2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I can already imagine how pissed I’m going to be when the  board is entirely blown up outside of Davenport and we pass on him for a second tier corner anyway. 

Share with me why you think Davenport will be so good in the NFL? All I have read is that he has one move and may be a DE more than a OLB/Edge rusher. What am I missing? I mean that seriously, because I ahve not seen him play against anyone of quality.

3 minutes ago, Pilprin said:

Share with me why you think Davenport will be so good in the NFL? All I have read is that he has one move and may be a DE more than a OLB/Edge rusher. What am I missing? I mean that seriously, because I ahve not seen him play against anyone of quality.

Like a 3-4 DE? Otherwise those are the same thing.

Davenport has been debated solidly throughout this thread all the way back to like page one.

1 minute ago, Jaegybomb said:

He's raw with tons of potential but a few years away. I think he would be a little better in a 4-3 too. I can see why the bears are talking about him at 8 but he's worth a little less for us for both those reasons.

How many times does Clay get set on the line at EDGE and drops into coverage? (not often) I'm willing to mildly miscast Davenport for about 10% of snaps or whatever we do base.

30 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

So can anyone tell me why Baker is better than Lamar? They're like the same person except Lamar is bigger, throws harder and runs faster? Lamar has a lot of eye openers too, straight ropes for 30 yards precisely where it needs to be.

If the Jets do in fact pick Baker they deserve their misery.

They're literally NOTHING alike.  Baker Mayfield is a passer who can extend plays with his legs.  Lamar Jackson is a runner who can make some plays with his arm.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They're literally NOTHING alike.  Baker Mayfield is a passer who can extend plays with his legs.  Lamar Jackson is a runner who can make some plays with his arm.

False? Lamar was under fire in a bout 2 seconds every drop back. When he had time he scanned. Baker was working with a much better IOL. Both drop their eyes often when under pressure.

Plus Baker has been working with pro talent at his skills while Lamar has been working with who at receiver?

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

False? Lamar was under fire in a bout 2 seconds every drop back. When he had time he scanned. Baker was working with a much better IOL. Both drop their eyes often when under pressure.

Plus Baker has been working with pro talent at his skills while Lamar has been working with who at receiver?

Let me guess, outside of Mark Andrews do you know a single receiver that Baker Mayfield played with?

20 minutes ago, Pilprin said:

I’m higher on him than most here besides Ray (that I know of). He’s never going to be that quick twitch bender that seems to be preferred but his level of violence and his initial punch against tackles is just as rare to find as raw athleticism at the position. As for him having only one move, that’s something I haven’t agreed with at any time in the process and his hand usage leaves a lot of potential for him to find even more ways to win at the next level. I have him at #2 behind Chubb in the class but not by very much.

Just now, HighCalebR said:

Dede westbrook? Sterling Shepherd? I mean, who has Lamar worked with for 2 years? Cole Hikutini?

Neither one of them were on the roster this year.  Their most talented WR, CeeDee Lamb, was a true freshman.  Down the road, I could potentially see him being a future 1st round pick, but the beginning part of the year he was inconsistent.  Beyond those two, they had two "small" fast WRs in Marquise Brown and Jeff Badet who are at best late round WR fliers based on their 40 times.  The notion that Baker Mayfield is flush with talent isn't true.  They have an elite college offensive system.  The OL I'll give you is head and shoulders better than Louisville's, but let's not paint a picture that he was playing with a bunch of future high draft picks.

10 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

How many times does Clay get set on the line at EDGE and drops into coverage? (not often) I'm willing to mildly miscast Davenport for about 10% of snaps or whatever we do base.

I remember figuring out the numbers a few years ago because a prospect "couldn't cover". IIRC CMII dropped back a bit less than 10% of the time. All the other OLBs did so less than 3% of the time.

I don't know how Pettine will use his OLBs in coverage though.

6 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Dede westbrook? Sterling Shepherd? I mean, who has Lamar worked with for 2 years? Cole Hikutini?

In terms of his game, that Mississippi State game for him was brutal and it's pretty much the epitome of all the issues with him.  He's not naturally an accurate passer, and the touch on his throws isn't there.  He doesn't throw with much anticipation, and too many times you find his feet stop moving in the pocket.  Watch that Mississippi State game, and he's not even remotely draftable as a passer.

8 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I remember figuring out the numbers a few years ago because a prospect "couldn't cover". IIRC CMII dropped back a bit less than 10% of the time. All the other OLBs did so less than 3% of the time.

I don't know how Pettine will use his OLBs in coverage though.

Thanks! Yeah I really think people overblow that because they're called OLB's. If memory serves I think Pettine has always had thicker edge guys. Didn't he give money to Kruger?

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

In terms of his game, that Mississippi State game for him was brutal and it's pretty much the epitome of all the issues with him.  He's not naturally an accurate passer, and the touch on his throws isn't there.  He doesn't throw with much anticipation, and too many times you find his feet stop moving in the pocket.  Watch that Mississippi State game, and he's not even remotely draftable as a passer.

I just don't think either QB should be drafted higher than the 25ish even with added QB value. I'm not seeing a lot of upside with Baker, I think he can give you average QB play. IF you can get into Lamar and he responds to some coaching he could be next level. I just don't think you'll get much more than McCown from Baker if you're the Jets.

Archived