Divisional Round: Vikings vs. Saints, Week 19

Riddle

Just now, TENINCH said:

The more I watched old game tape on that I wasn't ticked off at the Saints. I was ticked off at the Refs. The calls they made in that game were awful and they all should have been fined or fired.

This 2017 team is so much better than the 2009 team. I'm over the Saints game in 09.

Agreed...and the fact that the Vikings were even in the game with a chance to win after turning the ball over 5 times should be enough to just be over it...the Vikings didn't deserve to win that game.  This team is far and away a better team than the 2009 one...and arguably a better team than the 1998 one (certainly not a better offense, but overall team...yes, that argument can be made).  

Ehh, the defense on this team is so much better, but the 2009 defense clicked at the right time and that pass rush was a force. We absolutely destroyed the Cowboys line (Cowboys were a trendy pick going into that game), and while the Saints game was a back and forth, at the end of the game the Saints couldn't do a damn thing and we got every single stop we needed to win that game. The difference is having Favre play arguably the best football of his life and having what we don't know may happen with Case could be a much bigger deal than the difference in an elite defense and the 2009 D. I hate Childress and Peterson's fumbling, but I wouldn't call the 2017 team better just yet. This team is still a TBD, and IMO 2009 team was easily good enough to win a SB, if it wasn't for curses and/or coaching cowardice in the 4th.

7 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Ehh, the defense on this team is so much better, but the 2009 defense clicked at the right time and that pass rush was a force. We absolutely destroyed the Cowboys line (Cowboys were a trendy pick going into that game), and while the Saints game was a back and forth, at the end of the game the Saints couldn't do a damn thing and we got every single stop we needed to win that game. The difference is having Favre play arguably the best football of his life and having what we don't know may happen with Case could be a much bigger deal than the difference in an elite defense and the 2009 D. I hate Childress and Peterson's fumbling, but I wouldn't call the 2017 team better just yet. This team is still a TBD, and IMO 2009 team was easily good enough to win a SB, if it wasn't for curses and/or coaching cowardice in the 4th.

The key difference is that Zimmer is a far better coach than Childress.

I don't see this team going out and beating themselves like in 2009. 

Just now, Heimdallr said:

The key difference is that Zimmer is a far better coach than Childress.

I don't see this team going out and beating themselves like in 2009. 

This is a fact as a whole, but the 2009 was a great team and the coaches did a fine job. I'll always hate Childress for how he handled the game at the end, but IMO that happens all the time with the vast majority of coaches. Payton, Belichick and Carroll are the only coaches who don't blink in these moments, I don't trust anyone else, including Zimmer until proven otherwise.

41 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

If we have to play dirty to get a Super Bowl title, I don't want it.

Not saying we need to to win, just that it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Also, your statement is the most preposterous thing I've read all day and I've already gone through Drudge Report.

1 day in and I'm already sick of hearing the cliche that they are not the same team we played in week 1.   I'll tell you this, they are not the same team that went on an 8 game winning streak in the middle of the season either.   They finished the season 3-3 and with a division title and 1st round home game on the line, they lost to the Tampa Bay Bucs.     Right now, they are looking a lot more like that week 1 team then anything.  

I'm not overlooking the Saints at all, I worry each and every week about the teams we face.    Let's hope we don't get a game that was officiated like the KC/Tenn playoff game.  

8 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

This is a fact as a whole, but the 2009 was a great team and the coaches did a fine job. I'll always hate Childress for how he handled the game at the end, but IMO that happens all the time with the vast majority of coaches. Payton, Belichick and Carroll are the only coaches who don't blink in these moments, I don't trust anyone else, including Zimmer until proven otherwise.

Well Carroll did let Blair Walsh kick a field goal... that wasn't intelligent... he blinked

What scares me most is this team hasn't seen a team playing at desperation speed since December 10th. I could see a slow out of the gate performance, where Keenum specifically struggles. Case turning into a pumpkin would be the least shocking angle if the Vikes were to lose. 

Archived