2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

That's true.  But this could easily be a situation where the Browns like, but not love the QBs and utilize the market to maximize their value.

I agree with this. If Cleveland has Barkley/Chubb rated in the same tier as the QBs and they have all 3-4 QBs in the same group, then they absolutely should take Barkley/Chubb then whoever is left. 

Hell, take Barkley/Chubb/Fitzpatrick at 1&4 and trade up for any of the QBs that make it out of the top 10. Or sign Alex Smith/other veteran serviceable QB. That team has way too many holes to think any of these guys will turn them around soon. 

Where does Luke Falk fall to about? I wanted to see this kid, disappointed he didn't make the game. Sorta weird they didn't push funeral off till Sunday I thought, but what do I know.  Supposedly he boosted his draft stock as much as anybody this week and word is scouts were impressed at how he's handled things off the field since he has found out about the tragic death of a teammate. Is he a kid that possibly sneaks into the back end of the first round or is he more likely to fall to the third round or so?

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'll talk more about it later, but Tampa Bay at 7 is going to be the trigger point for the Packers.  Assuming Bradley Chubb is off the board (which at this point seems a near given), they're going to be the first team whose actively looking to improve their pass rush.  New York at 6 could be in the market for a pass rusher, but Tampa Bay at 7 seems the first one set to do so.  IF they draft an EDGE, that could set of a chain reaction where multiple teams take an EDGE player.  IF for some reason no EDGE go off the board between TB and GB, I'd probably be looking to move back a few spots and acquire another pick.  Right now, I'd lean towards

Round 1 - EDGE
Round 2 - CB (via trade-up)
Round 3 - WR, TE
Round 4 - IOL (via trade-down), EDGE
Round 5 - S

No tackle at all?  

We have McCray and Patrick that both played well at RG.  

22 minutes ago, Cheech said:
2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'll talk more about it later, but Tampa Bay at 7 is going to be the trigger point for the Packers.  Assuming Bradley Chubb is off the board (which at this point seems a near given), they're going to be the first team whose actively looking to improve their pass rush.  New York at 6 could be in the market for a pass rusher, but Tampa Bay at 7 seems the first one set to do so.  IF they draft an EDGE, that could set of a chain reaction where multiple teams take an EDGE player.  IF for some reason no EDGE go off the board between TB and GB, I'd probably be looking to move back a few spots and acquire another pick.  Right now, I'd lean towards

Round 1 - EDGE
Round 2 - CB (via trade-up)
Round 3 - WR, TE
Round 4 - IOL (via trade-down), EDGE
Round 5 - S

No tackle at all?  

We have McCray and Patrick that both played well at RG.  

OT has

Bahktiari

Spriggs

Bulaga

Murphy

Between Spriggs, Murphy and Bulaga, you should be able to find a RT and a swing tackle.  Adding in the 5-7 rounds would be fine, but they would likely be hard pressed to make the 53-man roster.   McCray also played some OT last year as well and could get you out of a game if needed.

And this is why I hate YouTube videos of college players. They all look like superstars.

Just watched a video of Roquan Smith . The guy's shown to have got sideline to sideline closing speed - is nothing but a deadly tackler - good in space and coverage and comes with intent to harm. Exactly my kind of defensive football player and think we could definitely use some of that. Pair him up with Josh Jones under good coaching tutelage? We could have a couple assassins on the field at the same time. 

Yeah, yeah......I know.....he's not an edge rusher and not a CB - but remember back when we all thought TT was gonna select an ILB in the first round? When ILB was a definite need (?) and we watched all sort of good ILB talent walk off the board till we snagged Ryan in the forth.

Listen - I dont know nothing about nobody coming out of college this year - but I know when I like what I see - and this guy's got some goods our D could make use of.

What? Is he slated to go in the top 5 or something? Tell me that and I can forget what I've seen....till we're playing against it.

EDIT ADD ON:

Rotoworld: Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports that Georgia LB Shaq Thompson compares physically with Shaq Thompson.
Pauline notes that Smith has the body type of a safety as compared to a linebacker. Interestingly enough, Thompson started his college football career at safety with Washington before moving into the front seven. The 2017 Butkus Award winner played mostly inside with Georgia, so his 6-foot-1, 225-pound size could cause some concern. Still, with his ability to move from sideline-to-sideline and his sure tackling, it's tough to see Smith not being a Day 1 selection.

NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang projects Washington to select Georgia LB Roquan Smith with the 13th pick in his latest mock draft.
The headline if Smith does go to Washington writes itself. Most mocks we've seen have a quarterback going in this spot, but as Rang points out, Washington has an obvious need at linebacker as well with five of them set for free agency. "Smith, the 2017 Butkus Award winner as the nation’s top linebacker, lacks ideal bulk but his speed to the flanks and in coverage makes him perfectly suited to today’s modern pass-happy NFL," Rang writes. If Smith does "fall" here and Kirk Cousins is brought back, this is an obvious fit.

41 minutes ago, Leader said:

And this is why I hate YouTube videos of college players. They all look like superstars.

I'm assuming you're referring to highlight videos?  If you put the player and then vs after it, you'll get some decent looks.  Search "Josh Rosen vs" and you'll get most of his throws in a given game.

4 hours ago, tfalkgopack said:

I agree with this. If Cleveland has Barkley/Chubb rated in the same tier as the QBs and they have all 3-4 QBs in the same group, then they absolutely should take Barkley/Chubb then whoever is left. 

Hell, take Barkley/Chubb/Fitzpatrick at 1&4 and trade up for any of the QBs that make it out of the top 10. Or sign Alex Smith/other veteran serviceable QB. That team has way too many holes to think any of these guys will turn them around soon. 

With the Packers sitting at 14 and Baker Mayfield still available, what trade offer would you rather take?  

Trading down with Cleveland for picks 33 and 35 or Buffalo for picks 22 and 53.  

They are both very equal on the draft value chart from Ourlads.  

Pick #14 = 1100 points

Pick #33 + #35 = 1140 points

Pick #22 + #53 = 1150 points

Maybe we add a 4th or a 5th

This is assuming our top choices are gone at 14.

25 minutes ago, 66fan said:

With the Packers sitting at 14 and Baker Mayfield still available, what trade offer would you rather take?  

Pick #14 = 1100 points

I'd be shocked Cleveland doesn't pick a qb at #1. 

39 minutes ago, 66fan said:

Pick #14 = 1100 points

There are very few scenarios where I move down from a much better chance at a needle moving player. We've heard the excuse over and over about drafting late in the first, why trade down to there when we finally have a chance in the top 15 ? It makes zero sense to me

27 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Eight straight years of picking 21st overall or later, there's nothing that can get me to trade out of the top 20 as long as there's a single player rated as a top 20 pick. 

14 for 33 + Cleveland’s 1st in 2019 would do it for me.

If a QB falls, that could unlikely happen.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Eight straight years of picking 21st overall or later, there's nothing that can get me to trade out of the top 20 as long as there's a single player rated as a top 20 pick. 

But there is real value in trading down, and trading down in round one nets you more (for a smaller move down) than any other pick.

For example, according to the Harvard chart, moving down five spots in round one is enough (in point terms) to package your 2nd round pick and move to the top of round 2.

14 and 46.......or 19 and 33.

You could also use it to move even further up with your (normal) 3rd rounder traded instead, so:

14, 46 and 76 versus 19, 46 and 52.

Depending on how the Packers value the prospects at 14, it may be very good business to trade down, especially if there are several players in the same tier at #14 (just as there were last year when the packers traded back).

Archived