was on the other foot, wouldn't you want the Packers to block them?  They were never really viable options despite opinion otherwise.  They wanted to interview DeCosta since he's viewed as one of the best GM candidates in the league.  DeCosta turned down the interview, likely because he'll take over for Ozzie Newsome sooner rather than later.  Doesn't mean that he was their 4th choice, it meant the Packers wanted to leave no stone unturned.  If the Packers only interviewed Gute, Wolf, and Ball, yo'd be here complaining that the Packers didn't try their hardest to find the best possible GM.

Holy man are you missing the point here. 

7 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Do you not know how long GM candidates work in the league before getting their opportunity to run a club?

12 minutes ago, Slinky said:

If Gute was for sure their guy,  HOW DID THEY LET HIM FLY ALL THE WAY TO HOUSTON TO INTERVIEW WITH THE TEXANS BEFORE THEY DECIDED TO OFFER HIM THE JOB? Explain that. This isn't that hard. 

Haha should they have delayed the flight? How do you know Murphy didnt call him amd let him know where he stands. I was leaning towards Gute***** because he took himself out of SF GM job last. He may have been given an indication that he was next in line. Just speculation though.

Just now, deltarich87 said:

Do you not know how long GM candidates work in the league before getting their opportunity to run a club?

Huh? That wasn't the point I was making. I'm saying he's been with Green Bay for 20 years, so they already know what they're getting with him. If they were THAT impressed with him, why reach out to 4...5...6 other candidates? 

2 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Holy man are you missing the point here. 

No, you’re just being incredibly obtuse and continually moving the goal post. 

It’s expected and good to seek as many qualified candidates as possible. I interviewed 30 people this past week for a position at work. Hired the guy who was near the end. Guess he wasn’t my top choice either. 

You don’t have any proof to back your claim other than baseless opinions. Bring one piece of evidence to support you assertion. 

Archived