2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

WIDE RECEIVERS

1. CALVIN RIDLEY, Alabama (6-0 ½, 190, 4.46, 1-2): Third-year junior from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. “Ultra quick, fluid, explosive route runner,” one scout said. “Can run the whole (route) tree. Has vertical speed and excellent hands. Polished player. Average size and strength.” Didn’t test well at the combine. “He’s not dynamic but he knows how to get open and get deep,” another scout said. “Very competitive player. He’s a No. 2 receiver, and on a top team he’s a No. 3. Little bit of an overachiever, too. Ridley has less of a bust factor because of his ability to play multiple spots.” Finished with 224 receptions for 2,781 yards (12.4-yard average) and 19 TDs. “He’s probably more mature than Amari (Cooper) but you’ll get the same level of player,” a third scout said. “But he has to be complemented with a bigger guy. Biggest thing is the size on 50-50 balls. He wasn’t a big 50-50 winner in college. He’s just not a big, explosive guy.” Scored 15 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. “He really bothers me because he’s slight,” said a fourth scout. “When people get their hands on him he can’t get off. Now he played with a guy (Jalen Hurts) that can’t pass. But late in the season they were throwing the ball to those freshman receivers.” In his last three games – the Iron Bowl against Auburn and two playoff games – he caught merely 11 for 109 (9.9).

2. D.J. MOORE, Maryland (6-0, 212, 4.45, 1-2): Third-year junior. “He earns your respect because he has excellent hands, he’s fast enough, he’s big enough and he’s a really good route runner,” one scout said. “Plus, he doubles as an effective punt returner.” According to one scout, Moore “went to the combine and became a star” with a WR-leading broad jump (11-0) and a vertical jump of 39 ½. “I didn’t think he’d run that well,” another scout said. “I thought he’d be 4.6. He’s a good little player. Good hands. I just thought he was really slow. You didn’t see a whole lot of quickness and speed. More of a third receiver, to be honest with you. Not nearly as good as Mohamed Sanu.” Handicapped by playing with four or five QBs in 2017 but still posted a 1,000-yard season. Finished with 146 receptions for 2,027 yards (13.9) and 17 TDs. “He can go deep and catch over the shoulder,” said a third scout. “He’s really good at that. He will go over the middle and go get the football. He snatches it out of the air. Off the film he looks like a 6-2 or 6-3 kid.” Matched Ridley’s score on the Wonderlic. From Philadelphia.

9 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Pretty much all of them. Their overall game is better, which is why they are 2nd or 3rd rounders and not in the 4-7 range.

D.J.Moore, Anthony Miller, Courtland Sutton, Christian Kirk, James Washington, D.J.Chark, Dante Pettis, Michael Gallup, Deon Cain, Daesean Hamilton, are among the 2nds and 3rds (the odd one may even go in round one, joining Ridley). That is 11 WRs without even mentioning Keke Coutee or Trequan Smith or Callaway (who has notable character concerns).

While several of your prospects have great size (eg Ateman, Scott) or both the size and speed (St.Brown, Valdez-Scantling, Watson), they are athletic projections more than those who are 2nd or 3rd rounders.

I'd be interested in one of the guys I mentioned, ideally in round three. Why there ? Because the sheer volume of receivers this year, grouped in that area, suggest that several will slide to rd 3........... so for me, that is the sweet spot of talent versus draft spot, for WRs. I'd be looking at OLB/CB/WR with the first three picks (assuming the draft board falls ok).

I'd also look for a second, more  developmental WR later, which is where your list comes in.

I guess I agree mostly. Don’t think there is a ton of difference between a lot of guys. Even in your rebuttal you say you’d look at the 3rd round for a WR, ok I would start in the 4th unless a guy like Hamilton, Chark or Gallup were there in the 3rd. I’d have to think hard on them. Point still stands, we don’t need to worry about WR too early IMO.  I also think a couple from your list have a chance to be there in the 4th; Good guys remaining. 

(Also, I wouldn’t touch Coutee, Trewuan Smith or Callaway.)

5 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2770818-2018-nfl-mock-draft-doug-farrars-final-1st-round-predictions

Packers dream scenario...

Lot of guys on the Harold Landry bandwagon.  I'll take Chubb.

Lots of guys would probably (read: almost assuredly) take Chubb over Landry. Problem is Chubb wont be there.

I want Edmunds. Same problem.

It's the "It ain't happening" syndrome.

:(

Wait - just read the article actually and this guy has Edmunds dropping down to 11? We should go get him! We wont (see the above syndrome) - and I think he's off his rocker thinking Chubb's gonna drop to 14. Not because of anything I think - but he's the first person I've read thinks he'd drop this low.

1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

Derwin James or Denzel Ward or trade back for me at this point. 

If we draft Minkah Fitzpatrick and then stick him at corner for three years and then trade him to Cleveland for a backup QB again..

It'll be a great trade that we had to make. We'll upgrade two mid round picks, that's a big deal man.

Archived