Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

1 minute ago, Slinky said:

They were never allowed to talk to the other 4 guys that they wanted to!! LOL!!! That's why they settled on Gute.

You''re nuts if they think they'd hire Gute over McKenzie and Schneider. 

Fact is we will never know. If Green Bay wanted these guys they would of guaranteed one of them a future position...like DeCosta. Also if they wanted Schneider they just needed to trade... they didn’t.

All we know from reports:

Ball was Murphy’s guy

Schneider was McCarthy’s guy. With Gutekunst being his other guy if they couldn’t get Schneider.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Have you looked at McKenzie's drafts outside of Khalil Mack, Derek Carr, and Amari Cooper?  He nailed his two top 5 picks.  I expect him to do that.  I'll give him credit for gambling on Carr when most teams probably wouldn't.  His "stock" is almost entirely hinged to that 2014 draft.  Much like Schneider's stock is tied to that 2010-2012 drafts.  I'm not convinced that Schneider or McKenzie are these slamdunk options.

And yet we wanted to interview them for our GM position. 

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Fact is we will never know. If Green Bay wanted these guys they would of guaranteed one of them a future position...like DeCosta. Also if they wanted Schneider they just needed to trade... they didn’t.

Seattle also has to accept the compensation package.  It isn't just as simple as the Packers offering up a 5th round pick, and they get the right to take Schneider.  The Seahawks could (and probably would) hold him for Gruden-package.

Just now, CWood21 said:

To do our due diligence...

And all I'm saying is, The Packers KNEW what Gute brings to the table. If he was a 100% slam dunk...if he was 100% their guy...then they wouldn't request to interview guys from 4 other teams. 

15 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Packers couldn't have been THAT impressed with him if they wanted to interview 4 other outside candidates. They were denied those interviews. So they decided on Gute. 

The End. 

Lets say you're taking a multiple choice test. You read the question and then look at the answer choices - you get to B and think that's right. Some people will pick B and move on, others will read C,D,E to make sure they're not missing something. 

In this case, I think you're in the former category? Your point is the fact that we had to read C,D,E meant that B (B for Brian) wasn't a 100% home run correct answer. Others would argue that they'd read C,D,E regardless. I think that's really the only difference in all of this arguments - and we really don't know which side is right.

The proof - as they say - will be in the pudding. Should be a fun draft day.  

Just now, Slinky said:

And all I'm saying is, The Packers KNEW what Gute brings to the table. If he was a 100% slam dunk...if he was 100% their guy...then they wouldn't request to interview guys from 4 other teams. 

Even if they knew he was their guy, what harm did they do by interviewing the other candidates?  Leave no stone unturned.  If anything, the fact that they hired him even before he got a chance to interview with Houston says significantly more.

Chicken/egg... tomatoe/tomatoe... let it go guys. We will likely never know who is right and who was/would have been the #1 choice if all the stars aligned.  Everything coming out now will say Gute was always the #1.

Personally I believe it was always going to come down to the 3 internal candidates unless someone external absolutely knocked it out of the park in their interview.  Even then according to recent years 2/3 of the internal guys were already capable of that. 

I think the external options were courtesy/legal options and were never serious. 

I also think Murphy always had his timetable and wasn't going to let the Texans or one candidate dictate the timeline to him. 

Just my opinion though. In my mind if Gute wasn't their #1 they wouldn't have hired him. 

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

This is one of the better outcomes. Ball stays in his current role as one of the best money men in the league and we get a young, fresh perspective at GM who only answers to Murph. This hire, along with Philbin coming back, is satisfying to me. Now we need to fill the defensive staff and we are ready to role. 

Quite honestly, I think this is the single best outcome GB fans could have hoped for.  The timing for Elliot didn't seem quite right, and I never liked the idea of Ball being the lead guy.  Having Gute at GM with full roster control paired with Ball as his XO seems like a very good situation for the Packers FO.

1 minute ago, Slinky said:
2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

so you are nuts?

When did I say I wanted McKenzie? Like I said, read sloooooower, champ.

you said anyone who doesn't think mckenzie is a better candidate than Gute is nuts.

you can't even keep up w/ your own crap...

Just now, CWood21 said:

Even if they knew he was their guy, what harm did they do by interviewing the other candidates?  Leave no stone unturned.  If anything, the fact that they hired him even before he got a chance to interview with Houston says significantly more.

No it doesn't. Now, had the Packers been allowed to interview those guys, then yes. But they were denied. So they were left with Gute, Ball and Wolf. They say Gute was interviewing with Houston, and pulled the trigger because they liked him over Wolf and Ball. Period. 

Archived