2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

10 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Let's hope he didn't learn too much from TT. In case you missed it, our roster is thin af right now across the board. Remember how we got here. 

Which is exactly why you don't completely throw away the fourteenth pick on an interior lineman. Our guards are fine. That's a pretty piss poor way to upgrade a team that's "thin af right now across the board". Glad your not the GM of GB, our interior OL would go from decent/good to excellent and our defense would continue to be worse than your local HS squad. 

23 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Which is exactly why you don't completely throw away the fourteenth pick on an interior lineman. Our guards are fine. That's a pretty piss poor way to upgrade a team that's "thin af right now across the board". Glad your not the GM of GB, our interior OL would go from decent/good to excellent and our defense would continue to be worse than your local HS squad. 

Right side of the line is iffy to day the least.  Nelson at #14 is not the preferred outcome.  Generally wouldn't want to see a G taken that high.  However the draft is all about value not need.  Need to take the BPA not reach for need.  He's one of the best guards to come out in a long time.  Unless another elite prospect such as Edmunds, Ward, or James for example drops you take Nelson.  I'd take him over Davenport.  Guys have to understand the draft is for the future not instant gratification.  You take the highest rated player on the board especially in the 1st round.  Deviate from it and more often than not you will get bitten in the butt.  Anyone expecting a major impact from a rookie is mistaken.  Rarely do they make a big splash while transitioning to the NFL except perhaps RB.  Yes their are  examples of rookies that do but it's rare.  Usually it takes a few years.

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-southern-mississippi

Moore was phenomenal in his workout today. He measured 6006 and 199 pounds and touched 39.5 inches in the vertical jump and 11-foot-2 in the broad jump. Moore timed a blistering 4.32 in the 40 as well as 6.89 in the three-cone. As was described to me by someone at the workout, Moore “killed it” during drills

Maybe  work that Southern Mississippi channel in the later rounds?

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Right side of the line is iffy to day the least.  Nelson at #14 is not the preferred outcome.  Generally wouldn't want to see a G taken that high.  However the draft is all about value not need.  Need to take the BPA not reach for need.  He's one of the best guards to come out in a long time.  Unless another elite prospect such as Edmunds, Ward, or James for example drops you take Nelson.  I'd take him over Davenport.  Guys have to understand the draft is for the future not instant gratification.  You take the highest rated player on the board especially in the 1st round.  Deviate from it and more often than not you will get bitten in the butt.  Anyone expecting a major impact from a rookie is mistaken.  Rarely do they make a big splash while transitioning to the NFL except perhaps RB.  Yes their are  examples of rookies that do but it's rare.  Usually it takes a few years.

The entire right side of the line is not iffy.  Right tackle is iffy only because our starter and backup may not be completely healthy for training camp. I will take anyone's bet right now that whoever we have at right guard will perform fine during the season.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I want nothing to do with Nelson. If that's what you were talking about I missed it. My point was more general. TT's way of doing things has sucked for years now and our current roster is the result. Gute needs a different and more successful approach. It sure feels like we have closed the doors on pre-draft FA and are just focusing now on the draft. I hope that's not the case or that Gute intends to turn our FA "aggressiveness" back on as soon as the draft ends. Thinking we are ready to put out a good product with what we currently have plus some draft picks is scary. 

Archived