Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

1 hour ago, beveaux1 said:

Excellent interview.  That's what I thought.  no doubt he would have crushed the Texans interview, also. just like the 49ers interview.

They couldn't let him go on that interview in Houston.

My experience (and I've had experience interviewing top execs) has been that good interviewing skills don't necessarily translate into good job skills. Unfortunately, the ability to sell oneself and the ability to build an organization are two different sets of skills, with little overlap. I'm not saying BG won't prove to be a good hire. I'm just saying I would be more comfortable with someone who had a successful track record with another organization. Had they acted a little sooner, Dorsey  would have been a much safer pick. 

I'd like to see Schneider rebuild his now very depleted defense with Kam and Avril's careers being over, Sherman likely being gone and Earl Thomas being a possibility as well. Seattle has ALOT more work to do than some here seem to realize and I'm not entirely convinced John is going to put it back together after that 3 year slam dunk period he had. 

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

“John Schneider would be a grand slam, but Brian Gutekunst would be a home run”

Interesting quote from Rob’s story.

Schneider has hardware on his finger from something he had a huge hand in building.   Hopefully Gute will lead the Pack to one in the near future.  Then he will be elevated from home run to Grand slam. 

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I call b.s. on the part where he says that Ball made the call on Peppers and Hyde. 

Not so fast. McGinn said the same thing. Not specifically, but more than one source said TT passed on a lot the last 2 years. If Ball was who it was passed to ..... makes sense why AR and MM were not fans. The dots connect

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Of course they knew what they had. As anyone who knows anything should know, you interview to find out if someone absolutely blows you away. How many times have we heard that ? We reached out to guys familiar with Green Bay and guys who we thought would be a good fit. It didn't happen. Who cares ? The result would have likely been the same if the sources are correct

Mike Sherman blew Wolf away in his interview for Packer HC. Just sayin'.

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Not so fast. McGinn said the same thing. Not specifically, but more than one source said TT past on a lot that last 2 years. If Ball was who it was passed to ..... makes sense why AR and MM were not fans. The dots connect

I think he delegated .. I don't think he let ball make final call on anything.  If he was doing that they would have replaced him earlier than did. 

Lets look at Seattle's needs going into this offseason 

a RB

two receivers if Richardson leaves, one otherwise 

a TE as Graham is on his way out 

3/5 line positions, possibly 4

Two new edge rushers with Avril and Bennett out

2 corners unless Sherman comes back and isn't a shell of his pre injury self, 1 if you believe he'll be fine or are a Shaq Griffin believer

At least one safety, two if Thomas leaves 

This team is closer to being in rebuild mode than Schneider loyalists want to believe 

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Schneider has hardware on his finger from something he had a huge hand in building.   Hopefully Gute will lead the Pack to one in the near future.  Then he will be elevated from home run to Grand slam. 

Scot Mccloughan built that team. His drafts died when he left

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think he delegated .. I don't think he let ball make final call on anything.  If he was doing that they would have replaced him earlier than did. 

Makes sense but who knows. Maybe that was Ball's on the job interview. It's all guesswork until someone writes a book

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Two new edge rushers with Avril and Bennett out

Avril is out, Bennett is not.  He has a neck injury and can't fault the GM there unless it was TT's fault for Collins.

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

At least one safety, two if Thomas leaves 

Thomas is under contract.  Chancellor same deal as Avril, neck injury, career over.

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

a RB

I don't think they need to invest much at RB.  Carson was looking good, and the problem is on the OL, not the RB position.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

My experience (and I've had experience interviewing top execs) has been that good interviewing skills don't necessarily translate into good job skills. Unfortunately, the ability to sell oneself and the ability to build an organization are two different sets of skills, with little overlap. I'm not saying BG won't prove to be a good hire. I'm just saying I would be more comfortable with someone who had a successful track record with another organization. Had they acted a little sooner, Dorsey  would have been a much safer pick. 

That’s true. Interviewing skills don’t provide a full picture of a candidates worth. However, I feel there is a great importance to it as it pertains to selling a vision or concept. He sold himself and a vision that Murphy apparently bought. The key will be watching to see if he can implement that vision and that’s where I think most tend to fail.  

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Not so fast. McGinn said the same thing. Not specifically, but more than one source said TT passed on a lot the last 2 years. If Ball was who it was passed to ..... makes sense why AR and MM were not fans. The dots connect

There is a very, very big gap between TT delegating some of his general tasks, and TT having someone else make the call on whether to retain Peppers and Hyde.

There are quite a few unknowns with Gute, considering we don’t have much tape to go on with him.  I support the move, mostly because it represents a “possibility” of moving in a different direction with respect to talent acquisition, and there appears to be support from MM and AR.  This is a good place to start, and only time will tell if Gute has what it takes to be a competent GM.  Remaining hopeful.

Archived