Bengals to hire Teryl Austin as Defensive Coordinator

.Buzz

44 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

What would be the benefit of choosing the raiders over Cincinnati? Would it just be money? I’m sure he’d rather have control over the entire defense rather than just coaching one position and having a BS assistant coach title. 

Several things:

1. More exposure being on the coaching staff for the Las Vegas Raiders with Gruden/Guenther versus the Bengals 1 and done team.
  2. Better Market. Las Vegas > Cincinnati (Less state taxes as well).
  3. Pay

Probably comes down to who he thinks will be the better team over the next 3-4 years.  If there's success he'll get HC interviews regardless of if he's a DB Coach or DC I would think...

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

He'd only stay in CHI as a HC.

I vehmently disagree and now the bears just hired Nagy, makes it seem even more like my tea leaf reading is correct.  Lot of speculation in chicago right now that a deal is already in place and its just negotiation right now

7 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I vehmently disagree and now the bears just hired Nagy, makes it seem even more like my tea leaf reading is correct.  Lot of speculation in chicago right now that a deal is already in place and its just negotiation right now

Well if you vehemently disagree, who am I to argue :)

It's almost like this move is just to torment Ravens fans in the eventuality that we promote Don Martindale to DC. "Hey look over there, it's that shiny thing we could've had but instead we're stuck over here with this piece of crap."

EDIT: Good hire for the Bengals. He's a good coach.

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

Hate to see him leave Detroit. Got blood from turnips more often than not. Gonna be scary to see what he can do with a more talented defense.

One of the concerns I still have is that Marvin is still the head coach.  Guenther started out really well and had some well designed blitzes especially on 3rd downs.  After this first season as a DC though, we got away from blitzing (I think the Bengals blitzed the least or were close the bottom of the league).  My hunch is that was Marvin's doing.  Also, Marvin makes 'personnel' decisions on playing time.  I hope he doesn't micro manage Austin in those aspects and lets him do his job.  I wouldn't be surprised if those were 2 of the major factors in why Guenther left...

52 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Didn't he basically take the Lions defense from like #2 - #27 and it has got worse every year?

No. We went from a team with some talent in the front 7, to a team without.  It's hard to rush the passer or stop the run without talent.

Failing to retain/replace Suh and failing to replace Levy left us with little to no talent in the front seven of our defense. That's on Martin Mayhew, not on Austin.

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

One of the concerns I still have is that Marvin is still the head coach.  Guenther started out really well and had some well designed blitzes especially on 3rd downs.  After this first season as a DC though, we got away from blitzing (I think the Bengals blitzed the least or were close the bottom of the league).  My hunch is that was Marvin's doing.  Also, Marvin makes 'personnel' decisions on playing time.  I hope he doesn't micro manage Austin in those aspects and lets him do his job.  I wouldn't be surprised if those were 2 of the major factors in why Guenther left...

Guenther would fall in the "good" category for defensive coordinators... Right?

Archived