Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

3 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Huh? That wasn't the point I was making. I'm saying he's been with Green Bay for 20 years, so they already know what they're getting with him. If they were THAT impressed with him, why reach out to 4...5...6 other candidates? 

because it's called a job search.

Say you've driven Toyotas for the last 20 years and you go to buy a new car. You know you want another Toyota but you decide to test drive other cars first and it confirms you prefer the Toyota. Then you see someone else looking at the last Toyota on the lot. What do you do. You stop test driving the other cars and buy the Toyota. 

16 minutes ago, Slinky said:

The team with the 1st pick in the draft worked with the draftees for 20 years? They knew all about all the candidates already?

Great comparison. Nailed it. 

still not getting it...

i'm moving on. This seems like trying to teach a dog to ice skate.

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It'll be interesting to see how it all works out because I'm excited about the hire because I'm an anti-TT guy. I see BG as a Wolf guy, not a TT guy. Maybe he'll fall somewhere in the middle and be a decent drafter but also much more aggressive in FA/trades. Maybe I'll be wrong but if you were to put these guys on a spectrum in terms of using non-draft roster building options, I'd imagine something like:

You might very well be correct about this - I have nothing to refute it. I don't expect him to be TT 2.0 - I just meant that IMO our front office has been pretty good for a while, so it makes sense to bring someone from inside. 

I can't wait for the presser - would love to hear what he has to say about what his approach will be. 

So much reading failure here.

I have ZERO issues with the team wanting to interview multiple candidates. Heck, I would hope they would.

All I said is I'd be more pumped over this hiring if I knew Gute was their #1 guy all along. But the fact that they seeked to interview at LEAST 4 other candidates from other teams, while knowing what they have in Gute. leads me to believe he wasn't their top guy. I'd say if they were allowed to hire McKenzie or Schneider, there's no way Gute would've gotten the job.

You guys crack me up with your over the top flipping out. Slow down, and read more carefully next time. 

5 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Say you've driven Toyotas for the last 20 years and you go to buy a new car. You know you want another Toyota but you decide to test drive other cars first and it confirms you prefer the Toyota. Then you see someone else looking at the last Toyota on the lot. What do you do. You stop test driving the other cars and buy the Toyota. 

Which is what Green Bay did when they found out Gute was gonna interview with Houston. LOL!

27 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It'll be interesting to see how it all works out because I'm excited about the hire because I'm an anti-TT guy. I see BG as a Wolf guy, not a TT guy. 

If you are commenting on how Gutekunst will go about building a roster I can understand this. But Ron Wolf hired Gutekunst late in his time in GB. Most of his time has been with Ted. I would say most of his experience in scouting is under a ted run team, that seems like a Ted guy. Heck Ted promoted him twice.

Of course that doesn’t mean he will be like Ted. Lots of employees wouldn’t run a business like how their boss does.

I mean Wolf was Ted’s boss and ted doesn’t do what Wolf did.

3 minutes ago, Slinky said:

So much reading failure here.

I have ZERO issues with the team wanting to interview multiple candidates. Heck, I would hope they would.

All I said is I'd be more pumped over this hiring if I knew Gute was their #1 guy all along. But the fact that they seeked to interview at LEAST 4 other candidates from other teams, while knowing what they have in Gute. leads me to believe he wasn't their top guy. I'd say if they were allowed to hire McKenzie or Schneider, there's no way Gute would've gotten the job.

You guys crack me up with your over the top flipping out. Slow down, and read more carefully next time. 

Sorry, this doesn't add up.

Interviewing outside candidates while having an in-house front-runner is literally what @CWood21 already referred to several times: due diligence.

Also, there's legal aspect of being required to interview an candidate other than Brian Gutekunst...

Archived